Week 12 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

This is a couple of weeks old but apparently just now making the rounds. Somebody recorded Kirby Smart at the half of the the Georgia/Florida game. I guess these coaches are going to have to confiscate all the smart phones of anybody entering the locker room.

Audio of Kirby Smart’s Florida halftime speech goes viral

Language is salty so don't listen with your kids!

2. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt you are right, and I guess they have some pretty rich alumni that are going to help fund this contract. His name certainly is being attached to a number of high profile job searches, including LSU where that other successful MSU coach went and won a Nat'l Championship. It's risky though.

The ND AD at the time that Charlie Weis was looking like a great hire, and the Cowboys were reported to be ready to make him a deal to return to the NFL, bit on that piece of information probably put out there by his agent and gave him a big extension after less than a year as the ND coach. We ended up eating that contract big time.

3. Terry O'Keefe

ESPN has an article on the 2001 Miami Hurricanes being maybe the best college football team ever.

Should I send a link to AJ just in case he's not reading ESPN right now? :cool:

4. Terry O'Keefe

OK this explains a lot about Tuckers big contract...

The Detroit Free Press reported...

The Free Press reported that Michigan State alumni Mat Ishbia and Steve St. Andre are funding the new contract, which would make Tucker one of the nation's highest-paid coaches.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

So, Tucker is a state employee but the contract is funded by private individuals?

6. Terry O'Keefe

I guess that's right. I don't know how these things work though. I do know at Texas the Longhorn Foundation runs the Football program. It doesn't get a dime of my tax money. I'm not sure though who actually pays Sark, is he paid by the Longhorn Foundation or is paid by the University just like a Professor of Accounting?

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I know that the state of Alabama had a law that all state employees had to retire by age 70 and it would have required Coach Bryant to retire in the next year so the law was changed back in the 80s. So Saban is a state employee but I don't if his salary is paid by the state.or not.

8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry, in Texas no state money can be used to fund athletics, including coaches salaries. So he's paid by whatever foundation funds the AD. It will not come from the school.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

When Tucker was the defensive coordinator of the Bears, he was continually in the media and talk radio roasted for his coaching. After last year, the State fans I knew were pretty ambivalent about him. Obviously he is having a great year this year and State clearly does not want a repeat of what happened with Saban, but man, kudos to his agent for leveraging all of the coaching vacancies to get his client a huge payday even though his client does not have a long record of success.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  10. Scott88

Yeah... that is a LOT of cabbage to bet on one good year. I know they probably feel they missed out on the GOAT once before in the same situation, but that guy had already proven he could win a MNC.
    Time will tell.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Maybe the end is near for the creative poster means of communication in college football!

12. Terry O'Keefe

Another reason Jimbo is staying at A&M, they just announced a huge upgrade to the A&M football complex, new indoor practice, and upgrades to nutrition and academic area's. Oh yeah also a big upgrade to their Track and Field Complex already one of the top in the nation.

A&M’s regents on Thursday approved a $205 million plan toward upgrades to A&M football and track structures. A new indoor football practice field and a heavy Bright Football Complex makeover account for more than half of the planned costs ($125 million).

A&M also intends to add 31 suites to Kyle Field’s south side for $25 million. A new indoor track building next to the sterling E.B. Cushing Stadium, which opened in 2019, on the far west side of campus is planned for $55 million.

Texas A&M’s $205 million plan includes new indoor complexes for football, track

13. Scott88

Well I guess we're making sure no one can say A&M is falling behind. They JUST completed a rework of the Bright complex around the time Jimbo arrived. The current indoor facility is a little older, but damn.

Nice to see they moved from "considering" construction in my seating area (South end) to "FULL SPEED AHEAD!".
    Guess my time in Kyle Field is limited. Based on the preview options I was given to move, I doubt I'll keep my seats when that starts. 22 straight seasons might come to end pretty soon...
    :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I finally got to watch our game from last weekend with Samford. We won 70-52, never led until midway through through the 3rd quarter.

Giving up 52 points to Stamford still blows my mind.

So we are at Missouri tomorrow and are a 8,5 favorite. One writer said that was 14 points to much.

15. Gator Bill

Well he went to the Dolphins, anyone know what happened after that? :)

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I do! I do!:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Gator Bill

Figured you might. :)

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Bill I'm not sure this article was posted but it explains why Samford ripped the Gator D.
    SEC coaches criticize Florida defense: 'They just don't play hard'
    I can't think of many criticisms worse than not giving the best effort.

19. Gator Bill

I had not read that article gipper, but think it is pretty on target. Thanks.

If Mullen does not win these last two games I think he is history. Recruiting seems to be his biggest problem and I am not sure if he can turn that around.

Very disturbing season for us Gators.

20. Gator Bill

So if Bama wins out they will be in the playoff, same for Ohio State. Georgia pretty much seems a lock. Michigan, Oregon and Cincinnati are in the mix and Notre Dame is still a possibility.

Going to watch Ohio State and Michigan State at noon then my Gators at four.