Players leaving early

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

The charges were eventually dropped but the incident compounded things for him with Meyer and then serious academic issues were about to get him apparently:

"Newton was arrested and charged with possession of a stolen laptop in November 2008. The charges were dropped after Newton completed a pre-trial intervention program and community service. Fox Sports later reported Newton was facing possible expulsion for academic improprieties when he transferred to Blinn College in 2009. Newton decided to transfer, but there's almost no question he was out of chances at Florida."
    In any event Newton probably wasn't too keen on remaining at Florida with Tim Tebow in front of him until his senior year.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yes Grier I guess was a playing time issue, but it wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't decided to take those supplements without first getting approval from the Gator training staff.

And Cam, sure he was behind Tebow, but he was gone due to the other issues, so while it's fair to speculate that he wouldn't have wanted to wait till Tebow graduated, but by leaving and then going to JC, and then back to Auburn he didn't get a chance to start again till the 2010 season when Tebow would have been gone at UF anyway.

Still doesn't change the fact that 1 NFL QB in Cam and 1 future NFL QB in Grier didn't get to finish their careers at UF, mostly due to off the field issues. Remind me who did the Gators have that Grier wouldn't have beaten out with one hand tied behind his back if he'd taken up McElwain on his challenge? In the end though it turned out to be the best move for Grier to go to WVa where the offense was always cooking with gas and he could really develop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

there were also accusations (3 I think) of academic cheating against Cam Newton at Florida.

4. Motorcity Gator

"Remind me who did the Gators have that Grier wouldn't have beaten out with one hand tied behind his back if he'd taken up McElwain on his challenge?"

Exactly! It's a big reason that McElwain's hubris if you will did him in at UF. ( I could coach my dog to play QB he said )

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Sorry but there is not way McElwain should have promised the starting job to Grier. He would likely have won it again but promise, no way.

6. Motorcity Gator

Bill I guess it depends on how you view Grier's mistake.

And I believe it was just that.... a simple slip up where he didn't make double sure that supplement he was taking was approved vs. a souped up jock shooting up on known hardcore steroids.

For that the season went down the toilet for UF and McElwain was on his way out the door and Grier was out of a starting Qb job at a school that has produced three Heisman winning Qbs.

McElwain and Gator Nation paid the harshest punishment for Grier's simple mistake.... not Grier himself.

7. Terry O'Keefe

While we can't ever really know, but I do believe in the vast majority of these cases it's not just an athlete picking up a Multivitamin at GNC that is contaminated with something. I speculate that it's an athlete being told this supplement/pill is terrific and will do A,B,and C and make you bigger stronger faster and recover quicker from injury. I think that they don't want to go to their trainer and ask about it, and I think they know it's not on the list and I think they are probably told it's not going to trigger any drug screening tests. They want it and don't want to ask about it because then they might find out that it's not an approved. When they are caught they can then claim it was a silly mistake, they should have asked and that they would never put anything illegal in their bodies.

I don't believe the Clemson players just accidentally came in contact with that substance that triggered their failing their drug tests either. I'd also bet that if they drug tested the whole Clemson squad that they'd come up with more positive tests. I don't think Dabo runs a rouge program, but these kids when one of them finds something he thinks is helping him physically you know he tells his buddies and they all start taking it as well, thinking they can't get caught because they are taking a steroid.

8. Motorcity Gator

That's a good analysis Terry except without really knowing what and how it happened with Grier it's just speculation what he knew.

The price paid by all as I mentioned though is pretty stiff for the infraction especially if it was just a dumb mistake.

9. Gator Bill

Sorry but I am not buying. First just how many players are suspended for a year for a simple mistake?

Second as I recall his father was involved and highly suspect as I recall.

Third I just don't think you guarantee a guy, especially your QB a job a year from now.

Fourth regardless I am glad Mac is gone and he well may not have been if we hadn't lost Grier, as Mullen us better by a country mile.

Back to point one, point out another player out for a year for a simple mistake.

Having said all that I wish Grier the best at the next level.

10. Motorcity Gator

"Back to point one, point out another player out for a year for a simple mistake."

Never proved that it wasn't just a simple mistake. Could have just been careless.

Agreed though real glad Mullen is the coach now....

11. Gator Bill

I will still hang my hat on the one year suspension being way beyond what other players have gotten and guaranteeing him the job when he returned would have not been wise. Who knows what could happen in a year.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Wisc QB Alex Hornibrook has entered the Portal and will leave. He'll be a grad transfer. Sort of surprising, he had an excellent record as a starter for Wisc over 3 years. He missed the last 5 games of the season due to concussion issues.

13. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

hrmm that is a curious one.

14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

A&M grad transfer Nick Starkel has settled on Arkansas.
    Not a bad choice I suppose, but I thought they already had another QB in the fold...
    At any rate I wish Nick good luck 11 times next year, and one really bad day.
    :D

15. Terry O'Keefe

You're right Scott, last month Ben Hicks the SMU QB announced he was doing the Grad transfer thing to Arkansas. In fact he's practicing with the Hogs. So this make no sense to me for Starkel.

Ben Hicks showing leadership, arm talent on first day of spring

16. Terry O'Keefe

OK I see that Starkel has 2 years of eligibility left while Hicks only has 1.

Also I have to wonder how this Transfer Portal is working. Brian Kelly was asked about it in his Press Conference to open Spring Drills. He said there are over 1500 names in the portal. That's a lot of kids. I wonder how many who have put their names in the portal have received offers for scholarships at a new school? If they don't get an offer, what do they do. Do they go through Spring Drills with their old team? If they do how much time and effort will the coaching staff be willing to expend on a kid who is looking to move on from the program. It seems like for some of these kids it's going to be between a rock and a hard place. If they get no offers can they stay with the old school?

17. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Good question Terry, maybe this is the Pandora's box the kids should have thought about?
    You put your name out there... does your old school have any obligation to renew your scholarship?
    I don't see why they would...

18. Terry O'Keefe

Well Tate Martell received a hardship waiver from the NCAA and is a full go for the Hurricanes and is participating in Spring Drills. I have no idea what hardship Martell experienced to deserve a waiver other than he lost his job the moment Justin Fields transferred to Ohio State. Fields at least had a thread of hardship since he'd been called a racial slur from the stands that he didn't hear at the time but found out about it later. He reportedly claimed he didn't feel safe anymore at UGA. Of course his sister is still safe at UGA. I just don't know what the rules are anymore regarding transfers.

I do think they were way too much in favor of the school, and kids who wanted to transfer had to go through 3rd parties to explore options, as coaching staffs were prevented by NCAA rules from talking to them. The portal I think is a good idea and lots of kids took advantage of it, they can above board talk to other programs and assess their options. But immediate eligibility is a potential problem as we go forward, player free agency.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ding,ding, ding!

20. Terry O'Keefe

Martell's lawyer wouldn't go into specifics but said a key factor in the approval was the input from Ohio State.