Week 5 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Auburn is laying the wood to Hail State...

• Like Like x 1
  2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

North Carolina certainly has some good athletes and they played well. Clemson was either sleep walking, or they aren't #1.

3. IrishCorey

I'm watching FSU and NC State. It's a close game, but man, is this really bad football.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama's running game better but not where it needs to be. Ole Miss freshman qb able to run on us. Our defensive front and linebackers couldn't contain him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scott88

UCLA vs Zona is on. Would watch WSU vs Utah, but Sling doesn't have FS1.
    I think I'll just go to bed.
    :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. IrishCorey

UCLA and Zona is 10-6 Bruins in a really terrible football game. Utah and Wazzu is a pretty good game. Utah's defense has been very impressive against the Wazzu air-raid offense so far.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Really pleased with our efforts at Nebraska last night. Fields accounted for 4 TDS and no interceptions, Dobbins rushed for 177 yds and our defense was superb again. Defense had three interceptions.

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Hate to argue Don, but you had 1 interception. The other 2 were intentional.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Even a 2 time National Champion can struggle against an unranked opponent sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Chris Ash of Rutgers is the first head coach to get fired this season. Rutgers is promoting an assistant as interim HC but supposedly have sent out interest inquiries to Leavitt, Butch Jones, and Schiano.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IrishCorey

Rutgers is going to have to come up with some money and facilities if they are going to be competitive in the B1G.

12. Bobdawolverweasel

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bobdawolverweasel

When thinking about Michigan, probably good to see things that make you think about the past. Maybe the glass is half full....

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I of course didn't get to watch any football on TV this past weekend. So my comments are just from looking at scores and reading.

1. I was really shocked at how fast the Neb/Ohio State game got out of hand. I thought the Huskers would hang in there with them awhile at least. Maybe this is the best Buckeye team in awhile.

2. Totally shocked at the Clemson/UNC game. I thought for sure Clemson would hang 50 on them. Trevor Lawrence is not exactly having a bad start to 2019, but he's not killing it like he did last year. And Clemson as a team right now isn't quite as good as 2018. But this was the weekend last year where they almost lost to Syracuse, and then just something flipped the switch and they just dominated everybody from there on out.

3. Tua is just a freak and so are his receivers. I guess I was a little surprised that Alabama gave up so much yardage to Ole Miss and 31 points. But Ole Miss has scholarship players as well.

4. Wisconsin with a bit of a come back to earth with Northwestern. Not surprising you can't keep up that pace they have been on forever. Had to be at least a little bit of an emotional let down.

5. That Oklahoma State RB, Chuba Hubbard, having an amazing year so far. Kid is for real. Texas held him to "only" 120 yards last week in Austin.

6. SMU in the top 25 for the 1st time since the death penalty. 5-0

7. Maryland started fast beating it's 1st 2 opponents like 150-20...crashing back to earth. 59-0 shutout by Penn State.

8. CAL was the last unbeaten Pac 12 team, lost to Arizona State. Washington seems to be their best hope for at least a 1 loss Conf Champion with a shot at the playoffs. I just have a feeling that the Pac 12 will not have a 1 loss team. A lot of parity in that conference.

9. Jalen Hurts train is rolling down the track to a possible Heisman. But he's got a key game Oct 12 in Dallas with Texas. A lot will be riding on that game.

10. Top 10 has 9 unbeaten teams. Oct will sort that out and I'll be surprised if there are 5 by Nov 1.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well Scott, we lucked out. We have a 2:30 kickoff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scott88

Dang it kp... do you have to drag us into your curse?!?!
    ;)
    There is a ray of hope.
    They think a front will break the upper 90's at the end of this week. Long range forecast for Oct 9 is 78 degrees! It will probably be middle to upper 80s for the game, but that beats the crap out of the upper 90's!

• Like Like x 1
  17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, the later in the year it gets the less it matters. Of course I guess that changes if we get night games in November when it's 40 degrees and raining!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

With the Irish fans worrying about QB Ian Book, and rightfully so, it's always interesting that sometimes stats just lie.

PLAYER A: 61.8% completion rate, 8.3 yards per attempt, 8 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, rating of 143.68

PLAYER B: 63% completion rate, 8.3 yards per attempt, 8 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, rating of 151.96

So Trevor Lawrence is Player A, and Ian Book is player B. I doubt if anybody on earth would say Trevor and Ian are about the same QB. But I doubt if Clemson fans are worried about Trevor like Irish fans are worried about Ian. FWIW 63% is not a great % in today's Spread'em out world. 70% or more would be what you'd like you're QB to be at.

Jalen Hurts is sitting at 77.6%, 15.2 yards per attempt, 12 touchdowns, one pick and a rating of 249.86

• Like Like x 1
  19. IrishCorey

I hear that later in this week, earlier next week, we're suppose to have a cooling front come through the South.

20. Terry O'Keefe

I don't remember asking you guys, but what do you think of Night games in general. When it comes up over on NDNation, they are mostly against them anytime of the season. They don't like the late start and how it impacts their day, and how if they are coming from home within driving distance they don't like getting back home after midnight or later.

At Texas when I was there, we liked home games at night in Sept...it was hot as hell and the walk back to the dorm was no big deal of course.

• Like Like x 1