RIP Dr. Frank Ryan

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Stu Ryckman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I was a Browns fan long before I ever got to see a game live and in person. The first Browns game I ever saw was early in the 1968 season. The quarterbacks were Frank Ryan and Roman Gabriel. We lost the game, and Coach Blanton Collier pulled Frank Ryan and started the Bill Nelson era (ending the hugely sucessful Frank Ryan era) the following week. Frank Ryan was an amazing guy, and one of the most under rated quarterbacks in NFL history in the opinion of many. He also had a PhD and taught math at Case Western.

There’s so much about former Browns QB Frank Ryan that people don’t know – Terry Pluto

Frank Ryan, last Browns quarterback to win a title, passes away at age 87 – Terry Pluto

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I remember him. Rest in Peace, Dr. Ryan.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Remember him well, he was a Rice guy, he'd already graduated when I moved to Houston and started following SWC football. Had a great career both as a player and afterwards. RIP

• Like Like x 1
  4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I remember seeing him play.

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I was big fan too. Tho I was fairly young, I remember him well. Those were some great Browns teams

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It's interesting that back in Frank Ryan's day guys actually had careers going on even while playing as the money wasn't anywhere in the same universe as it is now and Pro Football didn't set them up for a good life if they don't blow all their money. Those guys had jobs in the off season, which wasn't like it is today there was an actual off season. NFL was over before January. Frank Ryan got a PhD, Gary Cuzo got a DDS, as did Billy Cannon, Roger Staubach became a successful real estate/finance mogul, and many more guys like them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1