rematch?.....no way....

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

How about a neutral party interjecting something here???

Pro's for Michigan:
    Lost on the road by small margin to the #1 team
    Dominant wins against top notch teams
    Precedent set in 1996

Cons against Michigan:
    Lost late in the year
    Already lost to the team they would play against

Until we have a playoff system, there will always be those that feel they got the short end of the stick. With a playoff system, we would not have exciting games like the OSU/UM game we witnessed this past week. OSU and UM would have played their walk on players to save their stars for the playoffs. Choose your poison.

What is my point? You guys are stressing over opinions that differ from one person to another based upon their ties to a specific university. Stress about the problems you CAN affect... worry not about the ones you can't.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you read some of my other meaningless posts you wouldn't have to ask. Perhaps if it's more than one line it gets too complicated. I wrote that the situation is bad no matter what happens. Under the present rules, the #1 team is supposed to play the #2 team in the NC game. If that results in a rematch then it has to be a rematch. I don't think it's fair to OSU that they have to play a rematch but if we're going to go by the rules than so be it.
    Of course voters in the polls can screw with them any way that they want and vote for teams in such a way as to avoid a rematch even if they really believe that Mich is still #2. I'm sorry that I said that, I'm sure someone out there will start ranting about conspiracies and kool aid.

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

gipper, I just posted every comment you made in this topic. If you made the above comment somewhere else I didn't see it. However I would have to agree with most of what you said above.

But it sure didn't come out in this topic when you decided to entertain us with your one line insults of the Gators.

And as far as the matcup for the BCS Championship, if USC goes the rest of the way I think they are more deserving.

Gator Bill

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

BT....you were a damned good number two...very deserving! (9-13)
    :lol: :twisted:

And Gipper......

"Palm doesn’t believe Notre Dame (10-1) can climb past Michigan because the Wolverines pounded the Irish 47-21 in September."

Ouch!

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

MCG
    I don't think being in the NC is the best thing for ND. I don't think that we should go over Michigan. I think our defense is just not up to keeping us in a game with OSU (or Mich. for that matter.)
    I'd like to see us play in a BCS bowl against an opponent we can matchup with and be competitive. Heaven knows we've lost enough bowl games in a row.
    I know many ND fans would like the chance at the ND game because anything can happen but M and maybe SC if they win this weekend deserve to go before the Irish.
    Michigan should go before ND because they were the better team. They beat us convincingly (I still can't figure out how FSU got the NC in '93 when ND beat them but then if ever there should have been a rematch...)

6. Gator Bill

At this point gipper I feel the same way about my Gators. Win out, win the SEC and most likely we go to the Sugar Bowl and play........Notre Dame!

If so it should be a good game.

Gator Bill

7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D
    It would be an interesting game indeed. I don't know a single Notre Dame fan who thinks that Florida could beat us and the sample here suggests that Florida fans feel the same way about us. We're also just as certain that Florida won't be there, because Arkansas is going to beat them anyway; just as Florida fans are certain that the Irish will lose to USC.

Something has to give here...

8. Motorcity Gator

Gipper if Michigan lost to BC this week and ND beat SC then the Irish could go to the NC.

In 1993 FSU beat Fla at the end of the year...(I was there) and of course BC beat ND.

Jo'Co I think ND could lose to SC and still be in the Sugar Bowl

ND-Fla would be a great match-up I think and would get great ratings and hype with the Meyer-Weiss connection.

9. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

No doubt it was your non-conference schedule that sealed the deal.....the system that year was a complete train wreck. Your Gators would have wanted no part of a championship game with those Buckeyes.

10. Gator Bill

JO'Co, from what I understand the Sugar Bowl game is in Notre Dame's future win or lose to USC.

However you are right about my poor Gators we have to beat Arkansas and I do think we will be the underdog.

Hey Buckeye Terry, you are no doubt right that OSU would have clobbered my poor Gators after the 96 season, but I kind of think they would have shown up anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gator Bill

11. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've decided that the best sacrafice ...er matchup...with the Buckeyes would be the Gators. That would settle things for 1996 and 2006!!

12. BuckeyeT

TOK,

Let's play! Nothing wrong with 2 for the price of 1!

I'm not sure I remember why ASU and FSU didn't play for the title in 1996, but the Gators certainly got a gimme that year and ASU got hosed big time!

13. Motorcity Gator

As I said...FSU was unbeaten in 1996 and was UF's only loss and was ranked #1 after the win. BT....do you think other teams in contention had better non-con games that year?

AZSt was close with a home game vs. eventual 2 loss Nebraska.

OSU did play a 3 loss ND.....but that was tougher than 11-0 FSU at Doak?

Try to remember FSU's record vs. Ohio State for moment although I am quite sure you would rather conveniently forget that.

14. BuckeyeT

MCG,

so do I hear you saying that a one loss Gator team had more of claim to a rematch with an undefeated FSU team that had already beaten you than did an undefeated Arizona State team????? An undefeated ASU team that had shut out the defending National Champion Huskers? Those same Huskers that had absolutely humiliated you in the year prior title game???? :roll: That's ridiculous! You can't honestly believe that????!!!! Do you ever read what you post? That's beyond absurd!
    Hmmmmm......is that a trick question? Do you think everybody scheduled a Division II school?

15. Terry O'Keefe

BuckeyeT. I think in '1996 the West Coast Slack Ten, and the Midwest Slack Ten were not members of the Bowl Coalition. Still claiming that Rose Bowl Championship was the only worthy goal.

Team that really should have played FSU that year was Nebraska, but unfortuneately for them the Longhorns inspite of John Mackovic picked the B12 Champ game to put it all together after sucking most of the year and knocked them off. I forget how the rules were back then and why the Sugar decided on UF instead of Nebraska. I guess because Fla won the SEC champ game after the FSU loss.

16. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Terry I checked and found that none of the main contenders played a AA school that year.

Florida defeated a 4-7 Ga Southern team 62-14, that year.

17. Terry O'Keefe

AJNJ....I'm pretty sure that neither ASU or Ohio State could have played in the Sugar Bowl due to not being members of the Bowl Coalition.

18. Motorcity Gator

"I'm not sure I remember why ASU and FSU didn't play for the title in 1996, but the Gators certainly got a gimme that year and ASU got hosed big time!"

Since you obviously don't remember BT....think ROSE BOWL tie-in.

The RB did not participate in the bowl alliance.

If they did the UF-FSU rematch never would have occurred.
    That said the NC was decided by the polls and UF was the hands down #1 as voted by the pollsters after the bowls. For the first 60 years of NCAA CFB champions that is how it was decided.

19. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Hey I remember predicting that Texas would win because Nebraska didn't see a mobile QB like Brown who could throw and wouldn't be able to handle him.

Yep, I remember you didn't think they had a chance.. JB and all the Husker fans and Curt thought I was under the influence. :lol:

Yep, the old prodigy days of dial up.

Yep and I called their bowl loss to PSU too !!

:lol:

20. Terry O'Keefe

That Texas team was loaded with talent. Both Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams at RB, can you believe that? But Mackovic was a terrible coach and just didn't know what to do with all that talent. He was a wine and cheese type of guy and he never fit in Beer and BBQ Texas.