Week 8 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Also listening to sports. I believe most feel that the Buckeyes are currently the best and most complete team. Offense/Defense/Special Teams. LSU is thought to be #2. A lot of people feel that right now Clemson doesn't belong in the playoffs. They play a weak schedule being the biggest complaint.

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Great recap for week 8 Terry!

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"5. Jake Fromm. What the hell has happened to him. 9-12 for 35 yds. Against the Irish he was terrific, he was so accurate and was patient with the ball. He wasn't flashy like Tua or Trevor. But for a team that likes to run the ball he was the perfect compliment. He'd better figure it out or the Gator defense is going to eat him alive."
    I think if the Gators get their top two pass rushers back in two weeks then Fromm will be feeling some serious heat from the Gator D and if those Ga newbies at receiver really are the root of the problem for the Georgia offense then the Fla DBs will also be difficult on the Ga passing game.... allowing UF to focus on their offensive strength... Swift and Co. at RB.

4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Let's not overlook Vanderbilt beating Missouri.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I counted 10 undefeated teams left. I know that either LSU or Alabama will have least one loss at the end of the year (that makes 9 at the most). Either Ohio State or Penn State will have a loss (that makes 8). App State is probably not really in the mix for the CFP, so make that 7 undefeated at the most by the end of.the season. I would.say that Oklahoma and Clemson have the best shots at being undefeated in the rest of their schedules. So who are the other 2 going to be? And why is no one talking about Minnesota?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Ballard

And why is no one talking about Minnesota?

Good question Kp, assuming we make it to the BIG TEN Championship game, the Gophers very well might be the opponent from the West Division!

7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Minnesota’s schedule has been quite week so far. Their best win is a 3-point road win over a 3-3 Fresno State. In the upcoming weeks, they will play Iowa, Penn State and Wisconsin at home. i have watched a few of their games. I would classify them as a good team and they look well coached but I would be very surprised if they go undefeated. Minnesota has not won the BT since the early 60’s and it would be fun to see them get to the BT championship game but their 5 decade history of mediocrity and weak schedule so far has caused most to have a wait and see attitude about them. Fleck has improved the team but the next few weeks will answer the question of how much is the improvement.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bobda, I get it. I think the next few weeks will answer a lost of questions. Some really good matchups coming up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Last year when there were 3 undefeated team was the most undefeated Power 5 teams in the CFP era. Just 2 years ago there were no undefeated teams.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Corey, that was a much needed win for Vanderbilt, and a big upset. Missouri other than the opening game loss to Wyoming was playing well and in control of their own destiny in the SEC East. But reality was nobody thought they were going to actually beat Florida and Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IrishCorey

I don't know why people would think that, Missouri has done well in the East since joining the SEC.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Missouri did actually win a SEC East title, but I believe it was when both UGA and UF had bad years. They certainly don't have the talent level that either of those squads have this year. While of course anything is possible, Missouri doing better than #3 in the SEC East this year would be a shock.

13. Motorcity Gator

Missouri has been a real pain in the ass to Florida teams this decade.

I'm thinking UF will absolutely need that game if the Gators manage to beat Georgia in Jacksonville and for a lot of marbles.... the SEC East championship and to remain firmly in the playoff discussion in a post-win over Georgia scenario.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Gators are going to have to win the SEC Championship to make the CFP. Only LSU and Alabama have a shot at 1 loss non-SEC Champ route to the CFP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. IrishCorey

Agreed. Also, Terry, thanks for recapping the struggles of Army this year. That team has been an absolute mystery to me. One of my good friends from high school has a son playing for Air Force now, so I guess I'll have to be sympathetic to the Zoomies for the next 4 years. :)

16. Motorcity Gator

Thats a given Terry..... Florida would have two losses if they don't win the SEC Title.
    The Gators hung with LSU without their top two pass rushers in Baton Rouge. So in a neutral Atlanta if we get those two guys healthy I'm feeling that Dan Mullen and Todd Grantham might cook something up that works.
    They just have to get there first..... without another loss.

17. Don Ballard

Saturday's game between the Badgers and Ohio State is one of those game where I will be happy once it's over and we hopefully can still be undefeated. Approach by most sports enthusiasts seem to think there is no way Wisconsin can win this game in Columbus. I, on the other hand see this as a real challenge for Wisconsin to suck up the loss to Illinois and lay one on the Buckeyes here in Columbus. Wisconsin has always had quite a bit of success being a spoiler and especially in football.:(