Paterno cleans up on recruiting !

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by AJNJ, Jan 24, 2006.

1. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Took QB Devlin out of Miami.
    Took Logan El and Phil Taylor from Maryland.
    I forget who they beat Nebraska for.

Working on wr Vidal Hazelton. There's a strong chance they may pull him from USC.

Penn State is cashing their chips in on a great recruiting year.

2. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Did anyone know

<r>Did anyone know that JoPa's middle name is "The Phoenix." <E>:roll:</E></r>

3. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Re: Did anyone know

<r><QUOTE author="Tennessee Tom"><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

<br/>
    Tom <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E></r>

4. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

I just hope that one certain rotund SEC coach has the same middle name! :?

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Skybox teams are all doing well on the recruiting trail!

Terry

6. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Yeah, it looks like all the Skybox teams are back. If Tennessee,WSU and AZ turn it around we'll have a full house.

Penn State has grabbed a few players who were previously committed,

Linebacker Bani Gbadyu had previously committed to Louisiana State, Receiver/defensive back Cedric Jeffries to Virginia. PSU also has a tranferee from Michigan DE Rogers, who will be eligible to play in 2006 and is supposedly a good player. He makes up for a pretty good DE we lost to Hawaii.

If they get Vidal Hazelton, that's 5 who had originally committed elsewhere. The OSU/PSU game paid big dividends. Logan El was one of several recruits who had made up their minds at that time. I think the reason he kept MD waiting was to ward off potential hassles. from MD fans and coaches. Recruiting is not a pleasant experience for players who choose to go out of state.

7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:twisted:

Hazelton is a wonderful player. It would be just toooooo bad if PSU were to steal him from the University of South Central at the last minute...

........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...........JO'Co

8. BobW

BobW New Member

I'm not usually the type to bust on a kid but this guy took self-absorption to a new level; he verballed to Maryland months ago, he stands up and acknowledges the crowd chanting his name at a Terp basketball game last weekend, calls his press conference in Baltimore (the middle of Terrapin country), shows up wearing a bright red tie, invites Gloria Friedgen (the head coaches wife), talks about playing close to home in front of great fans, and then announces he's going to PSU.

I felt awful for Gloria Friedgen. She looked like the Southwest Airlines "Wanna get away?" poster girl.

9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

It's not often Penn State and Nebraska meet in football recruiting battles. But Penn State beat the Cornhuskers twice this week for high school players.

Evan Royster, a running back from Westfield High School in Chantilly, Va., made a verbal commitment Thursday night to the Nittany Lions. A few days earlier, offensive lineman J.B. Walton of Lackey High in Indian Head, Md., committed to Penn State. :evil:

10. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

LOGAN EL

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Bob, I agree with you to an extent. I don’t like the hat game, although I thought Logan El was articulate and gave a classy presentation on his process of elimination, thanking the coaches of Florida,Tennessee and Maryland. Logan El biggest mistake was verballing right after his sophomore year in HS. That gave him way too much time to think about the recruiting process and was a bit premature imho. If Logan El had changed his mind months ago, would Maryland stop recruiting him? Would there be any guarantees that his family, friends and high school coaches get less or more pressure from MD? Some of these high profile recruits have had rocks thrown through their windows, families and friends acosted and harrassed. Angry exchanges took place at the press conference, he was called a traitor.<br/>
    <br/>
    The red tie, I have no idea. Holding a press conference in his home state? Where else was he going to have one? Could he bus his family, friends and high school coaches to Happy valley?<br/>
    <br/>
    Gloria Friedgen ? Got to question whether her attendance was in violation of NCAA rules. College coaches are not allowed to be in attendance at these press conferences. The only reports of Logan El inviting her that I have seen was on the MD internet boards which have proven to be grossly inaccurate time and time again.<br/>
    <br/>
    Like you, I don’t like the hoopla of these big announcements. All I can say is that many kids with his resume’ of offers do it. Keep in mind these kids are egged on by ESPN, every recruiting resource as well as their own peers. This is not the 1st nor will it be the last big announcement. <br/>
    <br/>
    I don’t think Logan El was being disrespectfull, I think it’s more of a case of MD frustration. The Fridge no longer has Vanderlinden’s recruits to win with and it shows in his back to back 5-6 campaigns. Penn State is not the only school raiding MD out of it’s bumper crop of recruits. MD has verbals from only 4 of the top 40 players in the state and those are the lower ones. They are losing recruits to Connecticut. If MD was cleaning up their own backyard, no one would care.</r>

11. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Husker

<r>That's a tough egg for Nebraska to crack. I'm sure if PSU was recruiting closer to Nebraska the shoe would be on the other foot.<br/>
    <br/>
    I give Nebraska a lot of credit for making their pressence felt. There is no lack of effort here.<br/>
    <br/>
    Pss. you need some of those Jersey kids whose families don't care about attending the games in person. <E>:lol:</E></r>

12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

AJNJ,

I like your beer mugs! Cute!

Don

13. BobW

BobW New Member

Re: LOGAN EL

<r><QUOTE author="AJNJ"><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

We on opposite sides of this so we're going to see things differently. I think Logen-El was being very disrespectful. The kid calls his press conference in Baltimore, the middle of Terp country, when he could have had this in DC or at his damn high school for that matter. He knew the place would be full of Terp fans, he wanted his 15 minutes, and he knew he was going to break their hearts. He wore a red tie for chrissakes. A buddy of mine that was there (I watched on TV) and said Gloria Friedgen was all smiles until he pulled out that pic of JoePa, then she put her hand over her mouth, said something into her cell phone, and got out of there.<br/>
    <br/>
    I liked what I read on ND Nation, that Logan-El has some of T.Os qualities. I don't wish anything bad on him, he's only a kid, but what he pulled on Tuesday just plain sucks. I thought the same thing two years ago when Jordan Steffy took off his jacket to reveal a Michigan State jersey then pulled it off to reveal a Maryland jersey. MSU fans might be happy to know he hasn't amounted to a hill of beans and with Josh Portis becoming eligible in 2007 Steffy will never see the field again.</r>

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm on BobW's side on this one. It's appropriate to label the kid's antics the TO Syndrome.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah from everything I've read this was totally classless. It was beyond the old hat switcheroo, which I think is stupid. But in the end it's a small blip in the radar of life, in reality only a few people saw it and only feelings were hurt. I just hate to see all this stuff that goes on nowdays. I prefered the old way, the kid committed to the coaches and the fans found out later on.

If you watched the Army All-Star game there was a parade of kids doing the whole hat switcheroo, what's the point. They are being pushed by adults to further the adults agenda not the kids, they are just using the kids.

And as we've found out with kids like Josh Portis that their parents are using them for their own agenda as well, and Portis is not the only kid. There is a whole new wave of Tennis dads that have found there way into college football.

Terry

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Very well expressed, Terry.

17. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Marylands # 1 Hotdog and Public Enemy # 1.

<r>Here’s your loud mouthed braggadocio everyone is talking about.<br/>
    <br/>
    Marylands # 1 Hotdog and Public Enemy # 1.<br/>
    <br/>
    <URL url="http://media.putfile.com/Logan-El-Full-Clip">http://media.putfile.com/Logan-El-Full-Clip</URL><br/>
    <br/>
    As an OFFENSIVE lineman , I would say Logan El needs a lot of practice with his hands and his footwork to reach T.O. status. Logan’s hat stomping and finger pointing routine doesn’t show proper technique.<br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E></r>

18. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Bob, You can correct me if I'm wrong but many of your comments are to a large extent an exact rehashment of the MD fans who I have come accross on the internet, so i'm not sure what is your view and if you are just rehashing comments from people who are over the top and angry as opposed to more normal dissapointed.

Everything from the location to the red tie and the overwhelming MD fans is a gross gross exageration . I think you live in MD. Do you realize that DC , Logan's home and high school is a lot closer to College Park than a sports bar in Inner Harbor Baltimore? Dc is 10 miles away, Inner Harbor 33 miles away and a 4:50 conference means rush hour traffic.
    Secondly his choice was fine. This was a sports bar with a capacity of nearly 250 persons. Of the 200 people in attendance many were his own family and friends. Add the local PSU alumni chapter and the majority were PSU fans. Where did these hundreds of MD fans come from? Would you deem it proper for Logan to have a presser in his high school gym where several hundred if not a couple of thousand MD fans can get dissapointed?

And the red tie, how does anyone come up with the idea that a red tie = an insult ? I wear a red tie. Paterno wears one.

Did you watch Gloria Friedgen leave the conference? What's with that?
    She cares only about Logan if he chooses MD and doesn't bother to congratulate or wish him luck? One would expect more class from a coaches wife whose bar is raised a tad higher than an 18 year old. There's that other rumor that she was invited, but if announcing is not supposed to be a special event why did she co ordinate the pom poms over the internet. Maybe Mr. Fridge was too busy making his own lunch and not advising his wife about borderline NCAA infractions.

I'd agree the kid did not use good judgement. He put himself in an awkward situation and what he should have done was leak out his choice a couple of days earlier. But this conspiracy theory is total baloneyand the reality is that you have a bunch of grossly dissapointed MD fans who had had their recruiting arses handed to them not only by PSU grabbing 7 of MD's top 9 but by every other school which has raped and pillaged the state of MD for 36 of their top 40 recruits. If it was MD who had 7 of 9, this would not be a big deal.

Penn State has been through this plenty of times in the past. Rutherford, Jones,Womack,Kendra,Sims,Henne and on and on. During the lean years the crybabies of PSU wept like the MD fans are today. They distort the truth, trash a players character and make typical bozo internet comments about situations they haven't a clue about.

If Logan El really wanted to hurt the Fridge and all these people in MD, he could have easily kept his mouth shut and just FAX his LOI on the date that it was due. That's the easiest and best way to hurt any program. Just string them along and keep them guessing. At least Logan gave Fridge time to make some last minute phone calls.

One last point, did it ever occur to anyone that Logans El 's 1st and primary concern was to share this moment with his family and friends?

19. Terry O'Keefe

Nope. If he, or any of the other kids from all across the country who are enthralled with making the big splashy announcement, were mainly concerned abuot family and friends they would have had a get together at home with those family and friends and made his announcement. But IMHO Logan-El (and others not to unfairly imply that Logan-El is the only kid who's done this or will do this) was mainly concerned about himself.

Terry

20. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

1. You assume he has a small family.
    2. You assume he has few friends.
    3. You assume he has a very large house to accomodate so many people.

Based on these faulty assumptions, it is clear that you would agree that holding the event at a sports bar for 200 well wishers is quite an appropriate choice.