US Open 2018

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jun 11, 2018.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, these guys are playing for millions. Mickelson wasn't going to lose his ball (that he doesn't even pay for anyway). He was going to be embarrassed and he was pissed because he didn't like the way the course was set up. He probably saved himself money and cost his competitors money and he was proud of it. :?

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well I get it that it's controversial, and according to what I heard from a former Exec Dir of the USGA they had the discretion to dq him or not dq him, but it wasn't an automatic dq like signing for the wrong score or using nonconforming equipment.

The penalty strokes were of course assessed as proscribed by the rules of golf.

As I said I don't buy that Phil was making some statement, he just acted in the moment and then came up with why he did it afterwards.

Decisions that upset me are ones like the one that cost Lexi Thompson a major title 2 years ago. Not this one.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Like I said earlier, if a less famous golfer has done what Mickelson did they would discretioned him right off of the course. Michelson should have DQ'd himself but he didn't have the guts.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

You might be right that if Scott Gregory (highest 2 day score and cut) had done it could have been different. Reportedly Phil called the USGA people and offered to withdraw after the media got all over him, but they declined to take his offer. Now that could be solely a money play with them figuring having Phil in the field that people might watch him in the morning just to boo him from their couch! :)