PLAY BALL!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Great story! I love it. I like your detailed description of the history of the show and its star character. I watched the YouTube video. I now see clearly the significance of the t-shirt. I'm guessing it will be popular among the older fans. Thanks, Stu.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Uh oh...the Cleveland Guardians already exist as a Rollerblading team! I wonder what $$$ they'll take to let the Clevland Baseball Team use their name.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Social media is buzzing over the Cleveland Indians’ choice of the Guardians name, since a roller derby team seems to already to bear the moniker – and website.

If you type in www.clevelandguardians.com, you get a page about a men’s flat track roller derby travel team, with a logo of a winged-helmeted man resembling the Guardians of Traffic from the Hope Memorial Bridge. That’s also the inspiration for the Major League Baseball team.

Social media buzzing over another Cleveland Guardians team in wake of Indians announced name change

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

The Cleveland Indians were my first sports team I followed closely when I was a kid.

I do not follow them closely now but sure remember the days of Feller, Wynn, Luke Easter, Larry Doby and lament the loss of the name.

Don't quite get this new name.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Dodger fans were out in record numbers for the hated Astros last night. They booed, tossed things on the field, had fights in the stands...all while the Astros were coolly putting them away 3-0! I think this might have been the unruliest crowd the Astros have faced this year, even more so than the crowds at the Yankee's games in the Bronx.

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Like everything, the Law of Diminishing Returns has been eclipsed and any day now the Astros will become a sentimental favorite due to the overkill of the fans.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

RIP a great Astro. He had devastating stuff, was struck down too early with a Stroke that effectively ended his career. He tried to comeback but was never successful, and post career suffered financial losses that at one point left him homeless and living on the street.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

R.I.P. I remember he was outstanding until the stroke. Sad, sad story.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I lived in Humble in the late 70's and early 80s. I remember Richard and Jose Cruz and Art Howe. They had some good teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

The Mets not signing Kumar Rocker over concerns about his elbow. Rocker can go back to Vanderbilt or sign with an independent minor league team. His agent said he's not going to go back to college. This is a similar situation to what the Astros faced in 2014 with the #1 overall pick, Brady Aiken, who after the fact the Astros discovered arm issues and backed out of offering him the max and I think they offered him something less that was allowed by MLB, they declined and he didn't sign. It was something that the Astros felt the family hid from them, and ultimately might have been proven true as he did end up having Tommy John Surgery, but was drafted by the Indians the next year at #17 and I believe he never made it to the Majors and is out of baseball.

Accord to this article on MLB.com there is a program that is voluntary and protects the MLB clubs and to some degree the players.

Mets opt not to sign No. 10 pick Rocker

Rocker could have avoided the situation by consenting to an MLB-sponsored program that shares the medical information of top Draft pitchers, but he risked falling precipitously on Draft boards if his MRIs revealed significant elbow or shoulder issues. As such, sources said that Rocker did not participate, which allowed the Mets to decline signing him without even making an offer. Per MLB rules, they would have needed to offer him a deal worth at least 40% of his $4.74 million slot value had he participated in the program. But they also might not have drafted him at all if he did, based on his medicals.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Tonight is the Field of Dreams game. Yankees v White Sox, first MLB game ever played in the State of Iowa.

After being postponed in 2020, Major League Baseball's Field of Dreams Game is set for Thursday at in Dysersville, Iowa at a specially-constructed ballpark in the cornfields next to the movie site.

About 8,000 fans will be on hand to watch the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox in the first MLB game ever played in the state of Iowa.

"I’m looking forward to just being a kid in a candy store," said Dwier Brown, who played Ray Kinsella's father in the 1989 film, selected in 2017 for the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

So it's not the original field shown in the movie. Makes sense. But the ambiance will be there. One of my all-time top 3 favorite movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder about the logistics for this game. That is unlikely to have any of the MLB stuff, I wonder about the locker room, is there one? Are they busing to the game? Where are they coming from, Chicago?

Going to be pricey to be at the game.

Given how few seats are available, ticket prices have gone through the roof. The Chicago Sun-Times reported that as of Wednesday afternoon, the average ticket cost on TickPick was $1,326.19, with the most expensive sitting at $3,972 and the cheapest going for $1,220. Only people with an Iowa ZIP code were allowed to buy tickets.

Where is the Field of Dreams field located? Everything to know about MLB's movie-inspired stadium

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Change of topic. The Cubs today gave Jake Arrieta his unconditional release. Tough move, but he's been ineffective since he returned to the Cubs on a 1-year contract. He was one of the heroes of the 2016 World Championship team, but it looks like his career has come to a difficult place. I wonder if anyone will pick him up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

For me, the Field of Dreams game was a great and memorable experience. My favorite moments were 1) the HR balls disappearing into the corn and 2) the overhead drone shots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

1. I enjoyed the Field of Dreams game
    2. I loved JR Richard and Bobby Welch when I was a kid.
    3. The Astros still suck.
    4. But not as much as Dave Roberts. What a heaping pile of dung that guy is.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

8th No hitter of the season yesterday, tying the record set in 1884 the first year they pitched overhand. Plus it was the 1st MLB start of pitcher Tyler Gilberts career. D'Backs pitcher no hit the Padres on 102 pitches, only 5K's. Last guy to do it in his 1st start was somebody name Bobo Holloman who only played one year of MLB with the Orioles in 1953.

Still some time left in the season for another one to set a new all-time record.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I read in The Athletic that it looks like the Cubs and Reds will be playing in the 2022 Field for Dreams game. First, I'm happy there's going to be a second game. Second, I'm both a Cubs and a Reds fan, so I'm excited about it. Here's an excerpt from the article:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

I saw something in the Astros/Royals game that I had never seen. Royals pitcher was on the mound ready to go to his windup and he dropped the ball, it's a balk and runner on 1st advanced to 2nd. I've seen a lot of balks in my life but I've never seen one where the pitcher just drops the ball.

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Neither have I, but I understand why it's a balk. I'm guessing the Royals didn't argue.

20. Terry O'Keefe

No but he was pulled from the game! I think they were going to do it soon anyway so probably not just because he balked.