Playoffs and the Bowls.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Right. Scheduling could be an issue.

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Tennessee has dropped out of the Liberty Bowl due to Covid cases. Army selected as the replacement to play West Virginia.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

So here's this scenario, for the future. A 2 loss team...(say...ranked 12th) soundly beats an undefeated team (say ranked 2nd)...your still putting it in the hands of the powers that be. Dont have a league championship if you dont reward the winner. I'll be the first to say NU had no business meeting the crimicanes for the title in 2001.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

The College Football Playoff is willing to postpone most of its New Year's Six bowl games, including its two semifinal games and the national championship, if one or both teams can't participate because of COVID-19 issues, CFP executive director Bill Hancock told ESPN on Monday evening.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

I'll say that Texas had no business playing in the Fiesta Bowl after upsetting Neb in 1996 B12 Championship game. Notre Dame had no business playing Colorado in the 1994 Fiesta Bowl either. We should have a system that rewards good seasons rather than be driven by pre-arranged contracts.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Winning the conference championship does not necessarily mean you are one of the four best teams in the country either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Sorry, I didn't say 4 best teams. I was using Sid's 8 team scenario. In my scenario I did say "soundly" beat a previously undefeated #2 team. You'd have to give that a serious eye test, along with the fact it's the league championship.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

AJ, with 8 teams your scenario would call for both teams probably being in the playoffs. With four teams, I have been opposed to a team with 2 losses being included, otherwise the regular season loses meaning.

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

From Cleveland sports writer;

"Bulletin board material? What Swinney gave the Buckeyes on Monday is bulletin board, wallpaper, voicemail, T-shirt, social media, let it sink into your soul material."

:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Latest Straw poll on the Heisman. Should Mac Jones win he'll be the first Alabama QB to win the Heisman. The 2 previous Alabama players to win were both running backs. Derrick Henry and Mark Ingram.

[​IMG]

11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Re: 2 losses = loses meaning

Then so does conf championship....right? Not being argumentative btw.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

AJ, I'm not being argumentative either but I think we have to balance the two sides of the coin. If we can get the 8 team field then I would not oppose a 2 loss team getting in. I guess we will have to bend the best 8 goal sometimes.

13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm ready for an 8 team playoff. However not necessarily for all the champions to be included. Still like the idea of trying to get the eight best teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I'm in on the 8 team playoff and I'd be fine with the Power 5 Champions given autobid as long as they were in lets say at least the top 12. It'd be uncommon for for that not to be the case, but this year we have Oregon ranked #25 and the Pac12 Champion so they'd forfeit their autobid. In that case then there would be 4 autobids and 4 at large. And if they also want to include the highest ranked G5 team as long as they are again at least in the top 12.

15. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Sounds like a good approach to me Terry.

16. Terry O'Keefe

BYU got off to a good start vs UCF 21 points, UCF finally got on the board and it's 28-7 now 7 min left in the 1st half

17. Terry O'Keefe

Gators and OU should be a very good game, maybe one of those 54-53 games with OU offense being an explosive offense and same for the Gators. But out of the gate the Gators are leading in Bulletin Board material!!

Florida linebacker James Houston IV on Tuesday took a shot at Oklahoma ahead of their meeting in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic on Dec. 30.

Houston, a redshirt junior, was asked about playing in Big 12 territory at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. He said he wasn't worried about Oklahoma having a form of home-field advantage.

"Oklahoma is a good matchup, but they're not on our level," he said. "They're not the SEC. They're not the Florida Gators. So we should put on a good show."

18. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

19. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

That's a lot of talk for a guy who's lost his best offensive weapon, and could lose more.

20. Terry O'Keefe

I just saw that Alabama signed a top 50 (ESPN) RB from Texas. It adds to an already outstanding class that the Tide have brought in this year. They have the following

* 7 in the top 50
    * 12 in the top 100
    * 20 in the top 300

Ohio State has 17 in the top 300.

Clemson has 16 in the top 300

ND has 9. Alabama has more in the Top 100 than we do in the Top 300!

Those numbers are insane. A ND writer noted it in an article today, ND is moving up, but the peak seems to be getting further away. It just places so much pressure on ND to be that much better than everyone else at identifying potential and developing players.

We're a top 10 program but right now there is the top 3 and then another tier below that, which includes
    Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, LSU, maybe Texas A&M , maybe Notre Dame right now. The Irish have a Top 10 class right now, but we've been hovering aroun 10-15 mostly. That puts tremendous pressure on hitting on a number of players who develop to go along with the high 4 stars you might get. We've kept up when it comes to the OL and DL but it's the skill players esp the WR's that we don't have to compete with the top 3.

QB's it's a bit of a crap shoot, as the top 5 QB's this year, only Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence were highly recruited 5 stars, Kyle Trask and Mac Jones and Zach Wilson (BYU) were not, Kellen Mond was highly recruited but didn't turn to be in that class, and Ian Book was not highly recruited either and has had a good career but didn't make that step up to what Trask and Jones have done.

• Agree Agree x 2