Will We Have College Football This Year?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Don since the Big 10 is only going to play in conference and they have a 9 game conference schedule is that all the games they will play or are they going to add a conference game or 2 and play 10 or 11 games?

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Good question Terry, right now I have read nothing additional about those possibilities. As of the moment, I would say just the nine conference games and the Big Ten Championship game for a total of ten games.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Maryland halts voluntary workouts because of Covid outbreak and the Patriot League becomes the second conference to not play fall sports.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Iowa State AD says the Cyclones will lose 40 million dollars if they don't play football this fall. I'm sure the number will be bigger at places like Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, etc.

But I'm not sure the Ath Dept losing money is the reason we have to play football this fall. We have to first consider the safety of the players, nothing will be worse than a lot of sick players and maybe some who become seriously ill.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Local School district has nixed all athletics for Sept at least. Part of their program to start the school year 100% online. I have also read that other school districts are considering the same. I am not very confident we will have HS football in Texas.

6. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Can't wait for the time when we get a vaccine or get this all under control another way.

It's disrupting all of our lives and can have negative effects on the way we all live.

Baseball does look like it's going to move forward and my Fantasy league has our draft on the 25th.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Well Lincoln Riley is confident we'll have a season.

"I just can't imagine a scenario [where we don't play]," Riley said. "Whether it's something we do in the fall, whether it's a shortened season, whether it's spring, there's nothing we should take off the table. Regardless of what we have to do, I don't think there's anything we can't work around and we can't adjust and can't make work in order to play college football. We've all got to do our part on that."

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

A little more optimism on his part than last post?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

They've cancelled the Tournament of Roses Parade! No word on the bowl game.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Michigan athletics announced Wednesday that if a college football season is played, games at Michigan Stadium will be held at a reduced capacity or with no fans at all.

Consequently, tickets to each game will be sold on an individual basis and season tickets have been suspended. Only season-ticket holders and students will be allowed to purchase the individual game tickets, and there will be no direct sales to the general public.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I was listening to ESPNU and they had the Maryland recruiting site guy on and while they were mainly talking about the season and Maryland being the latest school to shutdown due to multiple positive tests, they also talked about it's effect on recruiting. He had a take I hadn't heard before. At ND we feel this extended no contact period has hurt our recruiting, as most feel that it's essential that recruits come to campus and see how things are, it's in general a very positive experience and helps parents/kids become comfortable with the idea of 1) coming all the way to South Bend and 2) the Catholic nature of the school and 3) the academics. But the Maryland guy said he thought it was positive for them as their higher rated players who have verballed to Maryland can't take visits to places like Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, etc and so he thinks it less likely that they'll decommit from Maryland.

12. Terry O'Keefe

13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

That would be an easy decision for me if I was in charge... pack your stuff and get off campus right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Also out in California. They are deferring the start of HS football till Dec with the playoffs and state championships late March mid April.

This will make for some tough decisions for some of the kids. Those that had planned on graduating early and enrolling in college will now have to decide whether or not to stay and play their senior year or to graduate and move on to college.

Here in Houston a number of districts have pushed football into October start. It's not a state wide decision but as more districts decide to do it, the state association will need to take some action.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Well optimism is alive and well in Austin. Texas expects to have 50K fans in the stands for games

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Well the SWAC became the latest FCS conference to delay football till the spring. A shorter schedule will be played, 6 games and then a championship game.

While in Texas the High School Assn issued an amended schedule that has the 2 highest classifications being pushed back a month while the rest of the schools can start on their regular schedule. Makes no sense to me.

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Cal was the first state to allow players to profit off their likeness. As usual, never enough. I'm with Scott. If you don't want to honor your scholarship, pay your tuition or pack your ****.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Terry O'Keefe

ND Ath Director, Jack Swarbrick, said he hopes the season start will be delayed and that we play 8-10 games. Right now nobody is saying when the season will start, B10 and Pac12 have just said only conference games, no schedule released. The rest of the Power 5 are waiting to make any decision.​

19. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't realize the Chik-Fil-A kickoff Classic in Atlanta was 3 games, not the usual 1 game. It's in jeopardy right now, they claim it will cost Atalanta 100M in revenue if they aren't played.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Rutgers and Michigan State have shutdown and they are isolating their players.

This is the challenge. It's one thing to have to isolate the team in July, but what about the week before a game.