Players leaving early

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Almost seems like coaches will be recruiting transfers instead of high school QB's...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Fields is cleared by NCAA to play in 2019 at OSU.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Stu, I am delighted that Fields is going to be available for the coming season. However, fans are indicating he will match Haskin's stats, which is absolutely ridiculous! I doubt that Dwayne could even duplicate those stats again?:(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'm confused. I thought transferring without sitting out one year.was based on hardship. Or if you had enough credits to graduate and wanted to move on. Fields transferred because he couldn't beat out the guy in front of him. I guess anything goes now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I wonder if trading player (scholarships) Is next?

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I do think we are entering a new territory with regards to player movement. I do think that in the past things have been at times unfair to the player, it might be that things are going to swing the other way now. Esp for players who feel their future is in the NFL

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, you may be right. It will probably mostly just be backups transferring now. We'll see how it goes. As it is now, the school pursues the player and promises a scholarship and a stage to demonstrate their talent. The player choses (if he has multiple offers) which school to go to. Unlike the draft, it is the player's choice. If it turns into a free for all transfer fest, then it will change the whole picture for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"Esp for players who feel their future is in the NFL"

This is what drives most of the high profile transfers. A future in the NFL means millions... and if a player feels like he will not have the opportunity to showcase his NFL type talent then it's easy to see why he feels compelled to go elsewhere where he can do that. It's why Will Grier left Florida... because Jim McElwain was too coy about whether or not he would regain that opportunity at Florida after his suspension.... which itself was already cutting into that opportunity timewise.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

MCG, hence the belief that it will be mostly backups for now statement.

10. Motorcity Gator

KP,
    As in the case of Grier and a lot of these "back-ups" who are transferring many of them are spot on with regard to their assessment of their chances to play in the NFL. I don't think you will see too many unproven 3 star Qbs sitting on the bench who are chomping at the bit to transfer.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Esp QB backups. If you can't play on Saturday your chances of playing on Sunday are not good. Other skill positions have much better opportunity to get on the field. Virtually nobody plays a RB 30 + carries a game routinely. Most teams rotate guys and even if the team runs it 40 times in a game it's mostly split between at least 2 guys and maybe 3. Same for WR's. DL's rotate, OL's don't rotate, DB's and LB's don't rotate that much either.

12. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know Texas just lost Shane Buechele to SMU and he's a good kid who has not shot at the NFL unlikely to even be a UDFA, we also lost a 3rd string kid to Utah I think, baring major jump in his development he's not NFL quality either. I think in both cases they just want to play and not sit on the bench like they were walk on's. Kelly Bryant and Brandon Wimbush probably mistakenly believe that they have NFL possibilities and they don't want to sit another year behind the guys who beat them out. I can see wanting to play, but I don't think either of those guys will get a sniff as QBs. I'm skeptical of Jalen Hurts as well, but we'll see what Lincoln Riley can do with him in that Oklahoma offense.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Motorcity Gator

Good point Terry about the Qb position being consumed playing time wise by the starter.
    If the main guy stays healthy you hardly ever get to see the 2nd guy up run with the ones.

From ESPN:
    Is the era of CFB free agency upon us?

"A lot of the time, people transfer because they can't play at the school that they're at," Johnson said. "I feel like people should be playing because you only have so many years to show what you got before trying to fulfill your dream in the NFL. I feel like guys should play regardless. Sitting out a year is tough on anybody."

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If Fields had stayed at Georgia he would probably have had to wait one year and then he would know the system and step in and be the star. Now if you get beat out by a freshman, I guess you have nothing to lose.

15. Terry O'Keefe

From the article Dave linked...

I think sitting out is fair for the vast majority of transfers who just want to go someplace else and play whether the reason is that they don't like the current school, the current coach, how far they are from home, etc. I don't really think a change in coaches should be a valid reason, as once that gets established then anytime your position coach leaves, or your HC if fired or takes a better job the whole roster then becomes eligible for a transfer and play right away. Even highly paid NFL players don't have that much freedom. Sure you can say they are at least paid while the kids only get a free education/foom and board as well as whatever the school pays on the Cost of attending stipend.

I'm not even sure I'm for kids getting a release to play because their school gets a bowl ban for some rules violation.

I'm trying to think of reasons why a kid should get a pass. Maybe if he's moving back home because of a family situation that he needs to be around to help with in some way.

I know a lot of people gripe that coaches get to move at the drop of a hat and that it's not fair that the kids have this restriction. But as most here agree, free agency in college football is not a good thing for anybody. I'd say that they don't have it in High School, but that's not really true. At least in Texas. We have in the last 20 years grown in the number and quality of private school programs. Kids can move from public to private and play right away. There are rules that allow kids to change public schools and play, they have become more liberal in recent years. But still not easy to transfer and play right away.

16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I agree with this and think they might allow one transfer with no wait.

17. Motorcity Gator

The Gators over the past few years have experienced the transfer of more QB talent than the program could endure.... beginning with this guy:
    Cam Newton remains big what-if for Gators

Interesting photo of Cam Newton in a Gator uniform on the field.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Certainly Cam and Will Grier are 2 big time Gator transfers, but both left because of off the field issues rather than what we are seeing right now, QB's leaving because they are not the starter. Nobody wants to be a backup and wait their turn, sure most will be ok with a redshirt year as a frosh behind an established starter...but after that they want to be the starter or at the very least have a legit shot at being the starter as RS Frosh. Not many will wait 2 years behind somebody and when was the last time a guy waited till his Jr year to be the starter. Certainly not among the 4 and 5 star QB's coming out of HS.

19. Motorcity Gator

Well Cam Newton came to UF in 2007... the year Tebow won the Heisman and was a sophomore.
    I think Cam wanted to leave and that was a big reason.

Grier wanted a promise of being the starter upon returning from suspension and McElwain stupidly would not give that promise to him.

Sounds like playing time issues to me.

20. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Cam got the boot for stealing laptops, did he not? Or are we re-writing that bit of history?

• Like Like x 1