rematch?.....no way....

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

It's very clear why Arizona did not play FSU that year, the Big 10 and the Pac 10 were not part of the BCS at that time and they had a tie to the Rose Bowl, it was automatic.

The SEC team went to the Sugar Bowl and the BCS as it existed at that time had a rotation of the Bowls for picking teams, the Sugar Bowl was in the right place to pick FSU for the rematch. Bobby Bowden of course was not happy and the Gators of course were happy even though if Arizona would beat Ohio State it would not be for the National Championship, but would knock FSU out. That was fine with us if it came down to that, but when Ohio State made that final drive and beat Arizona it then set up the possibility of the Gators winning the NC if we beat FSU.

We beat them 52-20 and the voters picked Florida over Ohio State for the National Championship.

That's the way it went down and of course made us Gators very happy.

In today's BCS we would have been out in the cold. So the Big 10 and Pac 10 did the Gators a big favor by not becoming part of the BCS equation earlier.

That's my story, it's true and I'm sticking to it. 8) 8) 8)

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It was a shame that Neb didn't get into that game. I am sure that the fact that Neb lost it's championship game was the deciding factor. Both were 1 loss teams and both lost late in the season. Classic example of how Conference Championship games can cost a team a great season. I think the PAC10, Big 10, Big East and Notre Dame have an advantage in not having to play an extra game after the regular season. While the Big 12, ACC and SEC have to play the Championship game. FSU last year had no business being in a BCS bowl game, just as Texas had no businness being in a BCS bowl game in 1996.

3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Herr Doctor:

Note the bowl projection:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2627844

Have you changed your opinion about the wisdom of rematches in bowl games? Will you watch if M/ND meet in the Rose Bowl?

Do I see a Michigan preserves vs authentic, quality* Texas chili match up looming for the Holidays?

* I remember you trying to pawn off some off brand stuff prior to the 05 RB until Scott stepped in.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Gawd I hope that doesn't happen!! In fact I'd gladly send you a cornocopia of Texas tasties if you could make sure it doesn't happen. I want to go to the Sugar Bowl and play somebody new.

But I have read a number of senarios where that might be what happens, since the Rose will get the 1st and 2nd at large picks if both OSU and USC end up going to the BCS game. I think that if CAL had not lost to AZ as well as USC they would go for a CAL/Mich game in a heart beat.

I'm starting to favor UM/OSU rematch so we can go play Fla in the Sugar Bowl!!

5. Terry O'Keefe

Question: If the following teams are Conf Champs, what teams will comprise the at - large pool and how many teams are there in the pool. It has a direct effect on Bobda's proposal that UM and ND might meet in the Rose Bowl.

W.Va
    Ga.Tech
    Fla
    Texas
    Ohio State
    USC

There are 10 BCS slots to fill. So 4 more teams are needed: Who is in that pool. No conference can have 3 teams, so Wisconsin is out.

Mich
    ND
    Boise State
    Ark?
    LSU?
    Louisville
    Rutgers
    Oklahoma
    Will a 2nd PAC10 team qualify as an at large?

6. Gator Bill

I see both those guys have Arkansas beating Florida.

Some of those Bowls I don't even recogonize.

7. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

If Boise St beats Nevada and their trigger offense Boise is guaranteed a BCS slot as long as it is top 12. Since they are currently 11, I would think a victory would lock them up for a BCS slot.

Doc, I know you like different types of offenses, what do you think of the Trigger ?

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

LSU will beat Arkansas by 10 plus points.

Then watch the media boys jump off that Hawg ship like rats.

It won't help Florida but that's what I predict...LSU 27 Ark 15

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

It is very improbable that a 2nd PAC 10 team will qualify for a BCS bid. If you removed USC from an analysis of the Pac 10, the strength of their conference probably would fall to Big East levels. Right now, the only legitimate challenger looming in future years just might be Arizona.

10. Terry O'Keefe

AJ I don't really know anything about the Trigger offense. I know that BSU has been an offensive terror in their class, but I have only seen them a few times and not at all this year. I guess Dan Hawkins OCoord got the job didn't he? I would have assumed the Trigger would be some form of the Spread? Or is it a 1 back offense? Don't know.

They are likely to play Texas and our pass defense is pretty bad, if they can throw the ball over the line of scrimage they are going to complete a lot of passes and score some points. :(.

Terry

11. Terry O'Keefe

The Hogs are going to beat LSU, I'm not very impressed with LSU. They couldn't score much on Auburn, Ole Miss, UF...but they are hell on bad teams.

I'd love to see the Hogs and WVa get into it if that were possible. See Steve Slaton and Pat White vs McFadden. That might be good. :)

12. Motorcity Gator

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2670379

SC has played 10 bowl eligible teams and UF will have played 10....

What's the big deal about SC's non-con schedule? 10=10......again for the math challenged....10 = 10 ..!!

13. Terry O'Keefe

If ND beats USC...I want Fla in the NC game!

14. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

umm

<r>as the writer points out:<br/>

<QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

the author does go on to add that by season's end you will play 10 bowl eligible teams. You play in a conference that has, what, 8 bowl tie ins?<br/>
    <br/>
    Between Arkansas, Nebraska and ND where does 7-4 Southern Miss stack up? UCF? Western Carolina? Florida State?</r>

15. Gator Bill

Terry, as to Nebraska. As was mentioned earlier in this topic they lost to Arizona early in the season. However after the Gators lost to FSU we were ranked 4th behind FSU, Arizona and Nebraska and I believe Ohio State was 5th. There was no way for the Gators to have a chance until Nebraska got their 2nd loss in the Big 12 Championship game. That moved us to 3rd and when the Bowl matches came out it was #1 FSU against #3 Florida in the Sugar Bowl game and #2 Arizona against #4 Ohio State in the Rose Bowl game.

Neither game was for the Championship until Ohio State beat Arizona setting up the late Sugar Bowl game as a likely NC game. The Gators won big and out polled Ohio State.

Were the Gators lucky, you bet we were and it's a senario that can't happen again. Although we did see something similar happen when S. Cal didn't make it to the Championship game that a one loss LSU won and then S. Cal won the AP poll which was not bound by the BCS game.

That scenario could play out again this year if S. Cal wins out and doesn't play Ohio State but Michigan does and wins. Then Michigan could win the coaches poll and BCS but S. Cal could again win the AP poll.

16. Motorcity Gator

Again...10 = 10....SC bowl eligible = Fla bowl eligible...

Bowl eligible is bowl eligible...

A conference tie-in means nothing if those conference teams aren't bowl eligible. Also, 2 out of 4 of the Fla non-cons are bowl eligible.

Bottom line is that the PAC 10 has fewer bowl eligible teams because the Pac 10 is.......weak.

17. Motorcity Gator

From CFN:

2. Florida
    If Arkansas beats LSU, Florida will most likely finish the season having played the nation’s toughest schedule. When all is said and done, Florida, if it wins the title, will have beaten Southern Miss (who’s a near lock to play for the Conference USA title), Tennessee, a bowl-bound, but shaky, Kentucky, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, bowl-bound South Carolina, bowl-bound Florida State, and Arkansas. Michigan’s good wins will have been over Central Michigan (who’s playing for the MAC title), Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Penn State, and bowl bound, but shaky Minnesota and Iowa teams. Florida will have earned its trip to the plate if it wins out and USC loses. You want to tell the SEC fans that their champion doesn't deserve to be in after what happened in 2004?

18. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:twisted:
    The SEC champion doesn't deserve it this year. No team qualified.

19. Motorcity Gator

Then..if ND beats SC then all you can justify Jo'Co is a rematch between OSU and Mi. I would assume.

The first person to tell me ND should jump Michigan under any circumstances will make me laugh hysterically. :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

i

<t>know this is tough for you math challenged SEC fans, (with the obvious exception of Bill the Gator math guru) there are fewer bowl ties in the Pac10 because there are fewer teams.<br/>
    <br/>
    if, and this is a big if, you can wrap your head around that consider that 9 of 12 SEC teams have 6 wins (isn't 6 wins the marker for bowl eligibility this year??) that's what? 75% of all the teams in the SEC are eligible. 8 of the 10 teams in the Pac10 have reached that same 'milestone.' that would be what?? 80% of the conference.</t>