Womens World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The ‘biased’ article, in the early paragraphs, discussed Hinkle refusing to play in two international friendlies because of the gay pride jersey. The article also noted that the supposedly divisive Hinkle is one of the star players in American professional soccer and is highly regarded by her teammates for the way she conducts herself with teammates:

She’s never said anything bad about me. She never said anything bad about anybody,” forward Jessica McDonald told The Oregonian. “So, for people to pass on that kind of judgment on another human being, I think it’s sort of uncalled for.”

I am not sure if the NWST deserves Sid’s description of being “all inclusive”. Is the goal of inclusivity achieved by excluding from team membership any person whose public utterances regarding social issues are in conflict with those expressed by the most outspoken team members? Is the goal of inclusivity met when the choice put to a potential team member is that she can join the team so long as she shuts her mouth about her religious beliefs. If the answer to that question is ‘yes’ then the definition of inclusivity has become Orwellian since inclusivity and forced adherence to ideological conformity are polar opposites.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Bobdawolverweasel

The Wikipedia passage also failed to include this quote from Hinkle about the Supreme Court’s decision

My heart is that as Christians we don’t begin to throw a tantrum over what has been brought into law today, but we become that much more loving.”

If this is now considered beyond the Pale, divisive hate speech, we, in the immortal words of that modern Irish sage, Connor McGregor, “ are fooked”.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I thought Hinkle opted out when she wouldn't wear the jersey, and her public utterances didn't have anything to do with it?

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So there's something wrong with you if you choose not to play in a jersey that celebrates something that you don't care for but it just wonderful to wear the uniform of this country and then trash its flag and elected leader. Right!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bobdawolverweasel

Hinkle’s decision re not playing in a gay pride jersey for several international friendlies took place several years ago. She was later invited to try out for the USNWT for the 2020 WC but was cut from the team 3 days after arriving at camp. The decision to invite her was heavily criticized by gay USNWT fans. The decision to cut her was criticized by others as an example of religious bigotry since many rated her as one of the best at her position.

The point I was trying to make is that if one is going to criticize someone for supposedly “excluding” people because of their sexual lifestyle, those criticisms seem to be hypocrisy if the same speakers seek to exclude those who hold a differing opinion from theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I guess I misunderstood.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The fact is, no one knows the reason why she wasn't on the team. She had been called up a few times after refusing to wear the jersey. Perhaps as good as she is, she wasn't good enough to warrant a permanent position. Those who want to believe the premise of the article put forth by the writer will believe it. I'm simply stating my position as I see it through my eyes, which is that I'm leery of biased publications on both the left and the right.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I wouldn't disagree, but that is where we are in today's world. Liberals/Democrats try an limit free speech and choice if it's not to their liking. All across the country at Universities liberals have thrown hissy fits if a conservative speaker is schedule to appear on Campus. You'd better be for gay marriage or you are a hater, and in women's sports esp the WNBA and Soccer there are a number of gay women who are out and who are married.

This particular young lady, obviously a very good player, but I'm guessing that the team leaders probably didn't want her on the team due to her public views on gays/gay marriage. That's just a fact of life, liberals are intolerant of those who don't hold to their views.

It was a great tournament, and it's too bad that Megan Rapinoe has made it her own personal sounding board for expressing her political views. That was a great women's soccer team, it was a great win for them. I wish they'd (Rapinoe) have been more like George Foreman when he won his gold medal, than Tommy Smith and Juan Carlos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Isn't this moving into the realm of The Back Room?

10. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yes it is. Maybe it's time to lock this and we can move on to talking sports on the Sports Forum.

11. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Move it if you like but this IS sports news. It is increasingly permeating everything. Why does team acceptance hinge on the affirmation of somebodies lifestyle or sexual preference? As this soccer drama continues to unfold it is becoming a bleak chapter in American sports history. These girls for the most part have lived down to their harshest critics expectations. Look how Kaepernick altered the landscape of pro football. After 55 years of loyal support I turned it off like a faucet three years ago because of his necessity to dishonor this country and those who protect it. When he wore the socks with a pig in a police uniform on the sidelines I wrote the NFL off for the duration. And so did many others. Lebron and some others did the same stunts in the NBA. Unfortunately this is sports at the present.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1