Will We Have College Football This Year?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Btw in watching some these old games, I realize how good Frank Broyles and Bud Wilkinson were as color guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

89 Iron Bowl up next, 1st time at Auburn. I forget why they stopped playing at Legion Field. Going to record it.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yes, he is! He is probably our only kicker that is. That kick is one of the highlights of most greatest plays compilations. His family owns a big RV manufacturing business in NW Alabama. Tiffin RV's are really nice.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Agreed. Obviously they knew the game inside and out and did not need to talk constantly.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

They stopped playing at Legion Field because Auburn considered it an Alabama home game. Also the game had gotten too big for Legion Field. Parking was terrible and the stadium was very old. Another factor was that Coach Bryant was not around and he liked playing in Birmingham for several reasons and his desires carried a lot of weight. It still took Auburn several years to get it changed.

6. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

This, x1000.

7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

One of the most fun experiences I have had as a college football fan was attending the Alabama vs. Florida game at Legion Field in 1987 when Emmitt Smith was a true freshman.
    Unranked Florida upset number 13 Alabama when Emmitt Smith introduced himself to the SEC that day in his first start as a Gator by running over 200 yards in totally shocking the Tide and their fans.

8. Terry O'Keefe

One side benefit for Neb that the B1G decided not to play this season, is that with attendance restrictions that would have meant the end of the Neb sellout streak. I guess that they could claim it continued if they only offered 20K tickets for sale and they all sold out though! :p

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Painful to read but funny

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Terry O'Keefe

I haven't finished the '89 Iron Bowl, but I don't remember the Alabama QB, Hollingsworth. I usually remember these guys but I draw a complete blank on him. I remember the Auburn QB, Reggie Slack though.

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Gary Hollingsworth was one of those guys who was good, not great. He threw a lot of interceptions as i remember so he was really a "do no harm" type of qb. Alabama had a very good running back (Siran Stacey) and a.decent.defense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Thank goodness President Trump took my advice. Now maybe we will have some football this fall in the Big Ten!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Terry O'Keefe

It will be interesting to see what those new updated procedures are

15. Terry O'Keefe

Finished off the '89 Iron Bowl, Auburn won 30-20. It was a great game, except for Alabama fans. Auburn fans were fired up, this was the biggest game in Auburn history. They even printed tickets to the game that were huge probably 2 or 3 times normal size. 4th win in a row for them. One other thing in watching these old games is that the Coaches and staff aren't in "Game Day" Gear like they are these days. Dye wore a sport coat and tie. Quite a few coaches wore suits or sport coats back in those days.

Pat Haden was doing the color and he commented that Hollingsworth broke Scott Hunters passing record and I remember Scott Hunter. Just odd I don't remember Hollinghsworth.

Keith McCants was a man among boys that year, I remember him well. He played one year for the Oilers, he was the guy who broke up the fight between Kevin Gilbride and Buddy Ryan, well not really much of a fight since Buddy sucker punched Gilbride!

Another thing I learned is that teams didn't like going to Auburn to play. Such as Georgia, Auburn and Georgia had been playing since the 1890's and Auburn didn't get Georgia to Auburn till 1960. I looked it up and they played something like 10 years in a row in Columbus Georgia at one time. Played a few in Birmingham and some in Athens. Also Tenn had a long history with Auburn and yet didn't go to Auburn for a game till 1974. Georgia Tech and Auburn also had a long history, Tech didn't go to Auburn till 1970. They never said on the broadcast why teams wouldn't go to Auburn.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I didn't realize that. I don't know why either.

17. Terry O'Keefe

kp was it John Parker Wilson who was sacked so many times by Auburn in an Iron bowl they started to feel sorry for him?

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

No I think it was Brodie Croyle around 2005 and thanks for bringing it up!:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Well that QB transfer from Wake Forrest to UGA is done. He's opting out inorder to prepare for the NFL draft. I thought he, Jamie Newman, would knock it out of the park as the QB in the new UGA offense. I thought he would beat out USC transfer, JT Daniels, easily given JT was still rehabbing from his knee injury that opened the door for Kedon Slovis at USC.

Maybe JT is further along than what I've read, no doubt JT Daniels is a big time QB, and while Newman showed a lot at Wake Forrest, but doubtful he has the arm talent that JT has, but more mobile.

There were reports that Justin Fields has been hanging out at UGA practices, and that of course caused speculation that he would transfer back to UGA and because the Buckeyes weren't playing he'd be again granted immediate eligibility. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

No way Terry!:)

• Agree Agree x 1