Rural disconnect

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by RECcane, Dec 28, 2019.

1. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

You'd just have to live here to really appreciate how backwards some parts of this state really are.

3. RECcane

I’m in no way trying to be sarcastic towards Alabama either but was surprised. And I live and work in rural communities where the gas station is 32 miles away. That being said we live well and may not have multiple internet choices but there is a choice though to purchase it and be in tune with the rest of the world...

4. IrishCorey

Oh don't get me wrong Ralph, I'm not kidding either. This is the modern day GOP utopia of Alabama where every day is 1957. If your community doesn't have the resources to do it themselves (Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Florence, Gadsden etc) then they get left behind. People just accept that 'they don't need it' and live life without it. It's disheartening.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

They do know that George Wallace died though, right?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. RECcane

pleasantville, but in that movie it was the expansion of thought and progress....

I love the South, yeah I’m a weird homer who just would love to see us all looking at the same damn thing for a change and let each of us have the information to decide right from wrong (Good Lord I’m preaching now, lol..).

My wife’s ancestry is from the Dothan area, we spent ten days researching her legacy hitting old courthouses and reading the story where her ancestor after the civil war washed in the creek to wash away the years of battle before starting a new life.

I read a lot, I’m not sure if it benefits anyone but myself but there is always much to learn and be humbled by. It’s easy to discover google sending up internet services by balloon in some remote part of India, maybe its time to rediscover our own country first and start there...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RECcane

lmao, ahhh, that’s not a given

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. RECcane

On that note an acquaintance in town here in south central Florida was raised by Wallace, his mom Cornelia Snively married Wallace and he and his siblings were raised in the capital of Alabama. The stories I’ve heard are worth sitting around a campfire for, especially if the drink has a bit of proof to it’s name...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. IrishCorey

Ralph isn't wrong in his response, I am pretty sure that people just like to think he's sleeping.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

In 1964, when Wallace came to speak at ND, I was part of a group of students who planned a silent protest. At a certain point, we all stood up in unison and walked out on his speech. We gathered behind the fieldhouse, where he was speaking. When he came out to get into his limo, I got caught up in the mob, yelling and pounding on the trunk of the limo. As it pulled away, I stepped back, horrified at what I had become for a few minutes, part an angry mob which was doing the opposite of what we had intended. It was a stark lesson for me in mob psychology, which I never forgot. For the rest of my young life, I avoided being caught up in any form of protest, lest in my case history might repeat itself.

• Like Like x 4
  11. RECcane

Cornelia told Parade magazine, "I don't believe George needs a family. He just needs an audience. The family as audience wasn't enough for his ego.

The family I know are definitely good people and the children of Mrs. Snively...

Sid it sounds like a learning moment in life where you realized what am I doing...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RECcane

13. RECcane

Sid may we all have such moments in life to bring us to reality

• Agree Agree x 3