Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I see that Biden has formed a 36 member commission to study the Supreme Court. Of course the left wants to pack the court and reverse the current conservative majority.

One thing that is always talked about is some sort of term limits for the Justices. I would actually support that item, I don't know what the length of the Term should be or maybe they should forced to retire at a certain age regardless of health. Of course if you do it for the Supremes then the entire federal judiciary would have to be on term limits as well. That could be a burden replacing justices all the time.

My feeling is that many of them hang on till they are on deaths door, mainly due to who is in office. RBG I have no doubt would have retired had Clinton been elected but she hung on as I doubt she would have wanted her "slot" going to a Conservative. Unfortunately for her she couldn't hang on long enough and we now have Amy Coney Barrett.

Roosevelt famously tried to pack the court and it didn't work. I doubt very seriously if Biden will be able to pack the court either.

President Biden to Sign Executive Order Creating the Presidential Commission on the Supreme Court of the United States | The White House

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The Constitution (art. III) states that Justices hold their position "during good Behaviour." Doesn't seem like the Congress can term limit them. Also they can't reduce their pay and force them out. But when did the Constitution ever mean anything to the left. They hate the Second Amendment and want to infringe on it, they want to do away with the Electoral College so why not try to meddle with SCOTUS? These are the same hypocritical liars that claimed that Trump was a danger to the Constitution.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

They have expanded (and contracted) the number of justices on the Supreme Court with various "Judiciary Acts" the last one being in 1869 when the court was set at it's current 9 members. So with that precedent it would seem that at the very least Congress could expand the Court via legislation. Whether or not that legislation could also impose term limits I have no idea.

I assume that a Constitutional Amendment could do all of that, but you know that would take years and likely that the required number of states would never be reached for the Amendment to become law.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Biden is and always has been a moderate Democrat, which, of course, is left of center, but should not be confused with the locally favored negative implication of "the left". I can't read his mind, but I speculate that he's forming this 36 member commission to assuage the ranting voices on the far left (similar in tone and volume to those on the far right) without outwardly appearing to be disinterested in taking any action. I suspect he doesn't want to mess with this explosive issue, but he wants to quiet the mob, at least for the time being, and push the issue into the background while he works on the more immediate parts of his agenda. If the members of the commission have collective intelligence and foresight, they eventually will conclude that it's futile to try to change the status quo (See Terry's post above) and that even if they could do so, it could and likely would come back to bite them at some point in the future. The two extremes on either side of the spectrum are filled with non-compromising, ideologically rigid voices who focus only on what they want and not on all the potentially negative aspects of hot button issues like court packing. On this issue, the far left is wrong, but they don't see it that way. I'm hoping I'm right about Biden's objective. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If they handle the next "project" like they handled the southern border, I wouldn't look for anything well thought out or run. When people are given positions, not because they're the best suited for the job, but because of their race, gender or sexual preference you're likely to get a *********** like we're seeing on the border. Looks like the "infrastructure" bill is loaded with green energy boondoggles and racial equity matters like tearing up "racist" highways. Biden's an infrastructure expert. Remember those "shovel ready" jobs under Obama?

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Biden has been anything but moderate since Jan. 20. He has been everything that people feared from Bernie Sanders. He is a far left progressive who campaigned as a moderate because a far left progressive could not get elected. He is a true Trojan Horse president.

No one can figure out how this guy got elected given his no energy campaign style, total lack of platform, mediocre record and obvious cognitive difficulties. How about this scenario..... Bernie ran a great campaign in 2016 but got screwed by his own party. Bernie comes back in 2020 and gets little footing and is out quickly. Trump appears to be in the drivers seat. Bernie and the Squad go to Joe Biden and make an offer to get behind him and get him the one thing eh has always wanted but usually plagiarized himself out of... the presidency. They tell him that his diminished health will keep him from beating Trump but they can make it happen. Just stay out of the way, in your basement and try not to say any thing too stupid and they will coordinate a series of phony impeachments, allegations and whatnot against Trump and they will manipulate the election using the covid pandemic as cover to get the votes he needs for election. He will realize his dream, get a nice portrait hung in the WH and get to take some bows.

But in exchange he has to do their bidding. The first demand was Harris as VP. With absolutely nothing to recommend her except pigment she is now VP. Then the list of Executive Orders meant to erase Trump's legacy clean. Except they overshot the runway with opening the borders and have created a human rights crisis. So they simply ignore it and cover it up by going straight to gun control, court packing and a slew of trillion dollar spending sprees paid for by freshly printed money with no backing. They step up their white supremacy attacks, more chaos in the streets, promise of reparations, payments to foreigners, etc. I'm quite certain that every day Joe gets a briefing from an intermediary telling him what he is to do next for the Progressives.

• Agree Agree x 1