Tommy Lasordas favorite restaurants!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

He has a blog, what is this world comming to when Lasorda knows how to use a computer!! :D :D :D :D

He's currently got a list of his favorite restaurants. I'm posting the L.A. stuff just to see what Rick and JO'Co have to say. He only had one restaurant in Houston on his list, I guess he didn't eat when he was here!! :) None in Grand Rapids!
    For more on Tommy here's his blog.

Lasordas Blog

2. DodgerDog

DodgerDog New Member

:shock:
    Wow! What a great website! I've bookmarked it and I'll visit there often. Unfortunately, I hate Italian food, which makes the odds of me agreeing with Tommy's choice of restaurants pretty slim, although the ESPN Zone at Disneyland is an instant legend for sports bars...

...........DD

3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I've done Tony Roma's, ESPN Zone and Napa Rose. Speaking of Disneyland, has anyone done the "Soaring over California" ride? Pretty cool.....

4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed Tony Roma's and Buca di Beppo but they are chains. Are the others independent restaurants?

We even had a wedding rehersal dinner at Buca di Beppo.

stu

5. Terry O'Keefe

hmmm you don't think that a position on that list cost something do you? :twisted: :twisted:

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I guess Tommy doesn't mention Slim Fast in there....

7. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

Mimi's is a chain that started in Anaheim. I've never eaten there, but Kim has and she likes it.

Burger Continental is in Pasadena. I can see why it made Tommy's list. They give you a ton of food for not much money, and there's even a buffet option. It's a pretty fun place to hang with a group, sitting outside while listening to the music and being entertained by the belly dancers. A big reason why I like the place is they keep their tap lines clean and usually have fresh-as-bejeezus Anchor Steam on tap.

[​IMG]

8. Terry O'Keefe

How can one tell if the establishment doesn't keep it's tap lines clean, stuff floating in your beer? :)

9. George Krebs

Rao's in upper Manhattan. Interesting place. Only has about ten tables and most of them are "owned". So getting in you have to know someone.

Who do I know? My part time delivery guy is a retired "fringe" player in the mob. Great guy, Vinnie. One time he and I go to a minor league baseball game. I'm ready to park in the hinterlands but he says to go to the front row. The attendant stops us. He looks in the car at Vinnie, who does not return the stare, and next thing you know, I'm parking in the front row next to the emergency vehicles. I don't ask how or why and Vinnie doesn't explain.

Back to Rao's. I finally talk Vinnie into taking me by promising to pick up the tab. The place is owned by the guy who plays the FBI officer in charge in The Sopranos. He sings there also. The food is outstanding and you don't even order ... they just start bringing it out. The night I was there Michael Chiklis and Chaz Palmimtieri were also there. Pretty cool.

Its right on the border of Harlem but you couldn't be safer in your mother's arms. Nobody messes with this place. They claim that Rudy Giuliani and John Gotti were there at the same time once. Celebrities, city officials, mob guys and shlubs like me, all mixed together in this small place.

A couple of years ago a guy was heckling a lady who was singing that night. Another fellow stabbed him in the throat with a steak knife, killing him. Turned out they were both mob guys but from different families. No problem, just don't order the marinara sauce for few days after.

Now you know..... the REST of the story. :D

10. Terry O'Keefe

So if we don't hear from you for awhile should we assume that you and Vinnie got into a tiff and you are wearing new cement boots? :)

11. George Krebs

Nah... I'm aces with Vinnie. He has a rich history... his uncle used to drive for Vito Genovese.