Week 7 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 8, 2019.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Heisman hype fan, but Hurts, Burrows, Tagavolua all seem to be doing well. The problem is there are a lot of other football players doing well but unfortunately the qbs and a couple of rbs are the only ones getting any attention. Nothing new about that though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

This weekend seemed to be a "just win and move on" week for a lot of us. The Alabama win was not a dominant win. Mond was able to run way too much and Alabama had way too many penalties. Tua was not quite as sharp as usual but we were able to run the ball although a lot of those yards came late in the game. LSU scares me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

To recycle an old joke from Mike, the state of Michigan needs to recall its ambassador from Wisconsin. ( Or impose a 100% tariff on Wisconsin cheese.)

W 61 CMU 0
    W 35 M 14
    W 38. MSU 0

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"LSU scares me." They didn't scare me.... just caused me a little concern.
    We didn't have our two best pass rushers available and that was a killer in the second half.

But now the LSU offense certainly does appear to be scary and they will be formidable for any team they are yet to play. There's no gimmicks in that offense.... it's just plan crisp and efficient and if you don't pressure Burrow then forget it.

But Bama has a chance I think to outscore them.... something like a 45-42 shootout.
    Heck if Trask doesn't throw that int with 7 minutes left and instead it's a TD then it's a 35-35 game and anything could happen. So LSU isn't unbeatable.... but they sure look damn good right now.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

No relation, Don...but I think he's gonna be a good one!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I would be too kp!:)

7. Stu Ryckman

Methinks this would have been a great year to go to 8 teams. :mad:

8. Don Ballard

It's not going to happen for a few years at best, but I fully understand what you are saying.

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Don Ballard

Bobda, have you changed your allegiance to Michigan as well?:) Those Badgers are looking pretty good to me!

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think that if Dantonio smiled his face would break. Boy his he dour.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I'm back, and some "deficiencies" reared their heads in this game.
    First... I don't know what Roney Elam did, but Jimbo hasn't let our best DB play in 3 weeks, and God did we need him yesterday. The Sumlin retreads like poor Clifford Chattman (#22) were woefully outmatched against those Bama WR's. We had guys in the right place on several of those short throws... and they watched the receiver just run by or around them.
    Next... I mentioned our lacking DE's in a previous post... Good lord I was beginning to question if we even had them on the field.
    Can't rush... can't set the edge, can't do ANYTHING. Ghost DE's is what we have now. Landis Durham, oh how we missed you.
    Finally... our special teams have been pretty good for the last 2 years. Wow... were we outdone there.
    The blocked punt was just a total "was that my guy?" moment, and is inexcusable.
    We have 1.5 classes of Jimbo's guys on this team. We saw how badly we need the next two on campus NOW.
    And... on the unsportsmanlike Rogers got - it was a dumb thing to do, but I don't blame the kid for being mad... he was raped well before the ball got to him, which happened more than a few times.
    I don't blame the Bama guys - if they aren't calling it... play as hard as you can.

Time to regroup... gotta win next weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Top 10 was shaken up. Georgia dropped all the way to #10, Irish moved up to #8, and Gators are #9.

There will be more shaking coming in as we are now in to the meat of schedules. Penn State will have to beat Michigan and Ohio State. Ohio State will have to beat Michigan, Wisconsin (maybe twice) and Penn State. LSU and Alabama will face off, Bama of course has Auburn as does LSU. The 2 teams with the best chance of finishing undefeated look to be Clemson and Oklahoma.

A lot of people feel like right now that Ohio State is the best team, yet the people who vote don't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, that's ok, on the punch that got Smith ejected, I don't blame the A&M guy, if you are going to take a punch at a guy, take the first punch.

Actually, I was really impressed by Monde. He was in it for the whole game. I hope he is okay because he was in it til the end when he was obviously hurting. A&M worried me before the game and this one was closer than it looked.

15. Stu Ryckman

Man, you look at the top 10 and think what a bunch of great teams. The playoffs really start in the regular season at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

kp,
    I said at the time O'Neal should have been ejected as well. He's a total hot-head and jaws all the time.
    I was looking right at him when he threw that punch, and hontestly thought they would both go.
    I guess that was just a case of the 2nd guy getting caught.

17. Terry O'Keefe

How many times have we seen this in football at all levels, the guy who starts it doesn't get noticed but the guy who retaliates is noticed and gets the penalty/ejection. While I know we are getting over replayed probably, but it seems like in situations like this that the refs should be able to review the incident and then maybe toss both guys rather than let the instigator get off with out a penalty or ejection.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

When I look at the top 10 I see a bunch of teams at the top who just have superior rosters.
    Alabama
    LSU
    Clemson
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma
    Georgia

Those 6 teams have rosters full of 5 star and 4 star kids.

Notre Dame and Penn State and Florida have good rosters, but don't match up with the top 6.

Wisconsin really has a roster full of home grown and developed kids who are mostly 3 star with a few 4 stars mixed in.

Georgia alone has something like 16 5 star players.

Speaking of Georgia, that game was so much like their loss to Texas in the Sugar Bowl. Now with the 1 loss and Fla with no losses in the SEC East, is in the drivers seat, and the Fla/UGA game is for all the marbles in the SEC East. Jake Fromm has been the ultimate QB for the Georgia offense which is a run first offense (other than Wisconsin might be the only one left). He's been a high % passer who has been mostly unflappable back there as the QB. This game was just about his worst game as a UGA QB.

19. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Re: Punching in sports.
    You can be the 1st guy. You can be the 3rd guy. But... you can never be the 2nd guy. Everyone knows that.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Nobody is talking about Minnesota. 6-0 and likely to get to 8-0 with Rutgers and Maryland up next. PJ Fleck has his boys rowing the boat.

• Like Like x 1