Things I find on the internet

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by IrishCorey, May 6, 2019.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

and I find them interesting.. Since I am almost totally immobile these days, I've spent a lot of time trying my best to care for my daughter while also consuming a lot of weird **** on the internet. I went down a wormhole on Youtube earlier today that started with searching for a video to send to my son. I was looking for Sonic Youth's remake of the Carpenter's classic "Superstar" and led me to finding this step by step breakdown of the Battle of Midway that was somehow listed in the 'also recommended' section. Give it a watch if you're a military history buff. I really enjoyed the presentation that this guy gives because he doesn't put the aircraft or ships on the map until the Japanese were aware of their position. Give it a watch if you want, the guy has more videos as well. I liked it.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that video Corey. Didn't realize the part that the aircraft from Midway played in the battle. I didn't realize that the Thatch weave was first used at Midway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IrishCorey

Thanks Mike! I really enjoyed the style of presentation in the video. I didn't know about the 'Thatch Weave" first being used there either.

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

That was a great video. I knew about the Thach Weave, but like Mike, I was not aware of the extent of the land based bombers from Wake Island.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Timing is everything...sometimes it's in the planning and sometimes it's luck. I think the timing was luck in that it wasn't necessarily planned that way...but clearly the heroism of the aviators in those first failed raids is what kept the Japanese off balance and unable to launch until their planes and bombs were in such a vulnerable position.

I couldn't find Video part 2...did anybody else? I know that the Hiryu got two strikes off and sank the Yorktown. They thought they had hit two carriers but both strikes hit the same one. Then Enterprise and Yorktown aircraft (now without their home base carrier) sank the Hiryu. I also read that three American pilots were captured. They were interrogated and then tied to weights and thrown into the sea to drown.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Stu I didn't see part 2 either. I believe you're correct about the demise of the Hiryu. MIDWAY is one of my favorite movies. I'm pretty sure one of the dive bombers that hit the Hiryu was flown by Charlton Heston.

• Like Like x 1
  7. IrishCorey

Hey guys, I checked out the poster of those videos and he appears to be working on the 2nd part right now. If you checked out his other videos, he's done this for some interesting battles. Since this is something the guy does in his spare time, I'm not sure how soon part 2 will be out, but when it is, I will post it. :)

8. IrishCorey

This guy breaks down the great battles that led to Game of Thrones. It's pretty fun and very well done. You can check out his other work as well.