Week 9 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

That loss has to hurt!

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Texas fan base only slightly less angry than ND fan base. Really bad game for Sam Ehlinger, we have a bye week before Kansas State comes to Austin. Not a lot of optimism right now that we can win. That was a bad defensive effort and game plan against an unranked foe with a freshman Qb.
    KSTATE game is huge now, lose at home and the season could be lost

3. Terry O'Keefe

Certainly things narrowed down a little bit. Nobody saw that loss to KState by OU. I really thought they had a great chance to go undefeated.

I think right now Ohio State is the best team, followed by LSU mainly because we don't know about Tua. Clemson it the most likely to finish undefeated as they really just don't have a team on the remaining schedule to threaten them. The loser of the LSU/Alabama game now has an angle to the CFP assuming they finish with just that loss. Ohio State, SEC Champ, Clemson, and possible 2nd SEC team. OU got in last year with 1 loss, and I guess it's still possible. Still can't see Oregon in the picture. I don't mean to slight Penn State, if they beat Ohio State in Columbus then they could end up the Big 10 representative.

4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

During the next few weeks, things always seem to sort themselves out for the playoffs, not always to our liking but in reality that is what happens. Still a lot of football to be played, but this season ir rapidly coming to an end. Time really does fly by anymore.:)

5. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Kansas State’s running game was impressive yesterday. Experts were touting Okla defense all year but they were mauled by the Wildcats. It was fun watching the TV shot of the Sooners defensive players on the sideline with looks of disbelief on their faces. They were served a big plate of humble pie in Manhattan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

I think KState made a great hire in Chris Klieman. He dominated FCS at North Dakota State, and he is a great fit at KSU. They are 1 win away from bowl eligibility.

Scott Satterfield is another great hire, by Louisville. Doing well in his first year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Polls are split on who is #1 LSU or Alabama. Well in 2 weeks that will be answered. The the #3 and #4 slots are also split between Clemson and Ohio State. Penn State is just outside at #5. They have a date in Columbus with the Buckeyes and that will likely settle things for the B1G just as Alabama/LSU will for the SEC.

There are other undefeated teams, Baylor, Minn, and App State are also undefeated. But it's hard to imagine that group making a playoff run.

So with either Alabama or LSU picking up a loss and either Ohio State or Penn State picking up a loss that would leave at most 3 unbeatens. Alabama/LSU winner, Penn State/Ohio State winner and Clemson. All of those 3 teams will have to win their conference championship to remain unbeaten. Clemson is highly unlikely to lose again. But the Gators/Georgia winner could upset that LSU/Alabama winner giving us 2 undefeated teams, but I don't think it's likely the Big10W champ will upset either Penn State or Ohio State in the B1G champ game. So it seems likely we'll have 3 unbeatens and maybe 2. Leaving that 1 slot for a 1 loss team. I'd say the most likely is the loser of the LSU/Alabama game, but could be OU if they recover from the upset and finish the season strong with 1 loss.

Oregon and Utah are both now in the top 10 with 1 loss but there is a lot of parity out their in the Pac12 and Oregon barely survived Wash State at home and have to go to USC at L.A. Utah has some tough games left, so I won't be surprised if both pick up loss #2 before they make it to the championship game. But if the Ducks or Utah win out, they would be in the running for that #4 1 loss slot.

8. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

SMU all the way....

• Like Like x 2
  9. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

One loss SEC Champ is in.....or an undefeated one.

10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Ya know, as top heavy as the SEC seems this year, the conference really does have some bad losses and looks this season.