Spring Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I'll go with Too and Lawrence but don't see Fields as number 3. I think Fromm is under rated.

Will be glad when the Gators have a QB in that conversation again.

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

NU spring game sold out...let that sink in...some places dont even charge admission.

Live on BTN at 1300 hrs CST!

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

AJ, I hope we do not go overtime today and delay your telecast??:) Our game is 12:00 EST.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

ND spring games rarely have great attendance, 20-30K would be about the max. Texas Spring games do better than that but now where even close to selling out like Neb does for it's Spring Games

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Alabama has pulled some massive crowds for spring games but I think with all the success, they've tamed a bit.

6. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Florida played their spring game today and against a very vanilla defense the offensive skill players looked better than any I have seen since the NC days of Tebow.

UF is very very deep in receivers and running backs and Franks at Qb continued his amazing improvement since two years ago with a terrific performance.
    Keep in mind that recent Gator offenses couldn't line up and complete passes against thin air so what I saw today coupled with the 82 points put up at the end of last season vs FSU and Michigan makes me think Florida is finally back as an elite team.

Of course it could all go horribly astray if the offensive line depth isn't there when it needs to be during the grind of a long season. I would say opponents in the first part of the season like Miami, Ky. and Tenn could be looking at a rough outing vs. this Gator offense. If the OL doesn't hold up later as the season goes on teams like LSU and Georgia may fare much better vs. Florida.

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Well the Irish 1st team Offense looked just fine. Book is ready to have and even better season than last and the WRs, TEs an are impressive. The Defense looks good also. Obviously one negative thing stood out, our backup QB is nowhere near being ready for prime-time. I may eat my words later but the incoming freshman QB better be good or we will be in serious trouble if Ian Book does down.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Gray Squad defeated the Scarlet group 35-17 before an estimated crowd of about 61,000 fans. Very controlled scrimmage by Coach Day, but some nice highlights and no tackling to prevent early season injuries. Justin Fields and Mathew Baldwin got most of the reps as expected. The five-star receiver from IMG Academy looked the part. He will be hard to keep off the field as a freshman!

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

yeah Corey, I think they are saying the attendance in Tuscaloosa yesterday was about 30K. Down quite a bit from the 90K+ a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorn Spring game was forgettable. The weather wasn't great, it was very windy and Sam Ehlinger didn't look all that good. I think there were around 30K in attendance.

11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Don't pay much attention to spring games...just a practice open to the public. Low score...ok...is your defense that good or is your offense that bad. High score...is your offense that good or is your defense that bad. I guess I'm a curmudgeon but I couldn't care less about spring games.

12. Motorcity Gator

I usually feel pretty close to the same about it Stu except in the past few years you could see even in the spring game that the UF passing game had issues and this year you could see that they were possibly all improved from the end of last season when they were firing on all cylinders. Even against a vanilla defense they were some talented looking skill players... and yes even at the QB position where there hasn't been much praise after a spring game. Our defense should be pretty salty when Grantham gets to run it so I'm encouraged by our prospects.... yet concerned what could happen with OL injuries.

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I don't care about the score and don't believe it's a reliable predictor of what's to come, but it's nice to see the team on the field halfway between last season and next season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I agree that if your offense looks great what does it say about your defense and vice/versa. Kelly commented about the Spring game.

15. Motorcity Gator

By contrast here is what one fan had to say about the Florida 2013 spring game event:
    "Gentlemen, everything you saw or didn’t see, was all by design. This football administration didn’t want you to see the truth. Jeff Driskel ( starting QB ) is not competent and they know it. They use any excuse in the book to cover his inability to read defenses and make accurate throws. He will not take charge and assure the O moves the chains. He believes in leadership by committee, unlike TT who led his team by example. WAKE UP GATOR NATION AND SEE THIS SHAM FOR WHAT IT IS!!!!!

UF went on to an inglorious 4-8 record in 2013 with an absolutely miserable offense under Will Muschamp.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Driskel had a good season once he got away from Fla. I think La.Tech wasn't it? Got to play quite a bit with the Bengals last year when Andy Dalton went down.

17. Motorcity Gator

Yeah Driskell was actually a much better player than he was allowed to show under the moribund offenses of Will Muschamp. So was Jacoby Brissett who went on the NFL as well.
    But in spring games pretty much all of UF's offensive players looked pretty average to bad.
    The difference from those days to now is night and day.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Bobda must have taken up flying lessons!

19. Terry O'Keefe

While at Ohio State....Don must have missed this event!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Recruiting is heating up a bit now that Spring Football is over. I see that a top recruit who had been verballed to OU since 2017 has flipped to Alabama. Tide in their usual position with one of the top classes so far. But surprisingly the top class goes to Eddie O and LSU, is it possible that Eddie O is going to make it and put LSU back to where they were when Nick was the coach?

It's pretty early of course, but Mr. Feb Mack Brown has a good class going at UNC and is currently in the top 10 as is the new guy at Ga.Tech. I don't expect those two teams to finish there for sure, but being in the top 25 would be big improvements for them if they can continue to build their class.

Texas only has 5 verbals compared to 14 for LSU and 16 for Alabama. Herman is being deliberate with his recruiting. Irish have 8 and are ranked #12, we lost out recently on a couple of our DB targets and one of our Top OL targets (Jimmy Christ) has a brother at UVA and lives close by UVA so while he's a great fit for the Irish a lot feel he's going to stay close to home with family.