Week 4 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 16, 2019.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you've read this a time, or two. It's no "Tider Insider" but it's very popular among SEC fans. What iffy crowd do I hang out with, aside from alumni of Alabama that is?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I love that site!

• Like Like x 1
  3. IrishCorey

I dunno, Terry, seems iffy. ;)

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, the Alabama fans you cite say things that the Alabama fans that I hang out with don't say. Are the Georgia fans really still whining about the Notre Dame players "injuries? I watched the game with my son-in-law, who is a lifelong Georgia fan. He complained about it during the game but when the game was over and they had won he never mentioned it again. And to be honest, at least in this part of Alabama, no one I've talked to has talked about it either. Most.are.glad Georgia beat Notre Dame, but they aren't complaining about much.

5. IrishCorey

They have an entire article dedicated to the subject. The 3 Georgia alumni that I know haven't stopped bitching about it, until I finally started to point out their ridiculous actions are.. As for the Bama fans, since I've been sick, I don't get to speak to coworkers anymore and that eliminates the 'subway alumni' for Alabama in my social circle. I've only dealt with real friends. My friends are KA-Alabama legacy for generations, born into it, alumni. These are my friends. The type who attend all home games. They're by and large good fans. But there were whining about ND 'faking hurt.' My LSU friends were bitching about it as well, which is a laugh-riot, as Terry mentioned earlier, because they were taking dives against Texas non-stop.

The two calls in question involved possibly our best defender who came up gimp and one of our senior captains told him to get his ass on the ground so he could get treatment rather than get exposed by being injured in man coverage. The second one, the guy was clearly poked in the eye and was suspected of concussion who went to the concussion protocol tent. He was one of the few veterans we have on the defense.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, well like I said, the "fake" injuries were talked about for about five minutes. I'm not sure I would call it whining and then the talk was about how the hell did those tight ends get so open, and bad linebacker play. There's a little gas station/restaurant (Kim's Korner) close by that stop sometimes and that's where I get my football conversation for the most part and those are the Alabama fans I talk to other than family.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"Well that's kind of a built in excuse. Injuries and officiating are things that all teams have.to overcome at times over the years."

Bad officiating can sometimes occur but when it's game changing critical it is always irritating no matter where it occurs and to what teams. But when UF plays Auburn at Auburn it's almost always a given.... and certainly makes me glad we don't have to do that much anymore.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

MCG, yeah I guess there is just a conspiracy against Florida by Auburn???? I wonder why Auburn doesn't use that power against Alabama?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't see the UM/Wisc game so I'm only now becoming aware that 2 Badger DB's were called for Targeting in the 3rd Qtr and ejected and Dylan McCaffrey suffered a concussion. I'm reading that one of them is being questioned as it happened when McCaffrey slid and lowered his head into the path of the Badger who was already in the process of making the tackle and he couldn't avoid hitting him, but that the 2nd one was egregious and no doubt.

Comment from a Badger..

10. Terry O'Keefe

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Why is it never called on a running back who lowers his helmet and initiates contact?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

This * 1,000

If removal of helmet to helmet contact, or forceful impact about the head and shoulders, is the intent of the rule, why is only the defender at fault? MANY times the collision is purely coincidence, where the intended point of contact changes due to gravitational pull on a falling object. MANY times the collision is initiated by the individual getting tackled due to the way they position their body in the process of beginning contact. Sometimes, the tackle is egregious and should be removed from the game. But only about 20% of the devastating, damaging impacts are covered by the rule as currently called. And more than 50% of those that are covered by the rule punish the wrong party.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

My thoughts. I applaud the attempt to decrease head to head and shoulder to head/neck contacts. I feel bad (especially when it's one of my guys penalized) when it appears to be inadvertent. Especially when the runner or quarterback ducks into the hit and causes it. No system is ever going to be perfect and the rule has nothing to say about intent (which is why I hate the term "targeting"). Perhaps they will be able to refine the rules and make them better. It is good that they must review them all on replay and attempt to get them right. Of course they don't always get them right (at least to everybody's eyes). Kes, I am skeptical about your 20%/50% figures...do you have a reference?

14. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Stu, just my a$$. :D

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Stu, we have no way of counting the number of no calls when the ball carrier lowers his helmet because it is never called. I'm not sure of Kesley's percentages but I know that I see a significant number of targeting penalties where the ball carrier's head is moving up or down and is in a different place than when the offender started in for the tackle.

16. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I think the rule puts the burden on the defender to avoid the carrier's head...regardless of what actions the carrier does. Unfair, perhaps, to the defender but (I think) that's the rule. So if I'm right...it's not really a no-call...it's just an interpretation of the rule (whether you agree with it or not). I completely agree with the fact that often the defender has done nothing wrong technique-wise or intent-wise, and it ends up being "unfair" to the defender (especially when it's one of my guys)...nonetheless I believe that as it now stands the burden is on the defender to avoid the contact. Perhaps that should be changed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Stu, I hear you. If the purpose of the rule is to protect the players then it's never going to work. Maybe we need to go to Flag football.