Week 9 College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Trying to beat Scott on getting the topic started.

The big games are starting to happen this weekend.

1. Georgia vs Florida in Jacksonville. Always a big game and both teams have had the week off to rest and prepare. Will JT Daniels be back at QB for the Dawgs, who will be the QB for the Gators. Gators have lost 2 out of their last 3 games. I just think they are a better team than they have showed so far this season. I expect Mullen has used this week to come up with an offensive plan to handle the Georgia defense. Could be a close game or could be a Georgia blowout. Don't know.

2. Cincinnati @ Tulane The Green Wave aren't a very good team right now, they aren't that same team that almost beat OU in Norman. Cincinnati probably handles them with easy in The Big Easy.

3. Alabama has the week off to rest and prepare for LSU

4. OU vs Texas Tech This is a mediocre Tech squad but one that handled KU better than the Sooners did this past weekend. Still I imagine that Caleb Williams will not have a cold start vs the Red Raiders and the Sooners will kill them at home.

5. Ohio State vs Penn State At Columbus I can't see the Nit's doing much. I mean Illinois ran all over them and couldn't throw the ball a lick. CJ Stroud and the Ohio State WR's can pitch and catch and the Buckeye running game is better than Illinois. I think the Buckeyes will lay 50 on them.

6. Michigan @ 8 Michigan State This is where the rubber pellets hit the road! Both ranked in the top 10, but neither team has played a ranked opponent and both teams probably should have lost to Nebraska. Michigan is the road favorite here, -4.5 points with the over/under at 54 points. So not a high scoring affair. I would think the pressure is all on Michigan, as the Spartans have no doubt far exceeded their fans expectations for the season, not that they will be ok losing but for Harbaugh losing this game will be a bitter pill.

7. Oregon vs Colorado Buffs are not a good team, Oregon after a rough/tough win at the Rose Bowl over UCLA should coast to an easy win here.

9. Iowa @ Wisconsin Badgers went old school to beat Purdue last week, not sure that will work against that Iowa defense. Badgers have been bad at QB all season, if Iowa doesn't have to fear Grahm Mertz I don't think the Badgers can run. Iowa probably won't have as bad a game on offense as they did against Purdue, although Wisconsin is a very good defense as well. This is likely to be a low scoring affair decided on some turnovers late in the game. Iowa cannot lose another game, Wisconsin must win to have a shot at the East title.

10. Ole Miss @ Auburn A big SEC game for both teams. Both only have 1 conference loss and have to win to keep any hope of slipping past Alabama should the Tide trip up somewhere along the way. Auburn has a couple of solid road wins at Arkansas and at LSU and a tough road loss to Penn State back in Sept. Ole Miss has Kiffin, Popcorn and pizzazz and also beat Arkansas and LSU. Could be a really good game.

11. Notre Dame vs UNC UNC preseason had a Heisman candidate in Sam Howell at QB and a top 10 ranking. Things haven't worked out well for them, their defense has not been very good, they had to win in a shootout vs Miami last week and lost to a bad FSU team recently. If the Irish can continue to improve their OL play and play some good defense then we should win at home.

Texas @ Baylor This is a must win game for the Longhorns. The loss to OU was painful but the loss to Oklahoma State was more than that, it created some doubt. Is Casey Thompson really the QB to lead this team? Can the defense play a whole game? Dave Aranda has done an excellent job taking over for Matt Rhule, a win here would no doubt put him in the "hot coach" category. A 3rd loss in a row esp to Baylor will be another bitter pill for the Longhorns to swallow.

FSU @ Clemson Boy will Clemson be glad to see FSU in Death Valley this weekend. FSU not a very good team, maybe Clemson can get some offense going to support their defense. Will Dabo make a switch at QB? He did bench DJ for awhile in the Pitt loss, but I'm guessing that DJ will start against FSU. Although FSU is on a 3 game winning streak so maybe they've started to figure things out, a loss to FSU at home would be devastating for Clemson. I can't see Dabo letting that happen.

Duke @ Wake Forrest. Wake escaped West Poing with the win last weekend. This Duke squad is on a 3 game losing streak, Wake is on a roll with that offense and I can't see Duke stopping them. I do wonder if David Cutliffe has reached the end at Duke, a nice man and a good coach though.

Virginia @ BYU It's a long road trip for Virgina a team with an explosive offense and who is 6-2 with a 4 game wining streak going. BYU had a great season going before losses to Boise and Baylor, got back on track at Pullman beating Washington State. Mountain air, altitude and the long flight probably give them the edge.

UCLA @ Utah Both teams got a loss last weekend. Both teams need this win to keep alive their hope for the Pac 12 Title game. Will likely be a frosty evening for the boy from L.A.

Oregon State @ CAL Who had Oregon State to be one of the best Pac12 teams? Nobody I'll bet. But CAL is woeful and should be no problem for the Beavers who if they continue to win will make the game formerly known as the Civil War as big a game as it has been in years.

Aggies are off this weekend to rest up and prepare for the final push.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Bobda, see what you've started? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Down goes Matt Wells the Texas Tech Head Coach. Reportedly will be fired later today.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported on Monday that Wells will soon be fired by the team following a 5-3 start with losses in three of their last five Big 12 games. Texas Tech offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie is expected to be named interim head coach.

Per the report, Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt will make the announcement later today. The move would end Wells’ time in Lubbock after 30 games with a 13-17 overall record. He was 7-16 in Big 12 games.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Mike Leach on Halloween candy.

5. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Halloween decoration in East Lansing…

C59BD6B8-E918-4C89-B14D-44DF0E3198B9.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

I see that James Franklin says that QB Sean Clifford will be 100% for the game with Ohio State. He did play against Illinois but was apparently limited. It's good news for the Nits, but I don't think it will be enough. Buckeyes at home will still roll.

It doesn't help that James Franklin is unsure who and where they are playing!:D

“My focus is completely on Illinois and this team and this program,” Franklin said when asked if he’s committed to being the Nittany Lions’ coach next season. “We’re trying to be focused on Illinois and talking about Illinois as much as we can.”

“(It’s a) tremendous challenge going on the road to The Big House,” Franklin said, mistaking Michigan Stadium for Ohio Stadium

7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Franklin is too busy reading texts from his agent about how much money L$U is putting on the table to get him to Red Stick.
    I hope he goes... I've never been sold on that guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I have to say that Mike Tomlin's denial of interest in coaching in college (USC) was probably the most solid denial of interest I've ever seen. I actually believe him, whereas in most cases the denial is usually followed up by taking the job that the denial was all about.

9. Terry O'Keefe

A little bit surprised not to see Bryce Young on this list.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Actually one.of the things about Young is that he is hesitant to run when a pass play is called. Saban actually said they have no quarterback run plays in the game plan for Young. In the past 2 games he has reluctantly crossed the line of scrimmage after scrambling out of the pocket.

11. Terry O'Keefe

That's a bit surprising. I always assumed that he would be a slightly bigger version of Kyler Murray who was a very dynamic runner when needed at OU. Of course while having a QB who is a running threat seems to make the offense harder to defend it also brings into play injury!

12. Terry O'Keefe

I noticed in the Yahoo contest this week that they had SMU as the underdog in their trip to Houston to play the Cougars. Given how well SMU has played so far this season I was surprised. Houston isn't a dog though and I certainly expect they'll play well and maybe win. But I still would have thought that even at home they would be the underdog. I also note that the Yahoo players aren't buying it and 83% have picked SMU to win.

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I think I am anxious to see how we matchup vs Penn State and their defense. Supposedly Clifford is 100% to go at QB per Franklin. I like the fact this is a home game for us. We are endeavoring to have a Red out with special new Red uniforms. Fans are requested to wear all red if possible? We are favored by 21 but that does not seem realistic to me.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Don, I'll be surprised if you don't win by more than 21 points and score at least 50 on the Nits.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Don,

K I L L them. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I don't see the Gators having much chance with Georgia.

I certainly did believe we would beat both LSU and Kentucky.

Hopefully I am wrong about out chance with Georgia, but I just don't see it.

Some other very good games this week, Michigan - Michigan State should be a good one.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Bill what is your take on the Emory Jones vs Anthony Richardson QB battle?

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Looks like Troy gave Coastal Carolina a run for their money. I should have watched the game.

19. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I am not quite sure what to say.

Our vocal fans want Richardson to take over and are really down on Emory. I like them both and am glad I don't have to make the decision. I do think Richardson probably has the higher ceiling and wouldn't want to lose him to transfer.

Mullen insinuated during the pre season that we might see both them in the game at the same time. I think that has happened once or twice.

Jones is listed as the starter this week but Richardson is expected to get a lot of playing time.

So I am glad I do not have to make the decision.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Well I wonder whom will upset whom in the B1G TEN today?o_O

• Agree Agree x 1