Setting up nicely for Florida

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Dec 13, 2006.

1. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Glaring differences:

Teams that run a spread option are usually heavily penalized.

Urban teams are always heavily penalized while the Bucks are not. 110-838 Yards vs. 57-428 yards.

OSU converts 51.3 % 3rd downs vs. FL 43.2 %.

Both are strong in the Red Zone but Fl turns the ball over much more with 14 ints to OSU’s 5 ints. The Buckeyes also give up fewer sacks 14 to 22.

On defense the Buckeyes pressure the QB better 37 sacks to 29 or (3.08 per game vs. 2.23) and have more TFL’s. Surprisingly, Fl is tougher in the Red Zone allowing only 64% conversion against OSU’s 84 %.

I don't know how anyone can sugar coat basic stats without looking at these huge differences. Take into account that Florida has NO kicking game and the differences are HUGE !!

There is no way, shape, or form that Florida is performing at the same high level as OSU.

2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ,

I didn't have the heart to tell them that Cincy would likely be favored over at least 7 teams on the Gator schedule...perhaps 8 dependinig on where the game was played!

The turnover disparity is glaring.....Leak is 3 times more likely to throw a pick than Smith and we have a ballhawking, opportunistic defense that is more likely than the Gators D to grab one even without Leak's evidenced generosity. In addtion, no defense in the country is more likely to take a pick back to the house than the Buckeyes.....I'd be shocked if Leak didn't throw us one.....that said MCG, if stats are any indication, the Buckeyes are vastly more likely to take one to the house than are your Gators.

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"I didn't have the heart to tell them that Cincy would likely be favored over at least 7 teams on the Gator schedule...perhaps 8 dependinig on where the game was played!"

Name them.....UCF and WCar for sure......then what?

At Vandy....uh uh....

Anybody else?

Also...all OSU stats are against the Big 10 primarily and no good teams in non-con except Texas....which was played very early with a freshman QB learning the ropes for Texas.

When the bowls play out I will have more to say one way or the other.

If the Big 10 or SEC excels or one doesn't that may indicate the relative conference strengths to a degree.

I may temper my comparison based on that or I may step it up for Florida. We will see.

4. BuckeyeT

MCG,

Cincy's power rating which one could argue is a reasonable indicator of favorites in match-ups is superior to KY, Bama, FSU, Vandy, So Miss, W. Car, and UCF. They are neck and neck with So Car so if the game was in Cincy, they would perhaps be favored.

Cincy played some pretty good football this year fellas. Upset a fine Rutgers team and had a shot to win at Louisville at the gun but just fell short......only really got blown out once. 8)

5. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

7. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Had to leave that one for you .... or T.

:wink:

8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've fixed so you can embed the Youtube stuff in your posts.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqvxyiQ1-Uc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqvxyiQ1-Uc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

9. Motorcity Gator

"There is no way, shape, or form that Florida is performing at the same high level as OSU."

11 Division 1 wins for Fla against a tougher schedule vs. 11 wins for OSU.

Hmmmm......isn't winning against a tough schedule a possible measure of performance?

Keep in mind this Florida team has beaten all challengers and should have lost by only 4 even with a screw job at Auburn.

The real pretenders in recent NC games all lost by huge margins at the end of the season....NU to Col and OU to KState.

10. BuckeyeT

.....ummmmm, I don't think so.

There is only one D1 team that can make that claim and it ain't the Gators. 8)

11. Motorcity Gator

I did clarify even though it was a little misspoken.

All challengers except one was the better way to put it. Or maybe except two counting Al Ford.

12. BuckeyeT

D@mn those officials MCG, d@mn them again...... :roll:

What crap.....play better is my suggestion.

13. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Damn those crooked bastards. Damn them to hell!

8)

14. Motorcity Gator

Actually in a twisted sort of way as I pointed out earlier Al Ford helped to put Fla in a better position heading into Jan. 8th than they would have been at 13-0.

I truly think all this underdog crap and "they're gonna get smoked" crap will be a huge motivator in Glendale and that's a good thing.

Granted that any team should be up for this game and certainly OSU will be but the difference I think is in the 5 weeks previous. This team will be constantly provoked and have sand thrown in their face for 5 weeks instead of idolization and being patted on the back for 5 weeks so their attention to bowl preparation should be very intense.

If Fla manages to win this game pay attention to all the post game quotes/cliches from the players that you will hear about how they were disrespected as SEC Champs, etc. etc.

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Ok...now we're scared.

[​IMG]

16. BuckeyeT

Somebody is always the underdog and has to listen to the same "crap". It would be interesting to see how often the underdog prevails.....since the 98 BCS Championship game the favorite has won 5 of the 8 games. Texas was a dog last year, we were a big underdog in 02 and Oklahoma was a slight dog in 00. That's 62.5%....Buckeye futures on a win are currently trading at a 74% chance or about 3-1 odds.

That "crap" that ALL the dogs have had to listen to doesn't seem to be enough to get the job done in most cases.

Let us not forget that there are fundamental reasons why one is an underdog to begin with...... 8)

17. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Mo is like the Energizer Bunny, he just keeps on ticking.

[​IMG]

We have 3 weeks to go and it looks like all conversations about the game have been beaten like a dead horse, but I'm not counting Mo out. I know he's going to find new ways to keep this entertainment going for the next 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

18. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

LOL...worlds greatest animated (pun intended) .gif!! :)

19. Motorcity Gator

FSU in '99 was a clearly superior team to VaTech.

Two other dogs that lost...Neb and OU had the snot knocked out of them in their previous game prior to the NC game. Any bravado by those teams was pure nonsense.

This is different. This is the SEC Champ that barely lost on the road to Aub and is getting no respect.

20. BuckeyeT

Says who? I know lots of Hokies. They certainly didn't think so...before the game.
    :lol:

MCG, isn't that what they all say?

Here's some interesting stats I've dug up regarding offense and efficiency......

Ohio State and Florida (excl W Car) have both had almost the identical number of offensive possessions 137 for us, 136 for the Gators. The Gators total yardage numbers are not dramatically less than the Bucks, only 7 yards per game separate the teams in total offense, but the Bucks are vastly more productive where it counts....putting points on the board.

Gators:
    # possessions 136
    #TDs 40
    # FGs 4
    # TO's 24
    # Penalties 100 2nd most in 1A
    % scoring possessions 32.4%
    % TO's 17.7%
    % Penalties 73.5%
    %3rd Down Conv 43.2% 26th in 1A

Buckeyes:
    # possessions 137
    # TDs 55
    #FGs 9
    #TOs 15
    #Penalties 57 98th in 1A
    %scoring possessions 46.7%
    %TOs 11.0%
    %Penalties 41.6%
    %3rd Down Conv 51.3% 4th in 1A

Simply put, the Gators are much more mistake prone - TO's and penalties - and less efficient on 3rd down (Thank you Troy!) than are the Buckeyes, hence the Bucks ability to sustain drives and finish them with points on the board. Virtually the same number of possessions yields 20 more scoring plays - almost 2 per game - for the Buckeyes. That is an efficient offense - points on the board on almost every other possession.

imho, this simply validates much that has been said here.....if the Gators continue to turn the ball over and play sloppy/undisciplined football - TO's and penalties - their chances of winning are not great. They will need to play a much cleaner, more error free game to have a meaningful shot, imho.