Womens World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 1, 2019.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So you mean, we actually get to watch a sporting event that isn't a platform for some arrogant leftest to spew their political views? Wow that's refreshing. We've seen them infect with their politics everything from family reunions and Thanksgiving dinners to international sports. Now we find we can't buy certain sneakers because....oh my god!, they have an American flag on them.

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

yup, that's exactly what I'm telling you. They play Sunday.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

That's how I see it, KP. But hey, to each his own. If you like it , enjoy it.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

George, I guess it just doesn't upset me to the point of name calling, but hey, to each his own

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

One of the stories for this team, non political, is what has happened to Carli Lloyd. She won us the last WC with her hat trick in the final vs Japan. She's barely played at all. She says she's in the best shape of her career and is ready willing and able, but the coach just has other plans.

6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So Corey... is that your true definition of a patriot?

7. IrishCorey

I think patriotism takes many forms and they are being patriotic in the sense that they are standing up for what they believe in. I read an article last night where they (collectively) were bitching that the Sunday night lineup isn't just them. The way it's working out is that the women are on first in the morning. The Copa America (the championship of South America) is next on ESPN and then the men's team are playing in the Gold Cup in the night cap, which is the championship on North and Central America. These schedules were made a year, and even two years ago, but they are still bitching about it. I think that's sillier than anything else they've bitched about to this point.

As for me, what I do, and how I carry myself as a patriot doesn't have to fit a cookie cutter mold of some Toby Keith video.

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Don't wanna pile on the women...I am rooting for them for sure and am proud of their accomplishments.

But I just want to enjoy sports...I don't want all the victim card crap and stuff...I DO see and believe that they have legitimate gripes regarding financial support for the men's team(s) over women's...and it's not just in the US. I can get behind them in that protest.

Today I read an article from a (female) USA Today writer talking about how they feel disrespected because of the criticisms of their goal celebrations in the first game and criticism of Alex Morgan's little Tea Sipping mime. The gist of the article was that we are all know-nothings who don't understand goal differential and who tolerate and actually encourage those types of smug celebrations from male athletes but hold the women to a different standard.

Speaking only for myself...I DO understand the goal differential thing...but that doesn't mean you have to slide on your back kicking your feet in the air and celebrating in-your-face when you score your 13th goal. I don't particularly mind the NFL allowing goal celebrations (though I prefer the "I've been here before" attitude)...but NOT when they mock the other team or the other team's fans.

So I feel a little miffed when they take the attitude of "well, they think it's ok for the men but not for the women."...No, quit playing the female victim card...Again, I get it that women in the work force are held to an unfairly higher standard of decorum at times...but I don't like it when men act like jerks so I'm not going to feel guilty if I don't care for women acting like jerks.

• Like Like x 4
  9. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Now they're saying that MOST of them won't attend the White House tribute IF they win and IF they're invited. I'm having a REAL hard time cheering for these spoiled brats...

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I understand people disagreeing with their politics and not wanting to support them. I just wonder why we have to call them vulgar names just because we disagree with them?

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I disagree with her saying she won't go to "the ******* White House." Heaven forbid anyone would get vulgar.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I guess you're right

13. IrishCorey

This is the hardest American team to like that I can remember. And with that said, this is another perfect opportunity to check out the young American men's team who is playing in the Gold Cup final against Mexico tomorrow night. If you're not watching them, you're missing out on guys like Westen McKennie and Christian Pulisic who are bonafide world class studs. We haven't had this type of talent before, they are just very young. It's a fun time to be an American men's football fan.

14. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Netherland's goalie has made some terrific saves in the first half!

15. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

USA USA USA!!! WE GOT SOME TOUGH GIRLS!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Congratulations to the Women's team they are the best ever likely!

USA USA USA!

• Like Like x 1
  17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Nice to see LaBells get both a goal and recognition for her play throughout the tournament. She's a wonderful ball handler in traffic and also an outstanding passer. I thought Dunne also was outstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The drive and shot on the 2nd goal was epic

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

One of the greatest national team but when it’s co-captain decides to kneel for the national anthem, my interest in their team waned. If the historic principles and present state of the country does not meet her expectations, she could have declined to play for the national team. But, doing that would have deprived Rapinoe of the endorsements and the opportunity to become a prominent member of the anti Trump multitude which also can be very financially profitable and provide one a multitude of Twitter fans

All nations are flawed when judging their historical past. But, this country is the oldest surviving democracy and shed blood to provide freedom for millions of citizens of other nations and the opportunity of personal freedom to the millions who left their homeland to come here. Dissatisfaction with the present occupant of the White House should not provide a license for boorish actions that insult those who gave everything to create and preserve this nation

Recently, a Syrian soccer player refused to play for his national team and, in fact, was killed in combat trying to overthrow the Assad regime. When I think of courageous dissent and honor, I will think of him, not Rapinoe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the USWNT on showing how a mentally and physically tough group of elite athletes can rise to the top of the soccer world and win the highly coveted and prestigious Women's World Cup. Proud of them. All other conversation is - for me - white noise.

• Like Like x 1