Texas Longhorn runs car into apt.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Maybe this isn't of much interest to most of you, but as a ND fan I find that this presents a unique opportunity to compare and contrast Texas and Notre Dame.

On the one had Will Yeatman was on probation for driving a golf cart drunk when he was caught holding a beer at an off campus party (MIP). He was suspended from school for the year. He eventually transfered to Maryland and played Lacrosse for them this year against Notre Dame.

We have Joesph Fauria who apparently did something wrong, not illegal but against the ND rules of behavior. It is worthy to note that he has maintained a very good GPA and what he did again was not illegal. He was tossed for the summer/fall could come back in the spring. Thinking he was unfairly treated he is going to transfer.

Now no matter wheter or not you think these young men were treated fairly or unfairly is not the point. It is what it is, it's Notre Dame.

So lets look at Texas. Last week Sergio Kindle probably Texas top returning player on defense and a very talented player ran his car into an apartment at 2:50AM, and left the scene saying he knew he was hurt and needed to go home and go to bed. Now Kindle being the fine upstanding citizen he is pushed the car out of the apt (with the help of the guys riding with him) and abandoned it down the street). Of course we'll never really know if he was drunk when he did this and had the presence of mind to know he was drunk and that if he goes home and sleeps it off by the time the cops get to him and can force/compel cajole him to take a test the alcohol will have cleared his system and DUI could not be proved and some other more benign reason (texting) will be offered and that will be that..another accident to irresponsible texting...but no DUI. Why is the DUI important, not just because it was a DUI, but because he already has 1 DUI on his record and he was suspended for 3 (whoa that's tough love) games in 2007. So what will happen here, will Texas hold him out of any games in 2009? I submit that they will not, after all it was an accident and Texas law doesn't really consider hitting a building much of a big deal ...unless of course you're drunk....

2 1st time DUI's one with a golf cart and the other with a vehicle that could really kill somebody very easily...one lost the whole season and the other got 3 games. 2nd offenses were ND player hold a bottle of beer and losing another season on the field and the UT players punishment for running into an apartment but not hurting anybody ...to be determined.

Just the way it is folks and this is a classic case.

Kindle vs ND players

Terry

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

A couple of points
    1. Yeatman got caught for a second time. He was a serial idiot.
    2. Kindle was smart enough to avoid being caught for a second time. While Yeatman's second incident was criminal in nature ie. he violated his probation, Kindle probably has been smart enough to avoid any criminal involvement.
    Yeatman's suspension was in reality, for stupidity.
    As to Fauria I suspect that the individual most responsible for his transfer is Kyle Rudolph.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I see that there is a vocal contingent on NDNAtion - What a surprise! - complaining about the university administration, police force, campus life govt., basically anything and anyone representing authority and responsibility. I hope those who frequent NDN look beyond the issues of these folks and toward the fact that ND is a special place that is not for everyone. Like Terry said, it is what it is.

I agree with gipper's wise counsel above.

4. Terry O'Keefe

I don't really disagree, Yeatman didn't violate a ND Res Life order he violated a Judges order...not very smart.

But the point is still that ND is a place where you are held responsible for your actions, UT is looking for a way to keep you playing in big games. Mich is the same, remember that felon who Lloyd made sit out the 1st half of the ND game...ooooooooh big punishment. There are many other examples of this, it is what it is.

And yes I give Kindle his due for realizing that he needed to not be given a breathalyzer or blood test for alcohol...smart move on his part. Sort of like that Chicago Bear who rans his 250K sports car into a bridge abuttment and got out and took off and reported his car stolen. Main thing was he knew he'd fail a alcohol test but also knew if it was 24 or more hours he'd be clean. I don't think he was thinking too clear though when he made a false statement to the police.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think Kindle is a big Teddy Kennedy admirer.

6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

My concern is are there any Texas fans concerned about this besides the one in Houston? :twisted:

7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

All I can say is I'm glad we didn't get Kindle.

Mack should do something. I don't know what, but something.
    (and maybe he is behind the scenes)

The kid has now shown a trend. He did it once, and got caught. He's done it again, but skirted the law. You can bet there have been many other times we don't know about.
    Will it take injuring/killing someone before it's dealt with?

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Does that mean that they've temporarily halted bitching about the schedule, coaching, recruiting, TV commentators, and field surface?

9. Terry O'Keefe

What part of misdemeanor and noboby hurt did you not understand. Mack was on his knees thanking the Lord that he cleaned up the blow, weed and alcohol from the car and didn't forget to take his weapon with him when he abandoned his car! :)

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

No. It's all in the same bucket. I know that there are some intelligent, insightful people there, like our own TOK, but there also is a shrill band of misfits, many of whom, I'm sorry to say, are alumni.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Well I'm pretty sure at this point that this isn't going to amount to a hill of beans. If so, Kindle can thank his lucky stars that he had the presence of mind to leave the scene of the accident, because if he didn't pass a sobriety test he'd likely be facing jail time.