Saban to retire.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 10, 2024.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If this happens, it's not my idea of the home run hire. I think we may have to wait 3 or 4 years for the home run hire. With the portal and Saban leaving, I'm thinking that the recruiting class may take a big hit. So can new recruits that just signed their LOI's enter the portal before they even get into school?

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The first two on Alabama’s wish list — Sark and Lanning — were 0-5 against Deboer and had more talented rosters. So this might work out just fine for Alabama but replacing a legend is a Herculean task.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Washington not only lost it's coach but Will Rogers the Portal QB from Miss State, who was going to be the replacement for Penix is back in the Portal again since the coach left.

They also has a couple of the backups leave so it's very slim QB room, only an incoming freshman at the moment

4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Obviously Bama was in a hurry to select a coach and maintain the recruits committed for 20024. The next 30 days and the Portal will tell the story, as to how successful Alabama will be this fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, the portal has made coaching changes even more traumatic than ever. Isaiah Bonds, the guy that caught the winning touchdown pass against Auburn, entered the portal the day after Saban retired. I wonder why. DeBoer is an offense oriented guy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Alabama Rumors: Kalen DeBoer Chose Bama After Receiving an Offer Topping $8.4 Million Annually From Washington
    We do know that DeBoer had a hefty buyout of $12 million, per Thamel. This was second only to Lanning’s massive $20 million buyout of the candidates initially linked to the Alabama opening. Teams are typically responsible for paying the new coach’s buyout in addition to the new contract figures.
    Terms of DeBoer’s deal with the Crimson Tide have yet to be disclosed. We can deduct DeBoer is likely earning more than $8 million annually given Washington’s final offer eclipsed this.

“Washington made a strong push to keep Kalen DeBoer, attempting to make him one of the country’s Top 10 coaches, per sources,” Thamel detailed on a January 12 message on X. “They offered to double his current base of $4.2 million (before bonuses).”

The Crimson Tide are sure to pitch this as DeBoer being the team’s top choice all along. This could be the case as opposing coaches look to leverage Bama for a raise at their current school. After just two seasons, DeBoer transformed a struggling Washington team all the way to the championship game after a perfect 13-0 regular season.

Alabama Football Strikes $12 Million Move for Coach as Top Candidates Pass

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Coach DeBoer had better put his big boy pants on. I count 5 2024 opponents in the final 2023 top 25 on the table for Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I was wondering where he would end up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Talk about getting a Masters degree in coaching!

10. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder who will take the UW job, the OCoord wanted it and he was turned down so I think it's a fair assumption that he will be the OCoord at Alabama. Kind of interesting that Saban tried to hire him last year before settling on Tommy Rees.

While there was a lot of speculation and names for the Alabama job, I'm not seeing any for UW.

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I just saw that Jason Milroe has entered the transfer portal. Not sure if it's legit.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Jedd Fisch will be the next football coach at Washington, the school announced Sunday.

Washington athletic director Troy Dannen engaged Fisch in a second interview this weekend and narrowed in on the former Arizona coach as the choice, sources said. He was the only candidate to emerge for a second interview after an initial round of candidate calls in the wake of Kalen DeBoer's exit for Alabama.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Wow, if true it makes no sense

14. Terry O'Keefe

OK not true.

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think that might have been a false report.

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Obviously. As the day went on, I forgot where I saw it. Probably on X. At the time, it didn't make sense but I thought I'd post it anyway. Glad I did. Another lesson to not believe everything I read on the internet. :rolleyes:

17. Terry O'Keefe

The Tide lost a top rated TE yesterday to the Portal though, again he played quite a bit and was a 5 star recruit and would have played a lot next year. So it makes no sense to me, esp since the new guy is an offensive coach and the Tide will be a good offense and throw the ball, but I have to believe that he see's this as an opportunity to get a big NIL payday. He's from Fla so I'll bet the FSU and Miami NIL people are opening their checkbooks wide as I type.

Tide also lost a top WR to Texas.

Personally I don't get it, both those guys would be starters and they would have a returning and improving QB in Milroe to throw to them. I can't see that they will enhance their careers at their next school. Might get richer though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Jedd Fisch who did a great job at Arizona has left to take the Washington job. So now who will get the Arizona job?

It's a good hire for Washington, as I said he did a great job at Arizona and no doubt will do the same at Washington.

19. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Instant gratification rules now.
    What their career might be later doesn't mean squat compared to what they can get today.
    $$$ is all that matters now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Scott Frost wants the Arizona job.