Will We Have College Football This Year?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

While I don't know what the Irish will have on their uniforms, or for that matter what any schools will have on their uniforms. But in the current environment pretty much all of sports is trying to find ways to accommodate the desires of the players to speak out on this issue. With football being a sport with a high % of black athletes it would be folly for a coach/program to ignore the wishes of the players, sure negotiate and moderate what is to be done, but not ignore.

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

These are crazy times George, nothing surprises me anymore. Thank goodness many of us grew up in the good times, love honor and obey and respect our country and the presidency. I am not a back room guy, but I hope my post will not upset anyone.:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

SEC plan is in....10 conference games, no non-conference games.

No LSU/Texas
    No ND/Ark
    No Clemson/S.Carolina
    No Fla/FSU
    No UGA/Ga.Tech
    No Louisville/ Kentucky

ACC teams are going to be scrambling to get that +1 game that is allowed. ACC has mandated that it be a home game and involve a team from the home teams same state. For the Irish the selection is very thin only Ball State is even reasonable, after that it's Evansville, IUPUI, Valpo, IUFt.Wayne. Navy and W. Michigan are on the orig schedule but they don't reside in Indiana.

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I am very disappointed in the SEC position of only conference games. Several of those are long time rivalries and in the same stare with very little travel involved. Makes no sense to me,

5. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

RIP Harvey. The ESPN documentary on the Alabama/Auburn rivalry was one of their better ones and helped me better understand its intensity. Unfortunately, the segment about Updyke was a sad story of obsession and insanity.

Harvey Updyke, poisoner of Auburn trees, dead at 71

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Don Ballard

According to a letter sent Thursday to Big Ten athletic directors by commissioner Kevin Warren and Chris Kratochvil, the chair of the conference's task force for emerging infectious diseases, a decision on whether preseason camp will begin as currently scheduled will be made “within the next 5 days.“

8. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Michigan had a major Larry Nassar issue with a doctor who treated school athletes in the 1980s. The story today is that both Bo and AD Don Canham, also a revered figure in AA, were informed about the abuse but nothing was done and the abuse of athletes continued to go on for years.

Ex-Mich. student: Schembechler knew of abuse

Since the events took place 30-40 years ago and the team doctor and Bo and Canham are dead, the full story of who knew what and why nothing was done may never emerge but there are now over 100 lawsuits filed. What was not noted in the story is that Bo later became AD after Canham retired and the team doctor still continued working during Bo’s tenure as AD.

10. Terry O'Keefe

I saw that Bobda, amazing and sad how athletes have been abused. USA Gymnastics, Ohio State had it's issues, now this has come forward at Mich and of course the situation at Penn State. You have to wonder if there are other situations like this that haven't been exposed.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Also the Iowa situation hasn't gone away. I'm pretty surprised at how it's handled. The 3rd party Iowa hired to investigate, confirmed what the players said happened and in addition to the S&C coach who was let go with a 1M dollar payoff, there are several other coaches on the staff who were identified along with Frentz. Ferentz issued an apology and vowed to do better, the coaches will be retained apparently and try to do better as well I guess.

12. Bobdawolverweasel

Re Michigan, it almost seems that coaches and administrators in athletic department treated the issue as the players having to endure a minor inconvenience from the pervy team doctor

“Oh, so Dr. Pervert did the fingers up your butt exam when you saw him for a head cold? Deal with it buttercup”.

Fact remains that even though this took place 40 years ago, pretty certain that there were laws on the book at that time that defined this as a sexual assault and medical regulations that would have defined the action as professional misconduct justifying the doctor’s medical license being revoked.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I know that standards for physical abuse changed over the years. Every football coach ever, restricted water breaks, grabbed facemasks, pushed players around for years. That, of course, has changed. The sexual abuse is a totally different situation. That was never ok. I'm sure it is more widespread than any of us realize and has been covered up for obvious reasons.

14. Bobdawolverweasel

But, I still cannot understand why they felt a need to cover up. A team physician is a respected but relatively minor figure in an AD. If that person engaged in criminal behavior and was fired, the university’s reputation might take a short term hit and they may be compelled pay out some settlement monies but that would end the matter and the media stories would eventually die out and become a distant memory.

Canham was not only the most successful AD of his era in college sports but was a very successful businessman and someone who has a reputation of being highly ethical. If it is shown that both Bo and he knowingly allowed students who they had a fiduciary duty to protect to be abused and failed to take action to protect them because of what they perceived as their school’s reputation, their legacies will be that of athletic success and moral rot and corruption.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It is hard to believe they let it continue.

16. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the NCAA is going to meet to decide what to do about fall sports championships. If we have football, how can they not at least attempt to have the minor sports championships?

17. Bobdawolverweasel

If there is a season, looks like the M/Satanic Empire game will be played earlier in the year rather than in its customary end of year slot.

Report: Michigan vs. Ohio State likely to be played early in football season

I love the idea. Might as well get our ass handed to us early on rather than getting stomped on at season’s end and being depressed through Christmas and then turning suicidal to start the new year after being thumped again in bowl game.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Don Ballard

There is eternal hope out there Bobdda!:D

19. Terry O'Keefe

Pac 12 has set it's schedule. Apple Cup will not be the final game for Wash/WSU, CAL/Stanford and USC/UCLA and Oregon/Oregon State. I wonder why they set it up that way.

Also the A&M AD said that they will go for 50% capacity at home games, and that the 45K season ticket holders will come first and that the students will fill in what's left. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

20. Terry O'Keefe

The AAC has announced that they will stick with an 8 game conference schedule, allowing it's member teams to play multiple non conference games. With this model, it will allow Navy to play both Notre Dame (if it agrees to come to South Bend) and Army. I imagine ACC teams that lost games to the SEC conference only will pickup an AAC opponent to fill those slots, unless they decide to not bother with a non conference game at all.