The People's Republic of California

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by JO'Co, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, over in Santa Monica...

Leftist Resurrects Campaign To Stop Kids From Playing With Toy Guns In Wake Of Newtown Tragedy…
    [​IMG]
    So dumb, so, so, so dumb.

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) – A crusade against toy guns that began in 1987 is being re-launched following the elementary school shooting in Connecticut that left dozens dead.

Santa Monica activist Jerry Rubin says a personalized merit award will be sent to children who write to him about why they don’t like playing with toy guns.

Rubin says his anti-toy gun project used to reward children who sent in their toy guns with teddy bears in exchange, but stopped after he ran out of the 5,000 donated stuffed animals.

Less than two weeks ago, 20 children and six adults were gunned down at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.

Over the years, Rubin’s grassroots campaigns against violence and in favor of environmental causes have made him a familiar figure in Southern California news.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Jerry Rubin......why is that name familiar?

3. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D
    Aaahhhh yes......the 60's...I've heard of them...

This was NOT the infamous Jerry Rubin who was a founder, along with Abbie Hoffman, of the Youth International Party, known as Yippies. He was also a member of the "Chicago 8" after the riots following the Democratic National Convention in 1968. That Jerry Rubin got killed crossing the street in Hollywood about 20 years ago. I don't know if the Jerry Rubin in the Santa Monica protests is a son or relative, but I wouldn't be surprised...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Rubin

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19941129&slug=1944473

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim. I knew the name rang a bell. He certainly led an interesting life, from radical to entrepreneur. The original Chicago 8 , with the exception of Dellinger, ended up pretty much in the mainstream.

I was never inclined toward activism in the 60s, but I had a sense in '68 that the Chicago police were more at fault than the protesters. That was a difficult era for my generation....seeing the downright hatred of our returning soldiers, some of whom were my friends, rampant drug use, rampant police brutality, the last vestiges of culturally accepted racism. Somehow we got through it, but not without tragedies, e.g., Kent State.

5. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:idea:
    Mayor Daley and the Chicago PD took the blame for the riots, but let's be honest: we kids knew there was going to be a riot before it happened. Every day in August of 1968, my teammate Rod Bublitz and I would be driving to football practice at Chaffey College, and every day we would pass hordes of young hitchikers our age holding up signs that said simply, "Chicago." We must have passed hundreds of them in the first three weeks of August along the on-ramps of the 10 freeway and on Foothill Blvd which was the old Route 66. We were 2,500 miles from Chicago, but everyone my age knew what was going to happen. It wasn't a secret. I even witnessed long lines of army trucks, carrying troops, giving the peace sign and cheering them on.

Many modern historians believe that our country came closer to civil war in 1968, than at any other time since Lincoln was shot. Based on the many things that I saw that year, I'm not going to disagree with them.
    [​IMG]

6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

47 million a year not enough to support CA native Phil Mickelson from moving to a lower tax state....announcement Tuesday at Torrey Pines...

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Guess that the 25 mil. he was paying the feds. and state wasn't good enough for them. Now they want to take 30.5 mil. I don't blame him.

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

And what happens when the tax rate gets to 75% like it is in France. Check this out.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266331/Nicolas-Sarkozy-Carla-Bruni-dodge-new-French-tax-hike-moving-London-setting-1billion-fund.html

Apparently the wealthy aren't as stupid as liberals think.

9. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

If They Don’t Get You One Way, They Try Another- CA Politicians Propose Forcing Gun Owners To Buy Liability Insurance
    [​IMG]
    Via Hot Air:

What to do if the nation fails to fall in line behind new gun grabbing legislation and doesn’t want to put limits on ammo capacity? How about if they rebel against the idea of taxing the heck out of ammo? What if it just seems like there simply isn’t a majority on board with new gun control legislation? Well, if you follow the Obamacare model, you could always consider making extra insurance on weapons technology mandatory.

If you can’t force people to do what you want, force them to buy insurance: That seems to be the strategy of the liberal left in the Obama era. We refer not only to the ObamaCare health-insurance mandate but to the latest bright idea under consideration in mostly Democrat-dominated state capitals.

“Democratic lawmakers proposed legislation Tuesday that would require California gun owners to buy liability insurance to cover damages or injuries caused by their weapons,” FoxNews.com reports. The idea isn’t brand new: “Bills have been offered unsuccessfully in Massachusetts and New York since at least 2003,” according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

But the idea has drawn added attention amid the inevitable delirium following a horrific crime involving firearms: “Similar bills have been introduced in other states after the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. They include Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York.

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Pelosi Tells People To Attend San Fran Gay Pride Parade, “It’s Fabulous, You’ll Love It”…

Fun for the whole family!
    [​IMG]
    (CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said, “Enough” with public nudity in San Francisco, adding, “Please. We have our standards.” She also encouraged people to attend the city’s Gay Pride Parade, remarking, “It’s fabulous, you’ll love it.”

San Francisco’s ban on public nudity went into effect on Feb. 1, but not without protests as four naked people were arrested on the steps of City Hall.

“Enough with the public nudity,” Pelosi said in an interview with The Huffington Post on Feb. 12. [...]

Though she says she’s had it with public nudity, Pelosi still encouraged people to attend the upcoming annual Gay Pride Parade on June 30.

“Come see our gay pride parade,” she said. “It’s fabulous. You’ll love it.”

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Someone SWATS “Dirty Harry”
    [​IMG]
    Not the person to pick on, as that .44 can blow your head clean off…

Via TMZ:

A “swatting” prankster in L.A. must have a death wish … because TMZ has learned, the latest bogus 911 call to involve a celebrity targeted Dirty Harry himself … Clint Eastwood.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, multiple units rushed to Eastwood’s L.A. home this week after a relay service called 911 … reporting multiple males armed with assault weapons inside the actor’s house and people had been shot.

When the officers arrived at the scene, we’re told they found nothing wrong … the standard “swatting” scenario.

Police were unable to determine if anyone was home at the time of the prank.

It’s the latest in a long string of similar celebrity “swatting” pranks — other victims include Ashton Kutcher, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Simon Cowell, Tom Cruise, the Kardashians and Chris Brown.

The LAPD is really starting to get pissed too — because the pranks are a HUGE waste of valuable resources and even put innocent people’s lives in danger. As one law enforcement source put it, “The suspects WILL be caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.” One 12-year-old kid has already been charged in connection with some of the calls.

So, to whoever keeps doing this … you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Last year, there was a rash of “SWAT” attacks against conservatives, resulting in members of Congress asking the Department of Justice (aka Eric Holder) to do something. Crickets since then.

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Gov. Jerry Brown’s “Realignment Program”- Put GPS Trackers On Child Molesters, Sex Offenders And Don’t Punish Them When They Take Them Off
    [​IMG]
    Gov. Moonbeam strikes again.

Via LA Times:

SACRAMENTO — Thousands of paroled child molesters, rapists and other high-risk sex offenders in California are removing or disarming their court-ordered GPS tracking devices — and some have been charged with new crimes including sexual battery, kidnapping and attempted manslaughter.

The offenders have discovered that they can disable the monitors, often with little risk of serving time for it, a Times investigation has found. The jails are too full to hold them.

“It’s a huge problem,” said Fresno parole agent Matt Hill. “If the public knew, they’d be shocked.”

More than 3,400 arrest warrants for GPS tamperers have been issued since October 2011, when the state began referring parole violators to county jails instead of returning them to its packed prisons. Warrants increased 28% in 2012 compared to the 12 months before the change in custody began.Nearly all of the warrants were for sex offenders, who are the vast majority of convicts with monitors, and many were for repeat violations.

The custody shift is part of Gov. Jerry Brown and the legislature’s “realignment” program, to comply with court orders to reduce overcrowding in state prisons. But many counties have been under their own court orders to ease crowding in their jails.

Some have freed parole violators within days, or even hours, of arrest rather than keep them in custody. Some have refused to accept them at all.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sex-offenders-20130224,0,7527440.story

13. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

California Commies Relent, Veterans Memorial To Include American Flag, Words “United States”…
    [​IMG]
    Via Weekly Standard:

Americans have long had to fight City Hall, but now they have to fight an almost endless list of government bureaucracies at both the state and federal levels. Occasionally, however, the little guy still wins.

On the Central Coast of California, a private citizen named Steve LeBard — operating on behalf of various voluntary civil associations — has led an effort to build a privately funded memorial to America’s military veterans on a small plot of public land at the entrance to Old Town Orcutt. From the spring of 2011 onward, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has maddeningly opposed him at every turn, balking at (among other things) the fact that the planned memorial was to include an American flag; that it was to include the words “United States”; and that it was to include the phrase “E Pluribus Unum.”

Now, Caltrans is waving the white flag. It turns out that, when faced with a steady barrage of negative publicity from the Santa Barbara News-Press, THE WEEKLY STANDARD, National Review Online, Fox News, and the Los Angeles Times, Caltrans can be quite reasonable. Of course, most private citizens don’t show the tenacious refusal to be bullied by senseless bureaucratic decrees that LeBard — who served in the Marines and is a Vietnam veteran — has shown, and the overwhelming majority of Caltrans’s affronts to private initiative and common sense are never publicly exposed.

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Local news: this car chase and arrest were in my general area. I'd like to thank Nevada for sending their crazy bastards here. We can alway use a few more... :roll:

Dems gone wild! LAS VEGAS

Home - by Cardigan - March 30, 2013 - 15:00 America/New_York - 3 Comments

KTLA

Ousted Assemblyman Arrested After High-Speed Chase

LAS VEGAS, Nev. — Former Nevada Assemblyman Steven Brooks was arrested near Barstow after a high-speed chase, hours after being expelled from the Legislature because he was “potentially dangerous.”

Brooks, 41, was arrested about 7 p.m. Thursday on Interstate 15 at Stoddard Wells Road, officials said. He was being held in the San Bernardino County Jail in Rancho Cucamonga on $100,000 bail, jail officials told the Los Angeles Times.
    Authorities said it was unclear why Brooks was in California.

The arrest followed a high-speed chase that ended when police used spike strips to disable the runaway vehicle in which the driver was throwing metal objects at police, including a handgun, according to the Victorville Daily Press.

In January, Brooks was arrested on suspicion of threatening a fellow Democrat, Assembly Speaker Marilyn Kirkpatrick. Just days after Brooks’ alleged threats against the speaker, he was accused of grabbing for an officer’s gun during an arrest in Las Vegas on suspicion of domestic battery.

15. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Commie California’s Net Worth Down To A Negative $127.2 Billion…

[​IMG]
    Typical Dem-run fiscal craphole.

Via SacBee:

Were California’s state government a business, it would be a candidate for insolvency with a negative net worth of $127.2 billion, according to an annual financial report issued by State Auditor Elaine Howle and the Bureau of State Audits.

The report, which covers the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012, says that the state’s negative status — all of its assets minus all of its liabilities — increased that year, largely because it spent more than it received in revenue.

During the 2011-12 fiscal year, the state’s general fund spent $1.7 billion more than it received in revenues and wound up with an accumulated deficit of just under $23 billion from several years of red ink. Gov.Jerry Brown has referred to that and other budget gaps, mostly money owed to schools, as a “wall of debt” totaling more than $30 billion.

Last November, voters passed an increase in sales and income taxes that Brown says will balance the state’s operating budget and allow the debt wall to be gradually dismantled.

About half of the $127.2 billion in accumulated red ink came from the state’s issuing general obligation bonds and then giving the money to local governments and school districts for public works projects, the auditor pointed out. The assets built with the bonds remain on local balance sheets while the bonded debt accrues to the state.

16. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

How in the name of whatever you hold holy is this even possible. It's a state that has a self-sufficient dairy, citrus, cattle and pork industry. It's a state that has quite literally everything except an energy source that belongs to it. It's gorgeous. It holds everything imaginable type of land except for swamp. For trade and commerce, it has the rest of the United States to one side and the world's fastest growing economy (Asia) to the other side.

How? How do you **** this up? As recent as the mid to late 1990s, it was the world's 5th largest economy....HOW?

This are all rhetorical though. I often use California as my example of 'Oh, you claim we've never tried what Obama wants to do... have you seen my home state of California?'

17. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

re: energy source

California is the #3 oil producing state...
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/americas-top-5-oil-producing-states-2012-12-12

re: dairy industry
    Yesterday's L.A. Times had a big article about how all the dairys in this state are leaving. Some governors from other states were in Sacramento last weekend offering deals to those who agree to move. Other states are poaching all these over-taxed family businesses and they're leaving for greener pastures...

18. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

How are you still making oil? I thought the Dems would have shut that down long ago.. I guess they leave enough pumping to keep the union jobs going.

To me, this is the danger of mixing the social and economic values of politics. It's also a glaring new(ish) example of what happens when Unions run wild. Not a lot of running commentary from Dave about this situation.

19. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Liberal Sacramento Bee Runs Op-Ed Cartoon Mocking Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion That Killed 15 People…

Disgusting.
    [​IMG]

More...

Townhall -

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he’s disgusted a California newspaper ran a cartoon that depicts him boasting about booming business in Texas, then shows an explosion, a week after a fertilizer plant explosion killed 14 people in a Texas town.

Perry said he wants an apology from the Sacramento Bee on behalf of the town.

The cartoon in Thursday’s edition shows Perry crowing that “Business is Booming,” flanked by signs saying “Low Tax!” and “‘Low Regs!” It’s a play on the Republican’s often-repeated mantra that his state’s low-regulation, business-friendly climate has its economy humming.

The next panel reads “Boom!” as a blast engulfs the area behind the governor and his signs.

An April 17 explosion in the town of West, which is outside Waco, left a crater more than 90 feet wide and is estimated to have caused more than $100 million in damage. The blast occurred moments after a fire was reported at the West Fertilizer plant.

Ten of the people killed were first responders who rushed to the nighttime blaze.

In a letter to the Bee’s editor, Perry said it “was with extreme disgust and disappointment I viewed your recent cartoon.”

“While I will always welcome healthy policy debate, I won’t stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans,” Perry wrote. “Additionally, publishing this on the very day our state and nation paused to honor and mourn those who died only compounds the pain and suffering of the many Texans who lost family and friends in this disaster.”

20. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

It would be hard to imagine anything more classless than this.