Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 8, 2021.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Re: Jade Carey, what a comeback. After having just a terrible time with the vault she rebounded to grab gold in the floor. Nice.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

As to the ladies soccer team...if you're kneeling in some sort of social protest and your black teammate is standing as a sign of respect, you're probably just some kind of narcissistic moron.
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

There is no doubt that Rapinoe is one of the all time great Women's Soccer players, but she is also a very politically active person. Whether it be fighting for equal pay for the National Team, or for LGBTQ rights, or other politically charged issues. I do wonder if her fellow teammates see the world as she does, and if not do they wish she'd tone it down a little and focus more on just being one of the greatest players ever, which is why I wondered, again maybe unfairly, if the team was not focused on the pitch but at least part of them on how the world viewed their social conscience or "wokeness".

I don't mean to take anything away from the Canadians, they played and deserved to win. Congrats to our Northern neighbors.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want American athletes walking around the Olympic Village, competing, or standing on the awards platform wearing clothing saying America Sucks! When our athletes make demonstrations announcing deficits in our social fabric, they're doing nothing more than disparaging the US. They can dress up that platter of crap as a "social protest" but it's nothing more than uncalled for criticism of their home country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

One last comment on Rapinoe that ranting lesbian. I don't even consider half her outrage as legit. I think she's just trying to be the female Kaepernick and cash in on the trashing of America. Subway's not Nike but it's a start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Rapinoe is officially old news now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Simone Biles wins a Bronze in the Balance Beam, I wonder if she will retire from competition now or will she take time off and then return to competition?

8. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

See a psychiatrist and retire I hope. Then please save us from any further woke drama and have a good life outside of sports of any kind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

When was the last time that a bronze medal winner consumed 90% of Olympic gymnastics coverage. It was unfair to her teammates who did a really nice job.

10. Terry O'Keefe

The US Womens Soccer team took the Bronze medal, glad they go home with something even if it was a disappointment. Megan Rapinoe isn't likely to be on our next World Cup or Olympic Team, she's had a distinguished career but also a polarizing one. I won't be shocked if she gets into politics.

11. Terry O'Keefe

American Baseball player Eddie Alvarez is going to be one of the few athletes in history to medal in both the winter and summer Olympics. He already has a Winter Olympic Medal for a Short Track Skating Relay team that he was on and now the American Baseball team is guaranteed a medal as they will play Japan for the Gold medal.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Have to admit, I stayed up last night to watch the final round of the women's golf and check in on the basketball final.
    An incredible story involving Molly Seidel a US distance runner. Molly has been an accomplished cross country runner but somehow ended up representing the US in the women's marathon. The race was her THIRD ever marathon. Molly, an ND grad, won the bronze.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Seidel is also only the 3rd American to win a medal in the Olympic marathon and her qualifying race was the 1st competitive marathon she ever ran. Incredible accomplishment especially considering how brutal the hot and humid weather conditions were in Tokyo.

Also great job by the mens BB team. Hit a few potholes during the journey but are returning home with the gold after a tough and tense game against a talented French team that scrapped and clawed until the final buzzer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

And a shout out to Milwaukee’s greatest Aggie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, I don't know about you but I was having flashbacks to the glory days in Detroit BB when the Bad Boys ruled the world and made you pay for every inch in the paint. I still don't know what is and is not a foul in Olympic BB. Seems like they got away with everything other than grabbing the facemask.

16. Bobdawolverweasel

I agree Mike. Holiday hit Fournier and other French guards with some NHL style body work that really took them out of their comfort zone. The defensive pressure USA put on their high scoring guards was a critical reason we won.

17. Terry O'Keefe

I watched some of the Women's golf final, it was sort of fun watching the girl from India, she gave up so much yardage off the tee 40 - 50 yds to Nelly Korda. She was hitting hybrids into greens while Korda was hitting 7 or 8 irons.
    She was awesome getting up and down, terrific touch with her putter. But that's a tough way to go trying to keep up with Korda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I was.watching the Women's US Amateur the other day and the 1968th ranked amateur, who looked kind of like a rag-a-muffin beat the #1 ranked amateur with scrappy scrambling shots. She was from a family full of ranked tennis players and she wouldn't give up. Impressive!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

USA wins the overall medal competition by a good margin over China, we were tied with them for number of Gold medals.

Odd Olympics for sure.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think by winning the Woman's Volleyball gold the US ended up with one more gold than China. I think China won 7 out of a possible 8 gold medals in diving events. this was offset by US victories in sports such as basketball, volleyball, water polo etc. that involve 2 weeks of competition.

• Like Like x 1