Week 6 college football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Oct 3, 2023.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Just looking at scores sitting here in the airport. Ewers has thrown 2 picks already, that's not good.

LSU down 22-10 to Missouri. LSU fans are not a patient bunch, Brian Kelly loses this game and things can get ugly fast in Baton Rouge.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Buckeyes sleep walking after bye week. All tied up at 10-10 halftime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don Ballard

Two different halves today and the Buckeyes prevail 37-17.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorns ambushed by OU, Ewers 2 picks and 3 turnovers. Worst was leading with like a minute 20 and they let OU drive the field for the win. This one hurts. Stats wise Ewers had a lot of yards and completed a high % of his passes, but stats are for losers. When the chips were on the line Dillon Gabriel took over and won the game for the Sooners.

The A&M game was like the Ohio State game a tale of 2 halves. The Tide just took over in the 2nd half both on offense and defense.

LSU was able to out score Missouri and get the win.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

At this point I'm taking any win. Milroe played a pretty good second half. He makes.some good plays but his negative plays are really costly. Again way too many penalties. Also we had the ball With a minute to go, A&M one timeout and we threw a pass to the flat. Incomplete, stopped the clock and.we had to sweat out the last.7 seconds. I just don't understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I got home in time to see some of the 2nd half and to me Milroe looks much improved over the Texas game. Also your defense is coming together. Also have you found a couple of WR's who are maybe not Devonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle but look fast and good to me.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Burton is a UGA transfer and has shown some flashes but Milroe hasn't been able to get him targets. I think that Rees is just cutting down on Milroes options to try to simplify the game for him and it worked today.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

All you had to do Miami was take a knee...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BuckeyeT

Continued concerns about the OL. 62 yards and 2.5 YPC (sack adjusted) on the ground against a very average Terp front is not gonna cut it -v- bigger boys in the conference - PSU, the stripeheads or even perhaps Wisky in Madison. If it's a personnel issue not sure it's fixable near-term. Still have a bit of time left but there is much to be done and I'm not optimistic that this OL can be developed into a unit capable of competing for a championship. In a complete reversal of the recent past, can this defense carry them? I think they're much improved and a legitimately good unit but I don't think they're that good.....

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Don Ballard

BuckeyeT, you have nailed the coffin and it's difficult to swallow, but I must admit I think you are right on on your analysis. Penn State two weeks away may give us the answer?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Shock of the night besides the thrashing of the Irish is USC having to go to Triple OT to beat Arizona.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Scott's boy Haynes King was the hero!

Haynes King threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Christian Leary with one second remaining after Miami turned the ball over with the game all but won, and Georgia Tech stunned the 17th-ranked Hurricanes 23-20 on Saturday night.

The Yellow Jackets went 74 yards in 24 seconds, just after the Hurricanes had the option to kneel down, likely run out the clock, win the game and remain unbeaten. Instead, Don Chaney fumbled the ball away -- Miami argued he was down, referees disagreed -- and the Yellow Jackets pulled off a stunner.

"Not going to make an excuse for it, say we should've done this or that," Miami coach Mario Cristobal said of not taking a knee. "That's it. We should've done it. Sometimes you get carried away with just, finish the game and run it. I should've stepped in and said, 'Hey, just take a knee.'"

Said Georgia Tech coach Brent Key: "We kind of thought they were taking a knee

14. BuckeyeT

Yep, we'll certainly have the answer to the question after that game. To put things in perspective, the MD Def is FEI ranked 28 (opponent adjusted) - frankly better than I thought, but still 28. PSU is 5, TUN is 6. We struggled running the ball -v- a solid but not dominant ND front (ex - Henderson's home run) yet Louisville seemed to have an answer that we couldn't muster. I'm not saying yet we have a lousy OL, I'm saying that we have yet to run the football effectively and not at all in short yardage and I fear the worst....

15. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Congrats Kyle, your side outcoached mine without a doubt.
    And Jimbo's ridiculous clock management at the end made sure we didn't even have the hope of a hail mary.

What a day for ball tho. It was 75 degrees and sunny with a nice north breeze.
    The crowd was rockin the house. I suspect Bama set a personal record for false starts in that one.

Unfortunately for me... one of Nick's assistants reminded him of the Miami tape they had watched, and decided that blitzing every play was the way to go against a mediocre OL that still hasn't figured out how to protect by game 6. That shut down our offense for the most part.
    I sure wish Weigman had been the guy for this one... he showed against Miami that he could mitigate the porous OL some with his quick decisions and legs.
    I'm thankful we have Max Johnson to take over, but he has neither the legs nor quick decision ability to cope with full pressure on almost every play.

Milroe ain't a superb passer, but he's tough as nails. He got the snot knocked out of him quite a few times, and bounced right up for the next play.

Some of the Aggie's goals are probably now out of reach, but they are still talented enough to win the rest of their games. Probably won't, but no reason to be down right now...

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, at this point a win is a win. It wasn't pretty but I'll take it. Our offense still has no identity and both defenses were pretty good especially against the run. I think Rees simplified the offense so that Milroe didn't have many decisions. The good news about that is all he had to do was stare down Burton. The bad news is that if Burton was covered, Milroe didn't know what to do. I'm a little surprised that we didn't call a few more QB runs. Our penalties are an ongoing problem, I figured Saban would have solved by now, but they were a problem last year too. The Aggie defense shut down our run game and really put the pressure on Milroe in the first half and I'm glad we were able to kind of solve that problem in the second half because we still were not able to run the ball. Anyway, it was an exciting game. The crowd was part of the problem with the penalties as it always is in College Station.

17. Terry O'Keefe

The traditional basketball powerhouses continue to shine on the gridiron in 2022.

The top six schools by appearances in the AP men's college basketball poll are Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA and Louisville.

For the first time in the 87-year history of the AP football poll, all of those schools are ranked at the same time: North Carolina is No. 12, Louisville is 14th, Duke is No. 17, UCLA is 18th, Kansas is No. 23, and Kentucky is No. 24.

Louisville jumped 11 spots to its highest ranking since 2017 after defeating Notre Dame to stay unbeaten.

The Irish slipped 11 spots to No. 21 after a second loss in three weeks to an undefeated team.