Zook out at Illinois

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Nov 27, 2011.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)
    You gotta love the 12Pac. We get rid of Neuheisel and Dennis Erickson, but add Mike Leach? He'll fit right in here. Bring your calculators...

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Wow, Mike Sherman out at Texas A&M, I thought he'd get another year and I wonder where they will get the money for his buyout and the money to pay a big time coach to come there. Scott is going to be paying more for his seats next season that's for sure.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Sherman never signed his contract extension last year so the buyout is not that large...
    But I am definitely going to feel like I'm in a prison shower when that ticket renewal comes next year...
    :(

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Arizona State Reportedly Offers Sumlin Head Coaching Job

2:10p
    by Jonathan Tjarks

Read More: Arizona St. Sun Devils

With the college football coaching carousel in full motion, Arizona State has reportedly offered their open head coaching position to Houston coach Kevin Sumlin:

Source: Arizona State has officially offered its football job to Houston coach Kevin Sumlin.11 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    The Sun Devils are rumored to be offering $2.5 million a year, which would be a substantial raise from the $1 million the Cougars currently pay Sumlin.

Arizona State has been a middle-of-the-pack program in the Pac-12 for a long-time, with Dennis Erickson, their latest coach, going 31-30 in five seasons in Tempe.

While they have a relatively small recruiting pool in Arizona, they have natural access to the rich Southern California area, especially with many of the Pac-12's programs in disarray.

USC is still on probation from the Pete Carroll era and UCLA just fired Rick Neuheisel, while Arizona (Rich Rodriguez) and Washington State (Mike Leach) just made high-profile coaching hires of their own.

At this point, it's unclear whether Sumlin would take this chance to coach in a BCS conference or whether his agents are using Arizona State's bid as leverage to negotiate a contract extension with Houston or shop around for offers from some of the more prominent schools that may be in the market for a new coach.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Sumlin is this years Brian Kelly, he's likely to go 12-0 get his team to a BCS bowl but not be around to coach that team.

6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I've been told that Sumlin is holding ASU off until he here's A&M's offer.
    I'm also hearing that our coach will be announced on Sunday... which leads me to believe it may be Sumlin...

7. Terry O'Keefe

That's what they were saying on Houston radio, Sumlin waiting on A&M offer. Said that when Ag's got wind that ASU was going to go after him with 2.5M salary offer they figured they would have to make their move now and fired Sherman.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Fritz Hill out at Fresno State, he didn't have a good season but I thought he'd be one of those guys who would hang around no matter what.

Colorado State fired it's coach, don't remember his name but Bobda's favorite ...Gary Barnett...has tossed his hat in the ring!

Aggies have apparently stepped back from the rush to hire and will be going through interviews of several prospects before they hire.

UCLA interested in Al Golden

ASU not interested in Kevin Sumlin.

9. Terry O'Keefe

HUSKER headed south!!! Carl Pellini is the new FAU coach, yeah FAWho? I'm sure getting set for retirement in Fla had nothing to do with Carl bailing on his bro in frosty Lincoln Neb. He's a tad old to be thinking about starting to work his way up the ladder to a BCS head coaching position. Nope setting up a retirement is the most logical reason for taking that job.

10. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I fully understand the concept... :wink:

11. PJMIII

PJMIII New Member

I'd be surprised if Golden left Miami. Didn't he just sign an extension?

12. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

He did just sign an extension, he says he plans on staying at Miami for a long time. That would be a nice turn of events if it actually happens...

13. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

I take that back I just read on the Cane board that Golden will not confirm if he did or did not extend his contract. Inquiring minds want to know!!!

14. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Anyone that doesn't hire Pat Hill tomorrow as a HC is a god damned idiot.

15. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

re: Pat Hill
    That guy is a real gem. Anybody who can win at Fresno State could sell hotdogs to the cannibals. He's a good one.

re: Al Golden
    Reports here say that he was blindsided by what was going on at Miami and he never would have taken the job if he had known that he was facing years of penalties. UCLA is dead serious about him and they're willing to pay him 4-5 times what Neuheisel was making...
    :idea:

16. Terry O'Keefe

Well June Jones was about to accept the Arz State job when key boosters and fans raised a big fuss about him so the AD backed down on offering him the contract. Don't think I've ever heard of a situation where fans influenced the selection of the next coach.

I wonder what Jones tells recruits now when they ask him if he'll be there for 4 years....ummm maybe?

17. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:idea:
    Golden has also turned down UCLA, which is now after Jim Mora Jr.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/MoraJi1.htm

18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Looks like Todd Beckman, Toledo Coach in the MAC, will be the new hire for Illinois?

19. Terry O'Keefe

JO'Co I know you've opined on this before, but what is the biggest impediment to UCLA being excellent again? Are they willing or able to pay the big bucks a top coach would demand? Other than not having an on campus stadium they have a lot to offer.

I saw something that indicated that they were also talking to Steve Sarkesian the Washington coach.

20. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

I believe that Sarkisian turned them down too, but I'm not certain about that. I was under the impression that there were limits to what any UC school could offer to a coach, but that may be changing too. Both of UCLA's last two coaches (Karl Dorrell and Skippy) were among the lowest paid coaches in the nation. But this time around the LA Times and local talk-radio are tossing around numbers of several million per year, so I'm not certain about that either. The biggest reason why anyone would want the job is obvious: easy access to one of the nation's greatest recruiting grounds that surround the school in all directions. Like Miami, or Texas, or Ohio State, there just isn't any excuse for not winning here. Schools as far away as ASU, Cal, Fresno State, Utah and Colorado have made a pretty good living off the players that UCLA turns down. It seems like a great opportunity for the right coach...if that coach can put up with lack of an on-campus stadium; the worst fans in college football; and living in the shadow of USC...