Romney to retire.

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Good for him, I liked him when he was Gov of Massachusetts and when he ran for President, his second bite at the Senate apple he was less popular because he sided with the democrats quite a bit as he disliked Trump quite a bit to say the least.

But this comment is true and I wish the older members of both houses would take this attitude. You hear me Feinstein and Pelosi!!

I'll be surprised if his replacement isn't a conservative Republican.

Mitt Romney announces he won't seek reelection as he calls for 'new generation of leaders' | CNN Politics

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Support his decision and the reasons for his decision but agree with you in your assessment that in this climate he's unlikely to be replaced by a moderate/centrist and the sad political divide will only get worse, imho. That said, it's a long way till 2025 and plenty of politics to be played out. He was a very accomplished man, not a career politician, one of the smartest guys in the room, highly principled and placed country before party. He will be missed, we need more like him. I've been a big fan of his for a long time, even more so after this incident.

How Mitt Romney shut down his firm to search for friend's missing daughter | Daily Mail Online

Many years ago, I got to know Bob Gay before his time with Bain. We worked on several projects together early in my career and I considered him a friend. I can only imagine, as a parent, the terror that he must have experienced over his missing daughter. As an aside, it was his Dad who was Howard Hughes' right hand man during his Las Vegas hermit days

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

That's an interesting story I was unaware of till now. Interesting that some say the young girl wasn't in danger and was just being a rebellious teenager hiding out with her boyfriend. Of course how would her dad know at that time, only knew she wasn't communicating with the family. So given those facts it is still something that Romney shut the company down and took everybody to NYC and the end result was the girl was found and reunited with the family, whether or not she want to be.

I do observe that frequently the Amber alerts for teenage girls frequently turn out to be a girl who has run away to be with somebody, sadly it's some one she met online and is significantly older than she is but still so many of these aren't abductions but runaways. Doesn't help the fear that the parents have when their child is missing, at the time they don't know why, just that she's missing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I always have liked Romney. I wished he could have run for and won the presidency in 2016. IMO he was a far superior alternative to both candidates and would have been an excellent president. Unfortunately, the political winds blew against him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I think many viewed him as the ultimate fence straddler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I agree many did. He went from the party leader and carrying the conservative banner in the 2012 election to being viewed with disdain by just about everybody on the right flank of the party. True he was a moderate conservative and centrist by nature because I believe he was more focused in results than dogma. His private sector success shows he was a results-oriented guy. His experience as a Republican being elected as Governor in Mass forced him to be able to work across the aisle to get things done. He recognized that the system designed by our Founders was intended to encourage compromise and only worked well for we the people to achieve that which is in our national interest when there is compromise. This notion of a public servant being vilified from both flanks for trying to solve problems and achieve results is not productive for anybody but sadly its where we find ourselves....

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Call him what you want, but it's the independent and moderate voters who most often tip the scales one way or the other. The extremes on both sides rarely, if ever, determine the presidential election results.

• Agree Agree x 1