OHIO STATE

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Apr 19, 2019.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

In other news...NU's QB in early spring Heisman chat....

BEEN WAITING A LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time for this ladies....

There's a train coming....

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Ohio State now has five QBs with the addition of Hoak from Kentucky, who will have two years of eligibility as a graduate transfer. That puts us one scholarship over the limit at this point in time.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, it will be interesting to see who starts and who stays. Alabama has Tua, Mac Jones and 2 highly touted true freshmen. I have the interest here. Tua will start but who stays?

4. Don Ballard

Well, the Nfl Draft is completed and Ohio State had 9 players drafted, second only to? any ideas Kp?o_O

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Not surprising Don, Ohio State has for quite awhile been one of the top recruiting programs, along with Alabama. With the coaching you've had in JT and Urban the net has been a great run of consistent excellence on the field.

BTW great pickup in that QB transfer from Kentucky. Gives you some experience in the QB room, I saw where he's been told he will be competing for the starting job. I would expect that he won't get the nod, but still having a kid as a backup with experience is pretty important esp if you are going to use your QB as a runner as well as a passer.

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I think Alabama had ten, again.

7. Don Ballard

Yes Terry, our QB room has improved vastly over the weekend. Corey, awaiting Kp's reply, but yes Alabama!

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to the NFL, but it is good for recruiting to have that many guys drafted. I wonder though, some of those late round choices who were early entries could have benefited from another year in school. Alabama had some early departures go undrafted. Maybe they should have listened to some wise advice.

9. Don Ballard

Kp, I agree and we had several draftees in the lower rounds as well. Problem is everyone seems to think they qualify for the NFL. Half of these youngsters will never make the grade. Good for recruiting yes, not very favorable for the young men. Life experiences never seem to change from one generation to the next.

10. Terry O'Keefe

My assumption is that many, if not most of these kids are probably not really interested in the education, they are the kids who had they been baseball players would have gone to the minors rather than college out of high school. Sometimes kids who are declared to be leaving early, aren't really, they might have eligibility left but do have their degree and just decide to go to the NFL rather than stay for their 5th year.

I have no doubt that some of them decide to go because they are healthy and don't want to risk injury by playing another year in college. We had a kid, Alex Bars, who is an OL who had an ACL he stayed for his Sr. year and that happened and he went undrafted. Now he's a good OL, not sure if he'd come out as a Jr what his NFL status would have been. He did sign with the Bears so once he's healthy he'll have his shot.

If the kids who came out mostly end up on practice squads, they will be making money and be able to work full time on making it in the NFL without worrying about going to class. Sometimes I think if they aren't drafted they should be able to come back to college. Baseball players can be drafted after their Jr year in college and they can decide to stay, they can do that after HS as well. So maybe that would be a good thing, but then it would also make team building a big unknown and I doubt the NFL wants to have college players have the option of going with the team that drafts them or rolling their name back into the pot for the next draft.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, Orrrr they come out early, they don't graduate, they don't get drafted, they bounce around a few years on taxi squads, or practice squads or short term contracts and then they have nothing. In most places you can't even coach in high school unless you can get a teaching credential.

12. Terry O'Keefe

All true kp, but as I said if they'd played baseball this is what most of them would do right out of HS, not even have 3 years of college. Flop in baseball, which is the most likely outcome, and they work at the mall. I doubt many of them even care at this point in their life, they just want some coin in their pocket, play ball and chill.

13. IrishCorey

you flop in baseball and you go to college free. It's standard MLB contract that all signees receive college tuition paid for if they sign out of HS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I was aware that contracts did contain that, but thought it was one of those things that gets negotiated and that if you were picked in the 17th round, forget about it.

15. IrishCorey

nah, I know guys who went lower than that who got a free college education. It's state college, but it's free so you really can't complain.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I wonder how many use that?

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Of course they get a free college education if they go to college straight out of HS too.

18. IrishCorey

quite a few. There's a hard deadline to begin using it, but most do by the time that rolls around.

19. Terry O'Keefe

By now I'm sure everybody has read about Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart saying that they are going to do everything they can to bring Urban Meyer to USC. I listen to ESPNU on the way to the office and those guys all said that they think that Urban will be the next USC coach.

I guess Helton is not feeling much love and a ton of pressure and heat to have a big year.

20. Don Ballard

Terry as to your last post on this topic 5/1/19, I really would be surprised if Urban would be comfortable in LA! After being terrible thin at QB with three recent QBs transferring in the last two years and Haskins turning pro, we now have six QBs on the roster for 2019. Not a lot of playing time but some pretty solid individuals.