Viva Puig!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JO'Co, Jun 7, 2013.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

In the bottom of the 8th inning against the Atlanta Braves, Dodger rookie Yasiel Puig... aka Roy Hobbs... has just hit a grand slam HR. In his four MLB games he has three HRs and a B.A. of .437...

After the grand slam, Vin Scully sat there speechless. I haven't heard that silence since Koufax was here. This whole thing has gone from history, to Hollywood, to who knows where...

:D :D :D :D :D :shock:

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Sounds a lot like this guy....
    [/quote]

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I remember well McCovey's ML debut. My man Puig has given my fantasy team a much needed shot in the arm.

4. Terry O'Keefe

I think Jim Ray Hart had a similar spectacular debut didn't he?

5. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

TOK, LOL!

You just could not supress the urge to throw a little cold water onto Jo' Co's week long jubilee.

I guess being an Astros fan would propel one into a cynical mindset.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Astro's fan? I'm a brand new Cardinals fan! :) Best team in the NL!

7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)

Sixth inning...Atlanta 1 Dodgers 0... Yasiel Puig hit ANOTHER HR tonight to tie the game and Dodger Stadium was rockin' and rollin' again! But WAIT! The kid comes up in the 8th inning with the winning run on 3rd and the Braves INTENTIONALLY walked him! Can anyone say "Barry Bonds" out there? The Dodgers finally won in the bottom of the 10th with Puig on deck and no place to put him. The Braves pitcher pooped his pants just thinking about it and tossed a wild pitch allowing the runner on 3rd to score...

How silly is this whole thing getting? Puig now has 4 HRs in five games. Braves pitchers are rattled and so is their manager. It's all lollypops and roses in Los Angeles, while dark, storm clouds have descended over the entire National League. The Yasiel Puig era has begun...
    [​IMG]

8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Maybe a tad early to start crafting hisd bust for Cooperstown but he sure is off to fast start.

Sure, McCovey was the goods. But only one man has done what this kid has done in five games. And dare we compare the young Mr. Puig to that man?

Mike Jacobs.

9. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

intentionally walking a rookie right out of the bushes. Jesus, get better or go back to the farm. That's terrible

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D
    Andrelton Simmons is the lead-off hitter for the Atlanta Braves and he's the fastest player they have. If I told you that he tried to go from 1st to 3rd on a base hit to RF......and Puig gunned him down by firing a knee-high strike to the 3rd baseman that never bounced......from 300 feet away......and got the runner by 10 feet......would you believe me? I mean...only Clemente, Colavito, and Ruth could do that and they all started as pitchers...right?

Seeing is believing...
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fY0k01HwY0I?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Wow! That is one of my two favorite fielding plays in baseball.....gunning down the runner at 3b on a throw from right field. My other favorite is gunning down the runner at the plate. That was an amazing throw, especially considering the speed of the base runner.

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Puig just got his third hit of today's game to finish 3 for 5. He had two hits yesterday and he should be the National League Player of the Week in his first week. When he hit .512 in Spring Training the "experts" said that his batting average would fall once he faced "real major league pitching." I guess they were right. After his first week in MLB he's batting only .464...

13. Terry O'Keefe

Next thing they will say is wait till he's made his first turn around the league and they have a book on him! :)

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

He's not going to get smaller...
    He's not going to get slower...
    He's not going to get weaker...
    He's signed for seven years...
    He hits to all fields...
    He has already hit 98 mph fastballs, slow curves, lefties, righties, pitches out of the strike zone etc.
    I personally have never seen anything like this...

15. Terry O'Keefe

About that 7 yr 42/M contract. It was big money when he signed, no not big but huge money. If he has a Willie McCovey kind of rookie year and then turns into Big Al Pujhols...you'd better hope Scott Boras isn't his agent.

16. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

The Dodgers have seven years to pay him peanuts until then. BTW- I saw both McCovey and Pujols and he's better than either of them. He's a legit five-tool player like Mays, Aaron or Ruth. If he doesn't get hurt, the sky is the limit...

17. George Krebs

Didn't the Dodgers have a big, burly closer about 10-12 years ago that was unhitable and would re-write the record book? You know.... what's his name?

8)

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Gagne?

19. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

re: Gagne
    He DID rewrite the record books! The same way Barry Bonds did: with steroids. Like Manny Ramirez, he always wore baggy uniforms so that the fans (like me) couldn't see that his entire body had been altered.

re: Puig

Laugh it up sports fans. This kid isn't just another poor boy from the Caribbean. In fact, he's a high I.Q. type who learns and adjusts as he goes. Both of his parents are engineers who didn't want him to play baseball at all. While you're whistling past the graveyard and hoping this whole thing is just another phenom fairy tale, the legend continues to grow.

Tonight he had three more hits to raise his batting average to an even .500, with a slugging percentage of .938! On every at-bat, the D-Back pitchers and coaches were hanging on the dugout railing like birds on a telephone wire. They were charting, filming and discussing everything the kid did, trying to figure out some way to stop him. In the end, nothing worked. Yasiel Puig really is the Baby Effing Ruth, and he's also the National League Player of the Week........in his first week.

They moved him to the #4 spot in the batting order, because the only way he was scoring was when he hit the ball in the seats. That was dumb. Anybody who ever made out a lineup card knows that you always put your best player 3rd, not 4th. The three-hole hitter will get more at-bats per game, and sure enough, tonight's Dodger loss ended with Puig on deck and the tying run at third base. Oh well. Given enough time and enough crayons, even Mattingly should be able to figure this one out...

20. George Krebs

Well, we can all agree that in a career that spans one week this kid looks impressive.