Post election events

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by gipper, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well at least the initial program is Privately funded. They are doing 600 families and it's 500$ a month. I wonder if it's taxable and they say it's no strings attached. I'm sure those families will be glad to get the money, but I'm not very sure that it's going to make a big impact on their situation.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Why worry if it's taxable. These families aren't in tax paying brackets. The money funding the project is most likely from tax deductible contributions.

3. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

My experience is this as I have worked fantastic Mexican families for years and to be honest kinda love them..... My most prized crew leader said we marry in Mexico and claim being single here to get the utmost benefits that the US provides. Free apartment, most food is paid for but he works his tail off. Meanwhile 32 year old American foreman with a 6 year old, wife is a nurse at the lower end would love more children but is spending $138 a week on child care. He has the toys that most millennial folks do, boat, house mortgage at $1,300 month.

Which makes America great, the guy who works for every penny and prays he can afford another child or the guy who crossed the border, takes advantage of the free money and has his children at no cost?

Forgot to mention my 32 year old foreman works 50-60 hours a week, matter of fact he’s coming in at 3:30 am tomorrow so he works his tail off as well

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

What happened to due process?

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I don't know why I threw in the bit about whether it is taxable. Since it is private money they can do what they want with it, and as you said it's likely from tax deductible contributions.

This doesn't really bother me though since it is private money and they never really said that Whites pissed away their privilege. They did justify their formula by comparing some indexes that show a difference in wealth and income between whites and the group they are targeting. I have no problem with that to tell you the truth. I'd have a problem if it were public money and they had a color/race factor in determining if you qualified. Although we have a number of public outreaches that are based on race/color. Take the Indian Health Service for an example, whites need not apply. Or there are a number of initiatives to help "black" owned businesses to get govt contracts.

This whole basic income supplement is an idea that is being contemplated around the world. But this particular one is a drop in the bucket and I doubt it really changes the circumstances of those families by very much or raises them up in away that allows them to get themselves into a better place with regard to income.

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Well the outrage over Georgia's voting bell is growing. Corporations are getting into the mix especially Coke and Delta. Here's a quote from the CEO of Delta
    “The entire rationale for this bill was based on a lie: that there was widespread voter fraud in Georgia in the 2020 elections. This is simply not true,” Bastian said. “Unfortunately, that excuse is being used in states across the nation that are attempting to pass similar legislation to restrict voting rights.”
    If that's true then the entire rationale for HR 1 which seeks to change voting rules in many states must be premised on the fact that even though the final totals show that the Democrats won the national election by 7 million votes, the rules have to be changed because they can't win an honest election without changing them. If they are the majority party why are they looking for new voters in felons, 16 yr. olds and illegals?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

And while I'm at it, can someone explain to me why our country spends millions of dollars manning customs and immigration facilities in places such as Boston, NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle etc. Why do we have checkpoints in crossings from Canada? What purpose does it serve when anyone can enter our country through the southern border? Maybe we want to limit the amount of Asians, Europeans and Canadians entering this country when it's "come on in" for anyone living south of the border.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Re: Check points in Canada

Its gotta be a hockey thing....or the price of Moosehead.