Week 7 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 9, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well we have Tues, Wed, Thursday, Friday and Saturday games. As you might expect nothing meaningful happens till Thursday.

West Virginia @ Houston Man is this a case of careful what you wish for, Cougars are 0-fer in B12 play, while the Mountaineers are 4-1 with 3 Power 5 wins. Cougs need some magic

SMU @ East Carolina Future ACC SMU is 3-2 having put up a good fight with OU in the loss while ECU is 1-4. Go Mustangs!

Friday 3 games but it's this one that will get the eyeballs

Stanford @ Colorado. Should be an easy win for Deion and the boys. Stanford is woeful.

Saturday:

1. Georgia @ Vanderbilt. Hide babies and the old ladies. Actual lyrics are Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies...:D:D:D name that tune.

2. Michigan @ Indiana Michigan will not be challenged by the Hoosiers

3. Ohio State@ Purdue. Buckeye fans no doubt remember a trip to West Lafayette that didn't turn out well for the undefeated Buckeye team. Well this isn't that kind of trip. Purdue has no defense. Buckeyes will run and pass at will.

4. FSU v Syracuse ACC battle that won't be much of a battle. Even Clemson's offense got well vs the "Cuse

5. OU vs UCF Well the Gus Bus got a raise and an extension recently so that's as close to a win as he'll get this weekend. Oh he'll know the former UCF QB, Dillion Gabriel so maybe he'll get an autograph after the beat down.

6. Penn State vs UMass They are the Minutemen, right? That's about how long they will be in this football game.

7. Washington vs Oregon. This is the game of the week. Future B10 rivals go at one last time as Pac12 rivals. Both have 6th year Heisman Candidates at QB. Oregon has a big mean and fast defense. Washington has the best trio of WR's probably in college football. Must see TV.

8. Oregon

9. Texas Longhorns get the week off to lick their wounds and prep for the Houston Cougars.

10. USC @ Notre Dame The Irish are a mess after that beat down in Louisville. I don't know what kind of team will take the field vs USC. USC had to go to 3 OT's to finally beat Arizona, maybe they were looking ahead. They don't have a great defense so maybe the Irish offense can get something going. It's been a tough week so far in South Bend. Need a win or at least a great showing, taking them to 3 OT's and losing like Arizona would seem like a win.

11. Alabama vs Arkansas These Razobacks were thoroughly beat up by the Aggie defense just recently. I can't see much better in their future with the Alabama defense.

Other games.

A&M @ Tenn Aggies need to regroup and go to Knoxville to face a good but not great Vol squad. Their only loss was a sort of a no show performance in Gainesville. But they do have talent and Aggies will need to bring the A game.

Iowa @ Wisconsin. The New Badgers are unbeaten in Big10 play and their competition for the Big West is the Iowa Hawkeyes who just lost their QB and are back to hoping the defense can score. But important game for both squads in the West. I'm sure there is a bucket or something up for the taking as well.

Auburn @ LSU Is the Auburn offense bad enough to make the LSU defense look good? Brian Kelly finding out that LSU fans are very demanding. I hope he has a Pirogue handy for a quick exit out the back bayous. He does have a great QB and offense though. Maybe he can lay 70 on them and the fans won't notice a lousy offense scored 50!!

Miami @ UNC Hurricanes gave away the game to Ga.Tech last week. Should've been the battle of 2 unbeaten squads lead by two QB's who are having great years. Can Miami recover emotionally?

UCLA @ Oregon State A couple of 1 loss teams who have Pac12 Championship dreams. Oregon State's loss was to Wazzu who UCLA just beat, UCLA lost to Utah.
    Important game in a somewhat wide open Pac12.

Enjoy the weekend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

HA! I've been around too long and seen way too much misery to buy that mess when playing in West Lafayette. They don't call them the "Spoilermakers" for nothing. Gimme a win, any win and I'll be happy to move on esp with a really, really good PSU team coming to Columbus after a two week bye

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The Irish better have at least 35 in the tank or were going to take it on the chin again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

I got the San Diego Kid 50 yardline tix for the game. He'll be rooting for the Buckeyes. Me, I might not even watch it. Hate these games.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Dang Stu you must have some pull to get tickets like that for the Kid.

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Looks to be muggy, wet and windy for Saturday's game. Not good for the Buckeyes in my humble opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BuckeyeT

....and so the script begins to emerge. Trap game if I ever saw one. If there is a silver lining it's that our OL has been so roundly dumped on if they have an ounce of competitive pride they'll come out pissed off and prove the doubters wrong. Love to see it, not holding my breath tho. Looks like Henderson due back, Egbuka iffy with an ankle/foot.

9. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Don, 57 degrees doesn't ever translate to "muggy" where I'm from, no matter how humid it might be. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Stu Ryckman

No got them early enough...visitor's side. Price was pretty good as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

If you expand the printed part of this tweet, it's the story of how Roger Staubach became a legend in football and in life after football. IMO it's a great read and will take only a couple of minutes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Another tidbit on Staubach.

Staubach set his sights on playing football for Notre Dame, but when they passed on him he decided to enroll at Purdue. A recruiter for the U.S. Naval Academy, sent to Purcell to sign up the team's center, became interested in Staubach after seeing the quarterback in action on some of the team's game films.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Interesting. I had heard about his interest in ND, but I didn't know about Purdue or that the recruiter was interested in another player on his team.

14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Wheaties could have made Staubach a permanent fixture on its cereal boxes.

15. Terry O'Keefe

I only watched the 1st half of the Stanford/Colorado game but the Buffs were in cruise control so I went to bed. Color me surprised to see that the Tree came back from a 29-0 half time score to win in 2 0T 46-43.

Colorado sure has had some wild games this year.

16. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Wild game Terry, I was shocked to see the score this morning.o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BuckeyeT

Egbuka out, Henderson questionable, backup Williams out, Tyler Trent remembrance, sloppy track, bad sh-tuff always happens at Ross-Ade......my day is not starting well Stu!

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Arkansas has climbed back into this game. If Alabama doesn’t get its offense in gear, the Hogs can steal this one.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Whew!

20. Terry O'Keefe

Quite a battle going on in Knoxville.