Tim Tebow Just Announced

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jan 11, 2009.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I would think MCG would want the Lions to Draft Tebow.

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

MCG, it seems you have stirred up the masses again.

8) 8) 8)

3. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Well ... seems to me the reason Teaxas won is they had the benefit of having won the "playoff-like" Big-12 championship game!!

:wink: 8)

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

The previous year I believe USC beat OU and OU had played in the B12 Championship game...I think they lost though...another BCS slip up...lose your conference championship game but still the math lets you in the BCS championship game.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

The year USC played OU, both teams entered the game undefeated. They used their experience in the 'playoff-like' big12 title game to roll up a 42-3 win over Colorado... and then was trounced by USC 55-19.

The year prior to that, OU lost the 'not-so-playoff-like' Big12 title game (losing 35-7 to Kansas State), yet went onto play for 'the title' against LSU. LSU/USC split the title that year.

6. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Well....here is how the list of past BCS games reads "officially" and I don't see USC in the mix as much as you have them made out to be....

http://www.new-orleans-resort.com/bcs_national_champions.shtml

Now I know USC was close....maybe should have been etc. but officially they played for it twice and won one....

7. IrishCorey

You're either obtuse or disingenuous....

USC won the 2003 title with LSU.. This was the year that caused the AP to split away.. USC finished #1 in each poll but 'out' of the BCS title game. USC beat Michigan (in a game I believe Bobda stated that USC was gracious in letting off the gas), while LSU beat an Oklahoma team that was just blown out in their conference title game.

You like sportsline, right?

USC won it in 03, 04 and lost it in 05

8. Terry O'Keefe

Back to Tim Tebow staying for another year. Not a lot of guys who have stayed for that extra year got what they stayed for...Rick Mirer of ND stayed an extra year, it didn't hurt him but he didn't get what he stayed for, neither did Peyton Manning or Brady Quinn. Matt Leinart lost some spots in the draft didn't get a 2nd Heisman or a NC.

But for Tebow it's a little different. Nobody is telling him he'll be a top 5 NFL draft prospect, in fact many are saying he's not a 1st day draft prospect so he's not giving up a ton of potential money.

For Tebow though it's another year to work on his passing game/technique and show the scouts he can be a pro QB prospect. Along with of course possible personal awards and team goals. What I wonder though is if Meyer will tweak the offense to let him work on his dropback game and run more pro-style plays to showcase Tims potential?

9. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Thinking in Gainesville is the new QB coach (Scot Loeffler) will help TT with his passing game. The questions is ...... can he become the type of QB the NFL wants?

And FWIW ... Tebow's QB eff rating against OU was 133. Bradford's rating against UF was 122.

10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

What Terry said.

TT's game does not translate to the NFL as it is. Now he is a good football player who may be able to adapt to a new position or special teams in the pros.

11. Motorcity Gator

I thought my reference on Fla was to BCS championships....

USC was AP champion in 2003 but not Coaches or BCS.

Florida has been BCS, Coaches and AP Champions in 2 of the last 3 years and now stands a good chance at being all those things in 3 out of 4 years.

Nebraska split it's title in 1997 with Michigan....although that was the catalyst for the BCS because the two should have played in a BCS title game.

My comment stands in that what Florida has the chance to accomplish has not been done before in the BCS era.....as painful as that may be to you.

12. Terry O'Keefe

It will certainly be interesting when Tim goes to the NFL. His leadership and toughness seemingly are made for the NFL, as well as the fact that he takes personal responsibility for his own life and won't be a problem for the team. Matt Leinart has run a foul of that with his well publicized party lifestyle seeming to get in the way of making that total commitment to getting better as a player. Tim wouldn't have that problem.

I've said this before, I would like to have Tim Tebow on my team esp if I can get him in the 3rd or 4th round. That way there isn't some insane amount of money invested and it's prudent to allow him to be the backup or the 3rd QB and develope for a couple of years and see what happens when an opportunity presents itself. Look at Matt Cassell at NE, he was never even a starter at USC, but he's been patient and worked and when his time came he was ready. I could see Tim doing that.

13. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Tebow

<r>Honestly, since the kid has no future in the NFL, it makes a lot of sense for him to stay at Fl this coming season. He'll win the Heisman again based on the media love he gets, another NC based on the schedule I saw and then ride off into the sunset never to be heard from again ala Troy Smith. <br/>
    <br/>
    You gotta get your moments of fame while you can.<br/>
    <br/>
    <E>:D</E></r>

14. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Well-Known Member

First:
    Then:
    So apparently not.

As far as the gasping/genuflecting "unthinkable" hyperbole, Goebbels himself would be proud. :)

15. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Re: Tebow

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

OMG ... don't say it!! TT's suffering from Ron Powlus Syndrome!!! Oh wait, Powlus never did get any of the 4 Heismans he was supposed to win.<br/>
    <br/>
    <E>:wink:</E></r>

16. IrishCorey

As Rick pointed out... No... you did not make that separation...

Second:
    Is that like having the 'coolest' t-shirt from Hot Topic in the mall?

The BCS is what 10, 11 years old and you are speaking as if this is some all-time achievement that has never been done since 1869...

17. Motorcity Gator

An AP ring only these days....rings hollow in most fan's opinions.

18. IrishCorey

LOL like the fan poll that Bill dismissed the other day that had Utah #?

I would bet most fans find the BCS to be the joke that it is.

Nothing against you guys. You did what you could within the system and earned your BCS championship.

19. Motorcity Gator

....so right you are.... :D

20. Motorcity Gator

Think about this for a minute.....

A playoff is still a beauty contest and luck of the draw.

The contest part comes in with who plays who and which bracket you fall into and what seed etc.

You would wind up using the same type data currently used to do all this and then the champ only plays 4 of 16 teams and it's all due to voters, computers and style points with regard to who they play.

If a great team catches the "hot" team along the way...they lose. Then what happens if the hot team has a key injury next game in a loss to a team really not as good as the team they knocked off the previous week...that's luck of the draw to be sure.

At least this BCS way there is a consensus drawn by a set of rules and votes and data and each team has 5-6 weeks to heal up and prepare for the big battle.

I'm not sure at all the best team in the land will be left standing at the end of a playoff and probably less so than the way it is done now.