Week 15 Championship Week

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Do you wish to direct my attention to a post of mine which claimed that Clemson’s schedule was comparable to LSU and OSU or are you inventing arguments on my behalf? Obviously, the ACC is not a strong conference given the implosion of VT, FSU, and Miami but Clemson is an elite team regardless of the conference’s weakness and I can’t blame Clemson for the floundering of those traditionally good programs. Also, A&M was ranked 12th when Clemson payed them and VA was ranked 23rd. Does a non conference that includes A&M and South Carolina seem like a weak cup of coffee compared to a non conference schedule that includes Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, The Citadel, and a Louisville team that went 2-10 in 2018 or Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina?

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bob, my point is we don't know how good Clemson is. I didn't claim that Clemson didn't belong in the CFP, I just said they hadn't played any teams in the top 25. They are the reigning National Champs. They haven't lost since then so they get to defend. I'm done, I get it, you think Clemson is great. You think their schedule strength doesn't matter, but apparently Alabama's does. The good news is we will find out in a month. I'm out.

3. Bobdawolverweasel

No...actually this discussion started when you jumped on me after I briefly joked with Corey to label me a whiner. My response was that given the flurry of recent posts of yours complaining about Dabo, perhaps a little introspection might be therapeutic especially considering similar criticisms had been directed against Alabama in past years and that you, at that time, defended Alabama’s right to be in the playoffs. Your rejoinder was Clemson did not play a top 25 team and my reply was that they played 2 teams that were ranked in the top 25 at the time they played and that Clemson’s non conference schedule this year seemed a little more formidable than the two previous seasons of Alabama’s non conference schedules.

You now conclude from this chronology that I think strength of schedule matters only when the spotlight is on Alabama. Another BS invented argument. If you actually go through my past posts about Alabama’s program they are mostly highly complimentary with a few snarky ones and, if you dig way deep, you might find one where I told a lukewarm you that Alabama made a very choice in hiring that coach from the Dolphins. If I am going to be attacked, it is always my hope that the writer does so with facts rather than engaging in fictitious creations but perhaps that might impose an unreasonable burden on some.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well I hope we can move past this, the old shake (virtual) hands and move on.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

If we are always getting along, then what are we going to do until the Birmingham Bowl? :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bobdawolverweasel

Well...with the issue of impeachment heating up, it’s possible some of the regulars here might have a modest and discrete opinion on the subject that could generate polite disagreement in a thread that will go on for a least 10 pages.o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Or Alabama could play Michigan in the Citrus Bowl!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Gators in the Orange Bowl where we were expected to be and against Virginia.

Clemson does have the easiest road as long as they don't lose a game. I don't know when the ACC will be stronger.

Meanwhile I will enjoy the Gators return to relevance.

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Alabama-Michigan is an attractive match up given the history of both programs, Saban v Harbaugh, and Alabama being the gold standard for SEC football for so many eras. Alabama clearly is the better team even with Tua out but as a long-time M fan, games against Alabama are pretty rare so I am excited.

I may not be seeing things this way after the game and the Michigan boards are mostly filled with doom-and-predictions
    but, for me, as a long-time fan, playing Bama is a big deal even though the game is a lower tier bowl game.

For Crimson Tide fans, there probably is more of a ‘meh’ reaction since their bowl games usually involve competing for a National Championship but my guess is that there are a few Bama fans out there who look forward to the opportunity to kick in the nuts of a Harbaugh coached team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Once again this Alabama team does not.have a very good defense but we are.able to score points. I think there is a danger for Alabama that there will be a letdown but that would really piss Saban off. We may have 5 or more potential first round draft picks. I'm hoping they will be playing and fully expect them to. I see Michigan as a solid football team that we will have to play well to beat.

11. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"even though the game is a lower tier bowl game."

If there was a New Year's 7th the Citrus would be it.

12. IrishCorey

UF should really hire you for their marketing department.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Motorcity Gator

Not sure I get that Corey.... UF is in the New Year's Six.... not the Citrus.
    But generally the Citrus is a pretty well respected bowl even if it's not for teams that currently rank in top ten.
    Winning the Citrus though is an almost guaranteed way to wind up in the Top 10.

14. IrishCorey

Your ability to spin things Florida and SEC related is relentless and borderline cultish. I admire that commitment though. Seriously, they'd do well to hire a true believer such as yourself.

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Citrus IS the largest paying bowl outside of the CFP bowls, I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

As a Citrus grower I’m just excited to hear it mentioned outside of those who grow it, carry on...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Motorcity Gator

Corey the Citrus Bowl is a step ahead of every other Camping in the Weeds with Doan's Back Pills eatin Orville Redenbacher Popcorn Bowl out there.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. IrishCorey

perhaps. It's a great game this year. I just remember when Gator fans found it fashionable to make fun of the game. Now, it's on the cusp of the Granddaddy of them all according to you..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Spurrier always thought highly of the Citrus Bowl!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Motorcity Gator

Don't get me wrong... I''m happy with the Orange over the Citrus but amongst lower tier bowls the Citrus has maintained it's integrity and historical match making.
    The Granddaddy of them all in Pasadena has now become the Step=Granddaddy of them all with the Big Ten Champ never participating in the game.