Will We Have College Football This Year?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

B12 is going to the conference only plus 1 non-conf game. Texas likely to play UTEP. No start date for the season other than mid to late Sept.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting article on The Athletic about Fla and SEC recruiting.

Florida has a solid foundation and is more than competitive in the SEC, but it is a full step behind Alabama and Georgia in the talent department. The Gators have 11 four-star prospects committed in their 2021 class, but not all four-star prospects are created equally. Right now, there are 29 five-star prospects, according to the 247Sports Composite, in the 2021 class. There 314 four-star prospects. The difference between a four-star prospect rated No. 30 overall and a four-star prospect rated No. 320 is monumental. And when you look at the Gators’ class, it includes only three players in the top 200 overall. Compare that with Alabama, which has nine players in the top 125, including four five-star prospects (out of 29 total in the nation).

Since 2018, Georgia has signed 16 five-star prospects. Alabama has signed nine. Florida has signed one. It’s not even the same galaxy when making the comparison between pure talent on those rosters. And it shouldn’t be surprising that the teams with the most talent win the most games.

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Dan Mullen has assembled some very good talent at Florida and has more coming in but maybe the talent rankings have become more accurate and a 5 star is a 5 star and Mullen has been missing out on those guys.... like Justin Fields for instance who was close to being a Gator before choosing Georgia.
    Maybe the College Football Playoff further separates the elite from the very good and these top rated players want to go where the playoffs and championships are being attained and not just play in a New Year's six bowl game. That said..... NC and Tenn are having great recruiting seasons so far according to current rankings.

4. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of incidents that have happened show the tenuous times we are in right now. Gary Patterson is under attack for using the N-word in a conversation, he didn't call any body an N-Word but he did tell a player he shouldn't use that word in Team meetings. The fact that he said the actual n-word is the issue. He's since apologized and I guess it's everybody is ok now.

Nick Rolovich the Wash State Coach got into social media trouble when a player taped his conversation and then leaked it, Rolovich seemed to be saying that it was ok to opt out for health reasons, but he wasn't OK with opting out for support of the Pac12 player letter. He said that at the time he said that he didn't know the content of the letter.

"I wanted to clarify with Kassidy that his decision was based on health and safety and reaffirm our policy related to COVID-19 and the assurance of his scholarship," Rolovich's statement reads in part. "Without knowing the concerns of the group, I regret that my words cautioning Kassidy have become construed as opposition. I'm proud of our players and all the Pac-12 student-athletes for using their platform, especially for matters they are passionate about. WSU football student-athletes who have expressed support for the #WeAreUnited group will continue to be welcome to all team-related activities, unless they choose to opt out for health and safety reasons."

Rolovich also noted that his conversation with Woods took place before the Pac-12 players' group released its statement and demands on Sunday. Woods said he and a teammate first began discussing the group with Rolovich several weeks ago.

5. Motorcity Gator

Everything in America is pretty effed up right now..... especially sports.
    MLB is on the brink of cancellation..... nothing seems legit hardly and even if they play college football in a Covid environment it's not a solid prospect week to week that it's going to be accomplished based on team's and conference's reaction to new infections.

Waiting this pandemic out just is not working. Politics of any sort... of any kind or affiliation related to the virus needs to be squashed and every ounce of energy, money and resources should be applied to forcefully rid America of this scourge.

Here's an example of how this coming season is diluted:
    Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman Opts Out of Season; Will Prepare for 2021 NFL Draft

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  6. Terry O'Keefe

In a shock, Notre Dame transfer to BC (Phil Jurkovec) gets immediate eligibility. It's become pretty much a joke, who doesn't get it these days. JT Daniels got it at Georgia last month, an Ohio State kid who also transferred to BC got it as well. None of them had hardship cases or anything that used to be necessary to get immediate eligibility. I think this is going to be the future. 1 time transfer waiver.

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I hate to say I told you so, but, I told you so. Justin Fields was approved because he didn't feel welcome at Georgia but his sister stayed. I just feel this is the end of college football as we know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Certainly makes it hard to keep the cupboard full... but then again you can be taking as much as you're losing. Will definitely make roster management tougher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Too much like free agency in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

It is obvious that the NCAA is heading toward doing things just like the NFL. The concept of amateur sports is going the way of the dinosaur and sports as we knew it will never feel the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Terry O'Keefe

UConn becomes the 1st FBS team to cancel football for 2020. They were moving from the AAC to the Big East for all sports except football and would be playing as an independent this year.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yes, and when it does, I'll have to find something else to do on Saturdays, just like I do now on Sundays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

There have been articles about UConn considering dropping football. Cancelling this season could be the first step to ending the program. Given the financial losses to schools caused by Covid, would not be surprised if we see fewer schools field football teams.

15. Bobdawolverweasel

Looking at the BT schedule and not seeing Ohio State but Northwestern as the final game is surreal.

16. Terry O'Keefe

I agree Bobda, the financial hit is going to be severe on more than a few Ath Depts.

UConn being a member of the Big East in all sports except football of course, probably should consider dropping back to Div 2 if they want to continue.

ESPN has a story up now that Idaho might be the next to opt out of the season. Reportedly 3/4 of the team wants to opt out of the season over the virus.

17. Motorcity Gator

Is it just me here that feels like we are not collectively doing enough to attack this problem? I just don't know what we as a nation are waiting on.
    Seems like we are a rudderless ship drifting around waiting to hit the rocks while the captain and first mate fight over control of the wheel.
    I just hate to see this happening.

If it's not going to work in sports how's it going to work anywhere else?
    Like schools for instance....

18. Bobdawolverweasel

And I see Terry that Colo St players reporting coaches are telling them not to report if they are experiencing Covid symptoms and warning players not to opt out of the season due to Covid fears. If this is true, that is some bat-**** crazy conduct.

19. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

What are these kids watching that would make an 18-21 yr old elite athlete FEAR a cold enough to miss an entire season? (No matter what the media tells you... Covid19 IS a cold virus)
    This ain't the F'ing plague, especially for that age/health bracket.
    They are probably at LESS risk from this than from the flu last year.
    Amazing.
    Well if you opt out... I'd be in favor of pulling the scholarships.
    I know that won't happen, but seems equitable to me.
    You damn sure don't get a stipend.

20. Bobdawolverweasel

Liability exposure would concern me. Most young people seem able to battle a Covid infection without major issues but there are exceptions especially if the young person is obese or has some other underlying health problem . If a school is ignoring Covid precautions or telling players not to report symptoms to staff and a kid under their watch proves to be one of the exceptions and becomes seriously ill or dies, the school’s BOT major question to its defense counsel will be how many zeros due we have to place after the numeral 1 to make this case go away so that a jury will not burn us to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1