PLAY BALL!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Apr 1, 2021.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I hope not. That means prices inside the park go up. Last year I ordered 2 large beers, and they made me fill out credit application first.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Did I just hear the DH is coming to the NL?....you know what that means!....ALBERT!...ALBERT!

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

When the Astros were in the NL I didn't like the DH rule...now I do and I hope they do make it universal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I always have felt the DH should be universal. There's a case to be made either way: Keeping P in the batting lineup forces certain strategical decisions in close games. Having a DH allows the team to be 100% offense 100% of the time when batting and make P decisions based only on how he's pitching, not when his place in the batting order comes up. I opt for the latter.

I'll say what we all are thinking. This is one of many topics where we miss JO'Co's input. Corey? Are you out there? I (and we, I presume) would like to know what your dad thought on this topic and what you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

There is no arguing that the DH has eliminated much of the strategy that made baseball a real thinking game. It has also re-structured the composition of teams as they go for bigger bullpens in lieu of position players and quality pitching starts are now 5 innings. Another unintentional by product is the disappearance of the stolen base, the sacrifice bunt and the hit and run as no one wants to risk losing the thrill of a 480' HR with an exit velocity of Mach 2 with less than two runners on board. It was a rule change invented to pump up the score and keep old guys in the game. I would go back to the old ways in a heartbeat.

6. Terry O'Keefe

JUPITER, Fla. -- Major League Baseball will begin canceling regular-season games if the league and the MLBPA can't come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement by Monday, a league spokesperson said Wednesday.

The games would not be made up and players would not be paid full-season salaries, the spokesperson said.

"A deadline is a deadline," the spokesperson said. "Missed games are missed games. Salary will not be paid for those games."

7. Terry O'Keefe

Well they finally got it done. Camps will open soon the season is expected to be 162 games.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

National League has the DH now. MLB draft is now 20 rounds instead of 40. 12 teams in the post season, 3 division winners and 3 wild cards. Top 2 Div winners get bye, 3rd Div winner gets home series against the lowest seed. Wildcard round will be best of 3 series. Minor leaguers get a raise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The NL DH will be controversial among many old-schoolers. I'm an old-schooler, and I'm glad to see it. I have a brother who's an old-schooler, and he doesn't like it.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Just like the NFL, do anything to help offense.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't like the DH when the Astros were a NL team, but I have come to like it since we moved to the AL.

Also we will now see advertisements on the hats and jerseys. I absolutely hate that rule.