Your next Notre Dame AA

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, May 22, 2008.

1. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

LB

<r>Terry,<br/>
    <br/>
    The kid is a 4 star OLB according to Rivals. Do you find it interesting that even after coming off a 3-9 season, Charlie Weis can still recruit better than Tyrone Willingham ever could?! Amazing how inept TW was (and still is) <E>8)</E></r>

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I see that Charlie has offered another Joisey LB named Glenn Carson a 4* guy from Manahawkin NJ. I am thinking there should be a limit on the # of Joisey guys on the ND team, I mean they might form a gang or something like that if there are enough of them! :)

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry,

This is something I received just this morning from my HS baseball coach in South Joisey. It seems appropriate, given your above post:
    :lol:

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

JIF,

Book a flight to Fort Wayne, IN. Take a couple of the boyz with you. Looks like we've got a situation developing there...

8)

5. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

Krebsie..Is Carlo available...? Ill pick him up at the rest stop of his choice on the NJTPK!

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Godfather,

Do you even consider Camden part of Jersey, or would you prefer to call it an across-the-river suburb of Philly?

7. Terry O'Keefe

Sid I'm sending some defense for you. :)

[​IMG]

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ha ha! That is really cool!

9. George Krebs

JIF,

Yeah, pick up Carlo so Sid can see the error of his ways. Take Big Carlo too.

10. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

Star Wars, eh Doc? You never what film you'll see Charlie in.

[​IMG]

11. Terry O'Keefe

LOL!! Jaws who'd have thunk it!! :)

12. Terry O'Keefe

Well we have another commit, Marlon Pollard who had commited very early to UCLA last year before Karl Dorrel was fired. He visited ND last month and really liked it and has changed his commit to the Irish.

He's a 4* CB and ranked #18 at his position. We always need CB's at ND so I hope he is a good one.

Terry

13. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Polllard

<r>Terry,<br/>
    <br/>
    this one really sort of came out of nowhere! At first I didn't think anything would come out of this except a lot of talk. Figured he would still end up at UCLA. <br/>
    <br/>
    I know how the UCLA fans must feel though cause I seen this sort of thing go the other way for the Irish a couple of times in the last few years.<br/>
    <br/>
    Regardless, the kid looks like he is a great CB and he <B><s></s>and<e></e></B> his Mom REALLY like the idea of him wearing Blue and Gold. <br/>
    <br/>
    Seems we are really accumulating a great group of CBs. <E>:D</E> [/i]</r>

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It's nice to get talented DB like this. While they may not be able to get on the field right away on the D, they sure add to the depth of the team especially kick coverage teams.

15. Terry O'Keefe

We seem to have turned a corner with CB recruiting, for most of the last few years of Holtz and all of Davie we couldn't get a visit from a CB who could cover his grandma. Now we seen to have some depth.

The one thing that puzzles me with regard to our recruiting, is that while we have signed some very good (maybe great) WR's, we seem to strike out on the truly elite level WR's who have that homerun speed. I could understand that under Holtz since we didn't throw the ball that much, but Charlie is a NFL type of coach with an NFL type of offense who likes to throw the ball. Stovall and JeffS both were 1000yd recievers under him and JeffS went from unknown to 2X AA at WR.

Don't get me wrong, our current freshman group plus Kamara and Tate have a lot of potential, but none of them are that blazing can't cover them type of speedsters you typically find at FSU, UF, LSU, Mich, Ohio State.

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

C'mon Terry. That's a glass half empty statement if I've ever heard one. When was the last time we had a WR with "home run" speed? Rocket? Wasn't he Lou's recruit? Dance with the girl ya brung and enjoy the party.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Sid Rocket was recruited in 1988. We've had some good WR's, Derrick Mayes comes to mind, he had a great ND career although to me he'll be forever tarnished by his introduction of that woman embezzler to the team. There have been other good recievers, Lake Dawson, Stovall, JeffS, but none of those guys was a speed reciever. While other teams like USC, Fla, FSU, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, etc seem to always have one of those types of guys starting.

Michael Floyd has great promise and was a top 100 player, he has good speed but not great speed. Even so I expect him to be a very good player as do I Duval Kamara, John Goodmen, Robbie Parris, Dieon Walker...but none are the type of guys the other team has to fear from a speed standpoint.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Didn't we have a "burner" in a guy named Mike Miller? Seems he had a little problem catching the ball among other things. Wasn't Joey Getherall supposed to be fast too?

19. Terry O'Keefe

Both Mike Miller, who was expelled for being a thief, and Joey Getherall were fast. Both were munchkins types though and Getherall excelled mainly as a returner. We had a white kid from Tennessee who was fast as well and when he was healthy he was very effective with the deep route, I can't think of his name but he caught a lot of long balls from Brady Quinn, but he wasn't very big either and was really only effective one year, he had a knee injury that limited him in his career at ND.

20. George Krebs

Receivers under 6'0" are limited no matter how fast they are. When your O-Line averages 6'6" or better you can't find these smurfs.