Week 6 College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Congratulations Scott! Alabama will probably have to run the table to make the playoffs but they have the coaching and talent to pull that off,

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

That described Neb season so far.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Phew, just got home. Kp, your WRs are still really good, just not imortal like that previous batch. That 2pt snag was super. But some timely drops certainly aided my tired defense. Busy day tomorrow but I'll check in with impressions in the evening. Thanks for the well wishes.

4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Congratulations Scott, a great win for the Aggies.:)

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Earlier this week I posted the following:
    "Scott, I think what A&M needs to do is play their own game and hope it is enough. Ole Miss got out of their normal game plan and it hurt them. Alabama's offense has gone from a quick strike, long-ball team to a short and medium pass, running team that is putting together longer, time-eating drives. Our defense is inconsistent, vulnerable to the run and the short passing game. Alabama is very good. Our quarterback is very accurate and our running backs are good, not great. Our wide receivers are good, not great. A&M has a good chance to win this game but they must do what they do very well and probably get lucky with some turnovers."

Scott, yall did all of that and more. Your blitzes were very effective. That huge receiver you have is a real weapon. Calzado had a terrific night. Accurate, strong and tough. Your offensive line gave him plenty of time to really pick our defense apart. I can't believe A&M has lost 2 games. It will be interesting to see how the rest of your season goes after this win. Again, congratulations.:(

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

How did the Aggies lose two games prior to this?

That was some game they played today.

Bama can still run the table and beat Georgia in the SEC Championship game and make the playoff. But another loss most likely eliminates them.

I read that this is Saban's first loss to one of his prior assistants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

One other comment, Kentucky is now 6-0 with Georgia coming up this week. I imagine they get their first loss.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Difficult loss for the Tide, but win streaks can only last so long. The Aggies played with confidence and home field crowd.Not sure if anyone will go undefeated this fall?

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Georgia/Kentucky game may be interesting but I still think Georgia is the best team in the country.

11. Terry O'Keefe

So Alabama's incredible streak of wins over unranked foes stops at a few more than 100. Who's got the longest streak now? The Irish, I forget how many it is but it's a long way from 100+ that Alabama had going.

How about the exciting and close games yesterday.

All starts with of course the big A&M over Alabama win with the gutty last drive and kick. Backup QB found his game. Defense gave up a lot but in the end they closed out the game.

Then there was the epic collapse of Texas against OU, OU with a freshman QB who hasn't played much and didn't play last year as a senior due to his HS opting out of the season due to Covid. I thought Texas had it in the bag at halftime.

Penn State had the Iowa game in control till they didn't and Iowa came back and beat them at home. Penn State also lost their QB during the game.

Notre Dame's dramatic finish at Lane Stadium when it all seemed lost. Starter who had been benched came back and lead 2 drives to the winning kick in a short period of time.

How about those Vols? Have they found something at QB and with new coach Josh Heupel times looking up for them?

Who had Kentucky as undefeated and headed to a big match with Georgia? Is Georgia the best team in college football? Right now they sure look like it. They have the Kentucky game, which I sort of expect to be like the Arkansas game, but then there is the Gators.

Michigan is looking like the real deal, sure it was a close game and maybe they got an assist from Nebraska not knowing how to close out a game. But coiuld this be the year they get Ohio State off their back? Well a few games to go, at MSU and at Penn State (will Sean Clifford play?)

What do you do if you are OU coach Lincoln Riley, bench your Heisman candidate QB for the true freshman who beat Texas? I wonder what those NIL sponsors who gave Rattler mega deals including that Auto Dealer who gave him 2 vehicles, a high end Dodge Ram truck and a fully loaded Charger.

Has the Big 10 ever had 5 of the top 10 teams (Coaches Poll)? Iowa at #2 seems like you just have to put them there, but if they were playing Alabama they'd be underdogs. Cincinnati @ #4 is in a good spot now if they can continue to win. I don't think Iowa makes it through undefeated. What I wonder is even if they (Cincinnati) continue undefeated will teams like Alabama, Ohio State, etc jump them if they win out.

We'll see.

12. Terry O'Keefe

How many of you knew the horse collar tackle is legal inside the tackle box? It happened in the Va.Tech/ND game and I was ready for the call to go against ND. But that's not the rule.

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, the area, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box.

Read the NCAA’s updated horse-collar tackle rule

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Again....and I haven't looked it up Yet...ANYBODY know what a DISCONCERNING SIGNAL penalty is?

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Well...

What is disconcerting signals penalty in football?

Football disconcerting acts, or a signals penalty, is a very rare penalty which is almost never called during gameplay. This penalty is when the defensive team is trying to mimic the offense's cadence to trick them. ... This penalty is very rarely called because it's a move that players seldom attempt.

15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The called delay of game (disconcerting signals) in 2 separate games yesterday. That must have been the subject of ref meetings or featured on the Ref Channel this week.:)

17. Scott88

They called it on us twice at points when the crowd was deafening and the Tide was using hand signals anyway. Seemed bogus to me, but I am biased. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Scott how long did the party go on in Kyle after the field was rushed? It reminded me of the Clemson/ND game last season when there wasn't that many in the stands but they all rushed the field and it was still a mad house. Sadly some of those celebrations go bad, esp. if they go after the goal posts.

19. Scott88

I keep seeing a lot of "how could this happen?" statements about A&M beating Alabama, and in one sense, I get it.
    But... while this was a big upset, don't forget that this was forecasted at the beginning of the season to be a HUGE game.
    That was seemingly derailed by injuries to A&M's offensive line, and then loss of our starting QB.
    2 losses to teams that probably shouldn't have happened, and suddenly this game is a speed bump for Bama.
    However, when the Aggies got that OL figured out, suddenly the not so new QB has a little time to throw, and he's not such a hot mess. Still not a runner, and still makes bad reads as a new QB will, but he also makes plays. AND... we were able to run the ball some.
    Now it's a different team than everyone was expecting.
    I knew something was VERY different on the first play when I saw that Kenyon Green (our best OL) was at LT which he was expected to play all season, but had been moving all over the line to fill holes for injuries. We finally got our best 5 out there and on the same page.
    It wasn't perfect, but we put up 34 offensive points and that's pretty damned good against that defense.

I still expect the Tide to run the table, and be in the playoff. I just hope we can keep this going and maybe get to double digit wins and back to the NY6 to set us up for a run to the playoff next season.
    No idea if that will happen, but it's nice to have some sunshine blowing up my skirt again!

PS: note to future foes - don't kick to #6. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Scott88

Terry, I'm not sure. We stayed for about 10 minutes to sing the War Hymn, and then when we finally made our way out of the stadium we heard the PA announcer asking fans to clear the field.
    I'm sure Northgate was a madhouse for the rest of the night!