Recruiting

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jan 11, 2009.

1. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

Speaking of runningbacks....

Rumors are swirling that Tennessee will announce today that Eddie Gran will join the Vols' staff as RB coach. Gran coached such SEC RB studs as Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Deuce McAlister, and Kenny Irons in the past. He is another tremendous recruiter and he should be another great addition to the Tenn. staff.

In a related matter....

Many of the Tennessee boards are rampant with posters decrying the lack of African American assistants on the staff that Kiffin & Co. are assembling. I think it's evident that Kiffin is trying to assemble the staff based upon hiring the best qualified but I can see the concern as well. If Stan Drayton is not retained (the hiring of Gran probably signals he won't be) then there isn't a single AA coach on the staff. Many feel that this will be used against Tenn. in recruiting. I know he attempted to sign Rodney Garner away from Georgia but that plan failed. What do you guys think about the recruiting implications of having a staff void of African American coaches?

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I think you have a valid concern about it being used against the Vols in recruiting.....in a big...big way.

That may be wrong to think that way and for it to be turned against UT that way.....but I think it's accurate.

3. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

I was sorta surpised that UT dodged the issue of an African-American as headcoach. Didn't make sense that Auburn caught so much flak .... but a "southern" school just 300 miles away hired a lily-white guy and nothing was said. Did the UT AD even interview an African-American candidate?

I think it will become a problem ... considering Kiffen hired his white father and white brother-in-law .... instead of an equally or more qualified African-American. I suspect there will be some negative recruiting re the racial composition of the UT staff. Not saying that is "right" ... but it will happen.

Hey ... BTW .... Kiffen hiring his family hasn't hellped iwth regard to some of the stereotypes of East Tennessee familial relationships!! Just pray that Monte K still has all of his teeth!! :wink:

4. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

I'm quite certain that Mike Hamilton did interview Turner Gill. I think the issue with Auburn was that they would hire a white guy who, at least on the surface, seemed so unqualified over Gill. Tennessee got into the fray a little early and hired a guy many considered to be among the best available. Of course, there were some concerns about Kiffin but I think it is clear that Hamilton was sold on the plan that Kiffin had in assembling his coaching staff. With Chizik, the Tigers hired a guy who had had virtually no success at Iowa State over a guy many see as a bright, young up and coming coach.

As far as the racial stuff goes, I think Kiffin will probably fill out his staff with a couple of well qualified African American assistants. I know James Lofton is currently unemployed after being fired by the Raiders and Tennessee needs a WR coach. We'll see how it plays out...

5. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

6. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

He recruited Mobile. Wonder how Julio J feels?

If only Julio had taken the UF scholly, he'd have an SEC and MNC ring.

7. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

These are just rumors but word is that Tenn. will hire Frank Wilson to coach WRs and Willie Garza to coach the secondary. Once again, these are just rumors and we'll have to see how it plays out. Garza, I know, has some serious baggage from a traffic accident that occurred a couple of years ago. Both guys though (esp. Wilson) are considered great recruiters. Wilson, in the Gulf Coast area, and Garza, in Texas. Considering Wilson recently took a job with Miss. St., I'm not sure how accurate these reports are but they seem to be somewhat substantiated.

8. Motorcity Gator

And would have been the featured WR in a Tebow led offense next year.....could have been a phenomenal match.

9. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

How many black coaches have been interviewed for the Florida HC position ever?

11. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

None ... and the UF should be challenged over that issue. In fact, given what Urban Meyer says about Charlie Strong, one wonders why Strong wasn't considered for the HC when Zook was fired.

But .... don't worry Corey ... as soon as Meyer resigns from UF to take the ND job, I'm sure Foley will consider African-American candidates for the job.

12. Motorcity Gator

I think the time for a black head coach to be interviewed was when Spurrier left and the major candidates like Stoops and Shanahan didn't pan out.

When Zook was fired I think the plan all along was Meyer...and who could fault Foley for that move?

13. IrishCorey

Well you two seemed to be taking pleasure prodding the Tennessee folks here about the perceived lack of pursuit of an african-american candidate. I thought it was of note that you have hired 2 head coaches since 2002 and didn't interview one.

Interestingly enough, Charlie Strong was your HC for one game...but was replaced by Urban Meyer.

14. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

IC

You have one profoundly fubar (subjective) view of what I've stated.

I just wondered why AU caught so much grief in 2008 when UT did not.

You need to work on you Gator envy and hate, it's just not healthy!!!!

8)

15. Motorcity Gator

Taking pleasure? I just matter of factly answered Aquila's question.
    Yes...I do think an all-white staff in today's southern football environment will be a tough sell to some black athletes and yes many teams would use that as a recruiting tool if given the chance.

On your comment about Strong you must be at work shooting from the hip.....Meyer was already hired when Strong coached the team for the bowl game....hired 3 weeks before.

16. IrishCorey

sweet jesus, why must it all be about Gator envy and hate? you really do believe the world revolves around you...

If you followed the process at all, which I am assuming you didn't since you weren't aware of the AA interview situation, the coaching searches at Auburn and Tennessee were handled entirely different. At least that is the public perception of them... UT had their short list of candidates that they went over, Auburn seemed to be scrambling for a replacement. Any time you don't have a plan, or at least appear to have a plan, you leave yourself vulnerable to those with an agenda..The one thing that Auburn appears to be good at, aside from beating Florida, is appearing to be a clusterf*ck on wheels..

That is most likely why you saw a fuss made about Auburn rather than UT. Auburn was low hanging fruit... Toss in the "Alabama race card" factor and you got yourself a self-written story..

17. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Here's one thing I don't quite understand about colleges being slow to hire black head coaches in football. Colleges are supposed to be the bastion of liberal thinkers, the big tent people, so why have they been so slow in this area?

18. IrishCorey

It is one thing to be a loud mouthed champion of civil rights, it is another thing when the black man/woman comes home with your son/daughter.

There are those who talk it, and those who walk it. Every now and then in life, we get to see who really believes what..

19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Winning has no skin color. Good programs and schools will attract talent regardless of who is the coach.

Would you rather play for Urban Meyer and be on TV all the time in big games or play for Ty Willingham or Sylvester Croom, get your ass kicked every week but feel socially complete?

20. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

When NEBRASKA gets back into the NC picture...and I do mean when...may GOD have mercy on your eyes and ears.

BECAUSE THERE IS NO BRAGGIN' ON THE SKYBOX LIKE CORNHUSKER BRAGGIN'.

What is understood, never needs to be discussed.

For those that saw the Gator Bowl know what I mean. For those that didn't, just send me your address. :wink: