Weekend in Review #6

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Mo,

I think the best historical marker to use to predict how the human polls would turn out if the scenario you envision becomes reality is 1984 when an undefeated BYU was ranked higher than 1 loss Washington even though nearly everyone agreed that the PAC 10 was a much tougher conference that year than the WAC.

Also, if only MSU, TCU, and Boise go undefeated, I think voters would even be more likely to rank State highly to try and make sure that one of the paticipants in the BCS game is from a major conference.

Iowa is probably a better team overall but they are pretty beat up after the Wisconisn game. I think State has a real shot to run the table.

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Lotta football to be played Bobda.

Right now it's Auburn vs somebody else.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Hey wasn't it 1966 that Notre Dame with a tie finished ahead of Alabama that was 11 and 0? As a matter of fact Michigan State, oddly enough, had a tie also and finished ahead of Alabama that year, but y'all probably remember that one. 8)

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Yes KP in '66 NO. 1 ND and No. 2 MSU played to a tie and for some reason, pollsters didn't seem it would be right to move the Tide ahead of the other 2.
    At least Ala. had a better claim to No. 1 than MSU that got tied at home and thought that that proved that they were the better team. Go figure.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yup, so I guess it's not unprecedented that a team with a lesser record could move ahead of a team with a better record even if they are both from major conferences? :wink

6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Going to Iowa City and taking one on the chin wouldn't be "choking it up" as you say, the Hawks are a fine football team, but just got done playing and losing a tough one to a very physical Badger team but will be tough at home and few college teams would want to make a living playing in Happy Valley, Sparty still has tough work to do to run the table...
    I agree Sid.