Week 11 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well I have no doubt that if Ga beats LSU that the SEC Champion will be in the CFP. I won't be surprised if either Utah or Oregon ends up with 1 loss and Clemson and Ohio State remain undefeated that the Pac 12 Champion gets the 4th CFP slot over a 2nd SEC 1 loss team.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So LSU beats 4 top ten opponents loses only to GA and they're gone? I don't know....

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, a whole lot will depend on conference championship games. Oklahoma, Minnesota, Baylor, LSU if they lose to Georgia, Georgia, if they beat LSU??? Who am I missing?

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Georgia winning at Auburn is not a foregone conclusion. LSU barely squeezed by Auburn in Baton Rouge 23-20.
    If they do it will be because of their defense. If their defense is good enough to will out a 17-13 type W on the plains then it is very possible that with a great effort they could upend LSU in Atlanta. Right now my money is on Georgia finishing with three losses..... SC, Auburn and LSU.

5. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt a 1 loss LSU team will be deserving. I just wonder if they will not decide a 1 loss conference champion is equally deserving

6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Well...Morris just joined Willie Taggert on the streets of gold unemployment line. His buyout is 10M and Ark is still on the hook for Bielema’s 11M 2017 buyout. Deep pocket boosters in Arkansas are burning some serious money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

What genius thought these guys were good enough to put that much up to keep away future suiters?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Actually I read that Arkie isn't paying Bielema due to him getting a new job a while back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

These schools really want these hohum coaches to offer that much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

I know the supposed mandate is to get the 4 best teams, which I support. But reality is there is definitely some Alabama/SEC fatigue out there among fans. The committee also is supposed to give weight to being a conference champion. But it didn't help Penn State a couple of years ago. I don't know how the Pac 12 can put pressure on the committee, but if either Oregon or Utah finishes very strong you know there will be pressure to give them that 1 loss slot.

When Auburn beat Alabama a couple of years ago and Alabama still got into the CFP the explanation was that they were still one of the 4 best teams, they validated by winning the national title.

It will definitely put the committee in a tough spot if Georgia and LSU face off with UGA winning and in another close game. Of course if LSU is beaten handily then it won't be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, you are correct. Oregon and/or Utah should be given strong consideration, however if Minnesota, Penn State, or Ohio State were to finish with only one loss, I think they should have an edge over a one loss Georgia. Georgia lost to a pretty bad to South Carolina. One loss LSU would have a good argument to be included although if LSU lost to Georgia in the SECCG, then it would be difficult to take them and not UGA.
    What happens if Minnesota, Penn St., Ohio St. And LSU and UGA all have one loss. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Solution: Declare a waiver for this season only and allow an 8-team playoff with the "firm" understanding that it's for this season only. This eliminates the stress and possible blowback on the committee. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1