Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I think we should give some kind of special award this year to Sports Illustrated. For all their stupidness and silly posturing over the years...they really outdid themselves this season. Remember who their preseason #1 was? It was Oregon State.

I watched the Beavers home opener today. They were marinated by UCLA in a game so one sided, that the Bruins could have made the score anything they wanted to.

How bad was it? OSU crossed midfield once, to the 44 before the Bruins put in the reserves. They also punted NINE times before UCLA emptied the bench. It was brutal. Even more brutal than their arse whipping at the hands of Fresno State.

Does anybody at Sports Illustrated actually watch these games?

..........JO'Co

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The next few weeks will be interesting. Oregon State started slow last year, although they didn't lose. They went down and beat USC and UCLA and they were red hot from that point on. If Oregon State finishes the year at 8-3 or even 7-4, then UCLA and Fresno look all the better..

I really think that OSU underestimated how much they would miss those big play WRs and DEs... Having those guys allowed them to do things they simply can't this year.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

BTW,

How are things in Trojan town since they aren't tearing it up yet?

[This message has been edited by Corey (edited 09-30-2001).]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

The Trojan 'faithful' are booing the home team mercilessly at the Coliseum, as Carroll is wondering what in the hell he has gotten himself into. He really lost it near the end of the Stanford game, when his players continued to get unsportmanlike penalties as the clock [and game] ticked away...

It's A Trainwreck...:_]...JO'Co

5. Guest

Guest Guest

This is the worst thing that could have happened to USC. They haven't lost to a bad team yet and really don't have any bad losses either.. They have shown that they are close, but have to break those old habits.. Will the Trojie nation be patient?? I doubt it. [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It was just amazing to me that the Trogs went after Pete Carroll. He never had any success at the Pro level to indicate he would be a great head coach at any level of football.

I'm still wondering why they weren't able to close the deal with any of the other coaches that they had interviewed. Like Dennis Erickson or Bellotti or Riley. Could it be nobody wants to work for Mike Garrett after they meet him up close and personal.

Terry

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes. Garrett is the problem.

8. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I'm just glad my Cougs don't have to play USC this year...that game looks like it would be a no-win situation; the way things are going right for us, we would be expected to win, but USC is a team right now that's just WAITING to jump up and bite somebody in the a$$...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Kes,

I agree. USC is not only a good team but a VERY good team that has shot itself in the foot with it's new systems. Don't get me wrong, I hate USC with a flying blue passion. But when I watch them, all I see that's keeping them from winning these games is their stupid mental mistakes.. If they can correct those, they will start beating people.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

...and it's time to point out that Kes's Washington State Cougars are undefeated and sneaking around beating people like Oregon State did last year. After they bombed Arizona, they're not a secret anymore...

...JO'Co

11. WSU1996kesley

thx JO'Co!

And as Scott can attest, I am PISSED!!! I can deal with the cancellation of our showdown with Colorado (officially no longer possible to reschedule, after substituting Montana St.) whom we would have surprised (maybe lost, but we had an advantage at that time). I can deal with the fact that Oregon St. isn't as good as they looked at the beginning of the year (we could still lose this one, but don't count on it). But, after 4-0, averaging something like 45 pts per game and we're STILL not ranked??? GEES! We KILLED AZ this weekend, 14 of their 21 pts came off turnovers (1 fumble and 1 int) so our defense gave up 7 points. We have a top 10 receiver, a top 20 rusher and a top 15/20 (?) passer and we have 20 pts (100+ pts behind #25) in the USA Today poll. COME ON!

About the best we can look forward to IF we go undefeated (Scott thinks otherwise...) is to receive a BCS bid OTHER than the Rose Bowl since at LEAST 2 other teams look to be undefeated this year (Miami has few challenges left this year, Fresno St. has good competition but they look like men among boys in their conference, and FL, NE, OU or TX could make it out of their conferences unscathed) and thus remove the possibility of a PAC-10 school being represented in the Rose Bowl. ARRGH!

hehe Okay, maybe we've got a LONG road ahead of us, and 9-2 is going to be tough to get to (still play Stanford, Oregon, UCLA and Washington) but I'm still a bit frustrated at having started so low.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Wasn't it me who suggested the Wazzu coach would be moving to ND next year! [​IMG] If you guys go 9-2/10-1 I'll bet bunch of money he'll end up on Kevin White's short list.

Terry

13. WSU1996kesley

You suck, T! You could definitely do worse IMNSHO than Coach Price. He may not always be able to deliver the Ws but he's a class act all the way, and has over-achieved more often than under- with the talent level he is able to recruit at WSU.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

That's why I think he'll be primed to move up some place. Everybody in the ND Nation is thinking Major Stars like Gruden and Stoops....I'm thinking they are going to find a guy who's 1)Got experience 2) has shown he knows how to win at the collegiate level 3)Has class 4) and has done all that with limited resources....ergo when given more talent and resources will step up to the plate and smack one out of the park.

How long has White been at WSU? Was he the coach that took them to the Rose Bowl in '98?

Terry

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Terry,

White's been there a long time. Yes he was there during the Leaf RB team and the Bledsoe era.. Kes would be better suited to give you all the details.

Wazzou is a hard one to figure. They are always pretty good, even when bad. They are usually tough in Pullman. The next few weeks will tell us a lot about this Wazzou team.

Corey

16. WSU1996kesley

Okay, I'm going to reveal my ignorance here, I don't know of a White. We had an assistant coach Del Wight, but he left after the 91 season...and we have a Sr. WR Jason White who I think red-shirted but was on the RB team...if, however, you mean Mike Price then yes, he's been with us for 13 (2001 is 13th) years, since Dennis Erickson left in 88.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Kes,

hahaha that's what I get for reading multiple articles in multiple windows [​IMG] Yes PRICE is the man I was referring to earlier

18. WSU1996kesley

lol

Okay, I was kinda worried about that for a sec, since you knew of him and I didn't. [​IMG]

19. Guest

Guest Guest

My Bad Kes...I was thinking your guy was Mike White...but it's Mike Price isn't it. Still he might be a hot comodity if you guys have a great season. There have been so many coaching changes the last couple of years that all the young guns are in their 1st or 2nd year at the new schools.

Terry

20. WSU1996kesley

np T. I would hate to see Coach Price leave but wouldn't blame him if he did.

Well, thought some of you might be interested in some press we've received, it's short and sweet! click here