Stimulus impasse

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Motorcity Gator, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I worked for a Trump Republican for 10 years..... was very successful and brought in a ton of business as their only salesperson..... and was rewarded with zero raise in 10 years. I understand why the Dems are concerned how the minds of their GOP counterparts think when crafting the stimulus/bailout package:

"The fact is, we need to learn from 10 years ago," said Sen. Sherrod Brown, Democrat of Ohio, on the Senate floor. "The same people came to us and said, 'We need this bailout.' They promised that it would help people stay in their homes. They promised that it would be money in the pockets of workers. The banks have done well. The executives have done well. But since then wages have basically remained flat."
    "The American people don't want another corporate bailout," added Brown. "They don't want a bailout for Wall Street. They don't want a bailout for the airlines. They want money. If we're going to do a relief package, the money needs to go in the pockets of workers."

2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

You could not have worked for a Trump Republican for ten years. Five years ago, Trump himself was a Democrat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Motorcity Gator

Ok let's say he was a Rick Scott Republican and ardent supporter before he was a rally attending Trump worshiper.

4. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

So......that makes it believable now?

5. Motorcity Gator

AJ my ex-boss is as Fox News far right conservative as it gets. Whether that meant going to the Rick Scott fundraisers or the Trump rallies he is a GOP conservative through and through.... and only gave one person a raise in 10 years that I worked there..... and that guy actually had to get in a loud embarassing shouting match with him and then quit his job before coming back at a small raise.

6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

So you knew one asshole that was a conservative...that makes all conservatives assholes. I get tired of this. Please in this thread talk about why the holdup in the package due to wanting to force airlines to go carbon neutral, new green deal initiatives, require restructuring corporate boards to include union members, big subsidy for the Kennedy Art Center, etc., etc. These things are worthy of discussion but this is like telling the firefighters they can't hook up the hoses until we decide what color we repaint the house after the fire is put out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Motorcity Gator

"due to wanting to force airlines to go carbon neutral, new green deal initiatives, require restructuring corporate boards to include union members, big subsidy for the Kennedy Art Center, etc., etc."

Source?

8. Stu Ryckman

House Speaker Pelosi unveils $2.5 trillion Democrat coronavirus stimulus plan as Senate bill stagnates

Republicans denounced House Democrats’ bill as a wish list, noting it includes provisions on federal elections, minimum wages, union regulations and climate change that Democrats have long advocated.

“Republicans had a deal until Nancy Pelosi rode into town from her extended vacation,” Trump said in a Twitter post late Monday night. “The Democrats want the Virus to win? They are asking for things that have nothing to do with our great workers or companies.”

The House plan would direct airlines that receive assistance to offset their carbon emissions and reduce them by 50% by 2050.

People are sick, families are frightened, our economy has ground to a halt, and workers face unprecedented job loss,” House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy said in a statement. “Democrats are using this national crisis to hold relief hostage unless Congress mandates corporate board diversity requirements and major components of the Green New Deal

9. Stu Ryckman

10. Motorcity Gator

11. Stu Ryckman

Most of the country is staying at home and making big sacrifices...and Republicans and Democrats in Congress keep playing politics.

12. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

One page: X dollars for citizens in certain income levels.
    X dollars for small businesses with certain employee numbers.
    X dollars for hospitals that meet certain criteria.
    SEND IT.
    The rest can be dithered over later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Motorcity Gator

With no oversight I'll bet my ex-boss is salivating over his upcoming small business loan. But I agree this is not the time to quibble over how he might spend the money primarily for his own well being without much concern for his employees.

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I went over Pelosi's bill. It had so many things not in any way related to solving the economic crisis. There was 13 mil. for Howard University. 300 mil. for the National Endowment for the Arts, 300 mil. for the National Endowment for the Humanities and 300 mil for National Broadcasting. There was absentee ballots for everybody and no need to show id to get one. There was 200 mil. a year from 2001-06 for sustainable fuels and the reduction of airline carbon footprints. To put all that crap in a bill that is supposed to be a lifeline in a crisis is something only sick leftists would do.

15. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Dude have you ever applied for a small business loan from the Federal govt. plucking pubic hairs with a tweezer is easier and less painful.

16. Motorcity Gator

"To put all that crap in a bill that is supposed to be a lifeline in a crisis is something only sick leftists would do." Agreed it's ridiculous..... which is why too far left is way too far left.

Ralph I would think getting a small business loan in this crisis from a fund created specifically for relief and stimulus is a rules breaker..... should be a lot easier. But without oversight I can see lots of abuse opportunities.

17. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

You may be right in this, it’s just been my experience that anything that spells out Fed loans pertaining to business is a tedious adventure with many hurdles to jump through. Then if by chance your hand didn’t fall off signing the paperwork it opens up your business to Federal oversight

Either way there’s room for thievery in a bill of such magnitude