Week 3 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 11, 2023.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Don, couldn't be happier with how those kids played yesterday and I could tell Coach Day was pleased as well. WKY is a solid FBS team, won a bowl game last year on their way to 9 wins and, tho defensively challenged, has a very good offense, top 10 in the nation last year avg over 500 yds/game and 2nd only to our Buckeyes over the last 3 years. Our defense held them under 300 yds and outscored their offense who got zero points after the 1st possession of the 2nd qtr. 2 picks, 4 TO's tons of pressure 2 defensive TD's. Knowles year 2 is looking better each week.

Offense was very efficient. McCord 19-23 for 318 with 3 TDs and we ran for over 200 avg on 6 yd/carry. Offense looked like they were supposed to against a weak defense but the defense played lights out against a legit offense. We haven't seen that in a few years. Great tune up for a much bigger test on the road this week. I see early lines have us favored by a few....I think it's more a pick 'em, Irish D looking stingy and Hartman takes their offense to a new level. It's gonna be a real test for our young QB and OL in South Bend as they're gonna "shake down the thunder"

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Defense for the Bucks was very encouraging. McCord had a very good day and that was a positive. I was glad to see Day get some of the younger talent into the game as well. Our rushing game looks better too. All positives and a good week of practice hopefully is forthcoming. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Quite the dramatic comeback win for Colorado last night. I watched a lot of the 1at half before heading to bed, it sort of looked like an upset brewing. But they got the win in double OT.

Things were most dire when Colorado State, leading 28-20, punted and pinned the Buffs at their own 2-yard line with 2 minutes, 6 seconds to play. For a Colorado offense that had gone eight straight drives without a touchdown, the prospect of needing to go 98 yards and then convert a 2-point conversion might have seemed insurmountable. Some fans began trickling out of Folsom Field.

Those who left missed seeing quarterback Shedeur Sanders engineer a seven-play touchdown drive, capped by a 45-yard touchdown pass to Jimmy Horn Jr.

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I went to bed at halftime as I was becoming ill over Mark Jones worshipping Deon after any successful Colo play. Maybe ESPN’s attempts to hype Deon as a hall of fame coach will quiet down after Oregon boat races them at Autzen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Don Ballard

I am definitely soured on any 4:00 start time for college football after watching our game with Western Kentucky yesterday. Basically it ruined the entire day for me and my wife was unhappy about changing our dinner hour and that was even more disturbing.:(

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Tommy Rees and Tyler Buchner are catching hell from sportswriters, analysts and fans today.

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Buchner didn't have a good game, but then neither did Simpson. Rees needs to come up with some kind of scheme on offense that works. Offensive line play is just as.bad as quarterback play. The Alabama offense is a train wreck.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I watched a lot of football but some how I missed that BYU beat Arkansas behind Kedon Slovis the former USC QB, who played last year at Pittsburgh. Big win for the B12.

Big losses for the B12? Miami of Ohio beat Cincinnati, Ohio beat Iowa State, South Alabama beat Oklahoma State. Baylor beat Long Island U, how embarassing. That game prepared them for Texas no doubt.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Texas is back!!! Well that was good for a week. Quinn Ewers in the Heisman conversation, Ewers is the QB we hoped he would be, well he was for 1 week in Tuscaloosa. The old Ewers was back this week, 52% completions, missed open receivers, didn't complete a down field throw, QBR of 61, if it wasn't for Xavier Worthy's great run after the catch he wouldn't have 100 yds pasing.

If we get the Ewers that showed up at Alabama we can win a lot of games, maybe all of them in the regular season, if we get the Ewers who showed up in Austin then several losses are in the future.

Final score looked ok but it was 3 quarters of mediocrity before the running game took over and we pulled away. Did that hurt us in the polls, nope in fact the AP moved us up a slot mainly because FSU had to escape a huge upset with B.C. Stayed the same in the Coaches.

Pac12....still have 8 teams in the top 25. They could go out with a bang if this keeps up.

I watched a lot of the LSU game, they didn't look like the same team who bombed in the 2nd half vs FSU as they went on the road and beat Miss State handily. Malik Nabers had a career day in Starkvegas so did Jayden Daniels.

I didn't watch, but the Arizona Sun Devils are a team in trouble, 3 QB's all bac and turned the ball over like it was a hot potato. Fresno State looking like a really good team.

10. Terry O'Keefe

kp, an article online quotes Kiffin as saying that Saban has changed DCoordinators after the Texas game? Kevin Steele out?

Kiffin told Ben Garrett of On3 Sports that he and his staff believe secondary coach Travaris Robinson is now in charge of the Alabama defense.

“We’ve been against Kevin a number of times. Worked with him at Alabama and against him at Auburn and LSU. There seems like there’s been a change there," said Kiffin to Garrett. "I don’t know what happened after the Texas game, but our guys watching the TV copy and schematically in this last game, certainly seems like T-Rob’s now calling the defense. We played him before at South Carolina, so we’re preparing accordingly for him calling the defense. He’s done a good job, too, and they’ve got really good players.”

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

There's been no hint of it in the press here. In my opinion, our defense is not our biggest problem. Our offense does not seem to have any direction. If a change is going to be made, it should be on that side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Saban flat out refuted Kiffins statement about Steeles status.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It also looks like.Alabama is going with Milroe at quarterback.

14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Gotta love Kiffin... it's always good to get your former boss fired up when you are playing them that week.
    I hope Saban salts the earth under Ole Piss' feet!

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I wish Saban had played along and said there were some changes being made. Let Kiffin stew on that. Anyway, I don't think it will have any affect.

16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

We lost 2 RB's for the season in one game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Don Ballard

Sorry to hear tha Aj. Injuries can really cause a lot of headaches for any team, even worse when it's your team.:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

AJ....OUCH!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

We're down to a Soph, RSF, and a True Fr. (Sigh)...

20. Terry O'Keefe

As a former collegiate band member, Stu probably appreciates this more than the rest of us. Pretty darn cool.